Chapter 21

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Few days soon passed since the incident in the music room. DanBi was trying so hard not to feel guilty with her decision and often reminded herself that it was for the best. Her heart kept telling her that the time was not right yet for DanBi to reveal what she knew to DaeHyun and SungMi. Hence, DanBi kept a very close eye on SungMi while at the same time trying to observe more about her family. There was something in that household, which did not seem right to Dan Bi.

In the meantime, SungMi, who had no suspicion towards her friend at all, lived her life the way she used to every day. She seemed clueless about DanBi’s curiosity and even DanBi was doing a very good job not to let her emotions gave so much away.

Therefore, the days went on, until one evening came when SungMi was enjoying her free time skateboarding along the street. Unlike her other free days when she would usually hang out with DanBi and Zelo, SungMi decided to spend the rest of the day alone.

“DORAWA ~ JIGEUM NAEGA ~ NEOL ITNEUNDANEUNGE JEONGMAL SWIBJIANHA ~” SungMi sang happily while pushing the skateboard forward with her foot. The smile never left her face, though she received various looks from the public. Some of them only stared at her as if she was insane, some of them threw her a smile before singing the next line with her, and there were people who only shook their heads disapprovingly.

SungMi could not be bothered by any of them at all, as she felt happy to be spending the day with her one and only skateboard. It had been a while since the last SungMi spent some time with her old skateboard and SungMi definitely enjoyed the time so much.

She stopped at a traffic light, waiting for the light to turn green so that she can cross the road. Her skateboard was still on the ground, under her right foot. She hummed a song while waiting for the cars to stop patiently. She really was in a good mood.

While she was waiting, she saw an old lady carrying plastics of grocery stuff, walking on the other side of the road. The old lady looked tired and the bags looked extremely heavy for her to carry. SungMi’s heart went out to her and started to get impatient as to why the cars were not stopping, and she wanted to help the old lady out.

Her feet were itching to get to where the old woman was but could not because the traffic was not green yet. From where she was, SungMi can only watch as a group of cyclists was cycling towards the old woman and knocked her over, causing her to fall down along with her groceries.

“YAH !!” SungMi yelled towards the cyclists, who did not stop to help that old woman at all. Instead, all of them just cycled away without sparing another glance towards the poor woman who was picking up her groceries from the ground.

SungMi let out an exasperated sigh, “Curse this damn traffic light ! Just turn green already and let the cars freaking stop !” SungMi cursed, as her patients had grown thin.  As if the traffic light heard her ranting, the light turned green and SungMi wasted no time to get to where the old woman was. She skateboarded across the road and stopped beside the old woman.

The poor old woman, who was crouching on the ground while picking her groceries up, looked up and saw SungMi. SungMi threw her a smile and said, “Let me help you, ahjumma.” Without waiting for the old woman to answer, SungMi picked up all of her groceries and put them in the grocery bags. Since she was much, much younger than the ahjumma, she did not take a long time to collect all the things on the floor.

 SungMi collected everything and handed the bags to the old woman, who smiled at her gratefully. SungMi returned her smile and could not help but to stare at the old woman longer than she should.

The elderly woman's face etched with wrinkles and her silver gray hair tied neatly into a bun. Veins snaking up her hands as she reached out towards SungMi, grabbing the bags that SungMi was handing her. SungMi could see something in her eyes as they looked at her; they were warm and full of love. The elder’s smile was caring and soft, and SungMi somehow had to admit that she had seen that smile before.

No one said a word at first, as the old woman was staring right at SungMi too. SungMi’s eyes must be cheating on her as she thought she saw tears were glistering in the old lady’s eyes. “Ahjumma, are you okay ? Are you hurt anywhere ?” SungMi asked, breaking the silence and the staring contest.

The old woman snapped out of her daze and awkwardly nodded, “Oh, yes. I am fine. Thank you, young lady for helping me.” She said as she tore her gaze away from SungMi. There was something about SungMi that seemed so familiar to her, but she could not really point her finger on it. She felt awkward for staring at SungMi for so long and was afraid that the girl might get uncomfortable.

However, SungMi only grinned widely and said, “It was nothing. Curse those cyclists though. They should have stopped and helped you. They did not even turn to apologize. What a shame. I hope all of them will fall into the drain, with their bicycles along with them.”

The old woman laughed a little, followed by SungMi afterwards.

“Where are you heading, ahjumma ?” SungMi asked. “There is a lot of grocery bags that you need to carry on your own. Why don’t I help you carry them to wherever you are going ?” She offered but did not give the old lady any chance to answer as SungMi gently grabbed them from the old woman’s hands.

“Aigoo, it’s okay. I can carry them all. I do not want to bother you.” The elderly woman said and was about to take her bags from SungMi but the girl stepped back, shaking her head defiantly.

“It’s okay, ahjumma. Let me carry them for you. I am strong, you know. But it is not that I am saying you are weak, though. Just that I am also strong even though I am a girl. Come along, ahjumma. Lead the way.” SungMi said and started walking a few steps ahead, with her skateboard now between her arms.

The old lady only shook her head with a smile before trailing after SungMi and soon fell into step beside her. “Thank you so much, agassi. Sorry for bothering you.” The ahjumma said. “I’ll treat you to an iced lemon tea once we’ve arrived.”

SungMi threw the old lady a smile and said, “Ah, it is okay ahjumma. Do not worry about me. I am the one who will be in concern if I let you carry them all on your own. I am sure that I cannot sleep peacefully at night if I just let you. Anyway, my name is Lee SungMi. Just call me SungMi and don’t call me Mimi.”

The old lady laughed, “Why can’t I call you that ? It sounds cute to me. Mimi.” She said as she pinched SungMi’s cheek. Something actually made the elderly woman felt so familiar with about the girl. She knew that they just met but she felt so close to her. Hearing her name, the elderly woman was convinced that this was their first meeting.

In the meantime, SungMi was pouting while looking at the ahjumma. “I don’t like to be called Mimi. My oppa used to call me that a lot when I was a kid. I think it sounds like a dog’s name.” She said. “Promise me you will call me SungMi, ahjumma, and not Mimi.” She whined and the old woman smiled wider as they continued walking.

“Fine … I’ll just call you SungMi, all right ?” The elderly said and SungMi nodded in satisfaction. “What about you, ahjumma ? I do not want to keep calling you ahjumma, though. Personally, I do not think you are that old. What is ahjumma’s name ?” SungMi playfully asked.

The elderly woman raised an eyebrow at her compliment and said, “Aigoo, you’re such a sweet talker. Why do I not look old ? I have lived for a long time already on this Earth. I am just waiting for time to come and take me away. Anyway, to answer your question, my name is Jeon JunHui. People around me call me Mrs. Jeon. You can just call me that too.”

SungMi tipped her head to the side as if to think and then she shook her head. “If you don’t mind, can I just call you Jeon Omma ?” she asked nonchalantly, causing Mrs. Jeon’s eyes to widen. “Omma ? Why ? Do I look like your mother ?” Mrs. Jeon asked in curiosity. They just met not more than ten minutes ago and now this girl in front of her was asking whether she could call Mrs. Jeon ‘omma’. Not that Mrs. Jeon minded, but she was just curious instead. This could be their first and last meeting and might not see each other again. Why would SungMi want to call her omma ?

SungMi’s lips curved upwards, forming a smile as she said, “No, actually. You do not look like my mother at all. I know it sounds weird but I really do want to call you Jeon Omma. I wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter