Chapter 20

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, all the kids were back in school. Despite her sadness towards that dream of hers yesterday, SungMi somehow managed to get over it. She had cried on DanBi’s shoulder for half an hour on the day before and DanBi did a great job on consoling her, telling her repeatedly that it was just a bad dream.

It took DanBi almost the whole day for her to make sure that SungMi had totally forgotten about it and that she was no longer sad. After the tears at the ice cream shop, DanBi took her to the playground and even let SungMi practiced her skateboard with her watching on the side. Deep down, DanBi felt like SungMi was a small, fragile kid who needed to be looked after so much. She knew the fact that they were the same age, but in her eyes, SungMi will always be the little girl who she loved.

 Both the girls walked inside the school gate together too that day, as they often found themselves running into each other on the way to school a lot lately. DanBi smiled to herself seeing that SungMi had recovered fully from her emotional wreck that happened the day before. As much as sometimes SungMi’s behavior was a puzzle to DanBi, she still preferred her cheerful and carefree self, instead of when SungMi was crying and having a breakdown.

DanBi and SungMi were walking towards their locker with SungMi blabbering about something funny that her brother had said that morning when they walked pass DaeHyun, who smiled benignly at the both of them.

The girls returned his smile and SungMi whispered to DanBi’s ear then, “It is actually quite nice to see DaeHyun smile more these days. I still remember the look on his face every morning before the classes started, before you came around. It was as if there was always something that made him angry, resulting in his cranky and moody behavior.”

DanBi only threw her a smile and nodded as they reached their locker. She stared at the hallway where they walked pass DaeHyun and couldn’t help but to think to herself, but still, beyond that smile, there is a strong longing towards his sister. The one he has not seen in years and missing her like crazy.

Since the bell will not ring anytime soon, SungMi asked DanBi to follow her to the music room for a while. Without any second thoughts, DanBi followed the girl as SungMi liked to go there a lot lately. She often wondered that question to herself on what SungMi was actually looking for in the music room. In a day, SungMi will go there for more than three times. Sometimes DanBi will go with her and there were times when SungMi will go alone. However, she decided not to ask, as she did not think that it was actually something important.

They reached the music room few minutes later and SungMi opened the door very slowly and gently, as if she was afraid that she might interrupt whoever was in the room. She peep her head inside and looked around the room, only to find that it was empty and no one was in sight.

SungMi let out a soft but disappointed sigh and entered the room, trailed by DanBi who later closed the door. SungMi walked straight towards the piano and sat on the stool, looking a little bit gloomy all of a sudden. DanBi, who was curious to know why her mood changed suddenly, took a seat on the empty space beside her and asked, “Are you … looking for something, SungMi ?”

SungMi shook her head and began pressing the piano keys randomly, before it slowly turned to a soft and slow melody as she began playing a song that popped into her head. DanBi smiled and quietly listened to the songs that SungMi was playing randomly. There were nursery rhymes, songs from the 60’s and 70’s, and the latest song that just came out on the radio.

“I didn’t know you could play,” DanBi said softly with a huge smile plastered on her face, “you play very well.”

SungMi only returned her smile and while she was still playing songs haphazardly, DanBi added, “We’ve been to this room a lot of times already but this is the first time I hear you play. Why do you never play a song each time we came ? Usually every time we came, we will only stand at the door, you peep inside the room and then we will leave. What are you looking for actually ?”

SungMi stopped playing and let out a sigh. She knew that someday DanBi would ask that question, it was just a matter of time. Well, who would not ? They went to the music room any time possible and spent not more than ten seconds there. It will be weird if DanBi never suspected anything. Well, until that day.

Lifting her hands from the black and white keys, SungMi turned to DanBi who was looking at her questioningly. “Actually,” SungMi began, “there is something I need to tell you. It is the reason why do I keep coming back to this music room.” She said in a monotone.

DanBi nodded and leaned closer, waiting for her to continue. She had never seen SungMi looking this serious before and whatever it is that SungMi was going to tell her, it must be very important for the girl.

SungMi stared at the black and white keys in front of her, “Not long ago, I was passing by this room on my way back to class from the toilet. You see, I was never interested in this room before. I do play piano at home but I did not really feel the need to play it here, at school. Besides, this is just a room filled with musical instruments that none of the students is interested in. However, that day, as I was walking by, I heard someone playing a beautiful yet simple song on the piano, and that made me frozen at where I was. I felt that the song was very close to my heart and I simply could not move to go back to class. It was as if its beauty captivated me, and the pianist played it again and again that I managed to memorize the melody inside my head.”

DanBi nodded again and hesitated a little before she asked softly, “What song was that person playing ?” To be honest, DanBi had not actually quite understood the full idea of the story SungMi was telling her and hoping that SungMi will continue. She still could not see the relation between the song that SungMi heard with her kept coming back to the room.

As if she could read her mind, SungMi proceeded, “I feel in love with that song the minute I listened to it and I knew that it was somehow special. I was only listening to it from outside the room. I have never seen the real manuscript, I do not know the title or the composer, and I do not even know the person who played it that time. I only know that the song is close to my heart, that I memorized the melody that very moment and now I am even working on writing the manuscript myself. Now, the reason I keep coming back to this room is that I am actually hoping that I can get to hear the song again and see whom is the one playing it. Maybe if I get the chance to meet the pianist, I could get to know on why that song means a lot to me, as I could not get it out of my mind. And it is as if I am addicted to it, and I feel nostalgic each time I play it at home. I am immensely attached to the song, DanBi. ”

There was silence for a moment as SungMi had stopped talking, did not know what else she can say. She had told DanBi everything. Meanwhile her friend, who had been listening attentively, smiled softly at SungMi and rubbed her shoulder gently. DanBi could not help but to feel amused with SungMi, instead of feeling weird. There was always something special that will bother SungMi’s mind and emotions. The things in her mind were not the ordinary things that other teenage girls’ were thinking of, usually.

“So … you say you do not know anything about the song, but you memorize the melody and even write your own manuscript ?” DanBi asked, to which SungMi nodded eagerly. She could see a glimpse of frustration in SungMi’s eyes, and DanBi understood that. For someone like SungMi, it will be such an annoyance to have questions in her head. Especially the ones that she really wanted to know the answers from but had no idea where to look.

SungMi began playing the song that she heard according to her own piece. The song done halfway, as she worked on it a lot the day before. A few more days and SungMi was sure that she could complete it.  It did not take long for her to play until the end, as it was not complete and throughout the time DanBi kept trying to search in her mind whether she had heard the song before.  But sadly, after SungMi had pressed her last note, DanBi could only look at her sadly and said, “Sorry, I’ve never heard of it before. Do you think it was a song ? Or could i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter