Chapter 16

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“DanBi ah, I’m going to the toilet for a while.” SungMi said to DanBi one morning at school. DanBi who was reading her book only nodded at SungMi with a smile. “Okay.” She said before SungMi stood up and left the class.

SungMi went to the toilet on the same floor of her class but the toilets there were out of service so SungMi had to go to the upper levels. Once she was done with her business in the toilet, she passed by a music room while on her way to the stairs back downstairs.

She was just walking casually when she heard someone playing the piano from inside the music room. SungMi halted right in front of the door and stood silently while listening to the song that person was playing. She didn’t dare to open the door as she was scared that she might interrupt so she just stood there and listened.

SungMi hadn’t heard that song before but just by listening to the melody had her captivated and she couldn’t fathom why. The magic of the sound drew her curiosity as she fought with herself not to open the door, even though she already had her hand on the door knob. She felt the sadness of the music seeped into her body slowly and spread throughout her veins. She had no idea what the song was about, or who was the one playing it but yet new feelings came to her such as warmth, familiarity and it had caused her to tear up and SungMi did not know why.

Instead of barging inside the room like she would normally do, SungMi just stood there instead like a statue and as if her feet were cemented to the ground. She had lost the track of time as she kept listening to the black and white keys being pressed, creating a melody that she felt was so close to her heart yet she was sure that she hadn’t heard of it before.

She knew the notes of the song were simple, as SungMi recognized each and every key on the piano very well. It took her a while to realize that she was standing there for a good few minutes as the song was repeated about twice or thrice.

Somehow she didn’t feel like going back to her class after all. She could stand there for hours listening to the same song over and over again. She felt herself at ease, and an emotion that was so foreign to her but yet had kept her in serene.

Had not one of the teachers passed by the music room, SungMi will never return to her class.

“Lee SungMi.” A teacher called her name from behind, knocking her out of her daze. SungMi jumped in shock and turned around, only to find an angry looking Mr. Nam who was narrowing his eyes down at her. “Aren’t you supposed to be in your class ?” Mr. Nam asked sternly with stitched eyebrows.

SungMi nodded her head and bowed a few times before she quickly made her way to the classroom, leaving Mr. Nam behind who was shaking his head at her.

Throughout the lesson, SungMi couldn’t concentrate at all as the song kept playing inside her head. She couldn’t get the melodies of the piano out of her mind and for a moment she regretted so much for not seeing who was the one playing. If only she had opened the door, maybe she could ask the pianist of the song title and why the song was very close to her heart.

DanBi noticed SungMi’s weird behavior until the end of the lesson and once the bell rang, DanBi straight away asked, “SungMi ah, are you okay ? You seem to be a bit off, all of a sudden.” DanBi knew that there was something wrong with SungMi right after she returned from the toilet. DanBi too was about to ask what took her so long at the toilet but decided not to as SungMi kept zoning out throughout the lesson.

SungMi nodded her head at DanBi’s question with a smile. “I’m fine, DanBi ah. Don’t worry. Guess I’m just hungry. Like always.” She slung her school bag on her shoulder and said, “Let’s go.”

DanBi quickly stood up and ped her school bag. “Hold on,” She said as she was taking something out of her bag pack. SungMi cocked her head in confusion but then her eyes widened once DanBi handed her a small box wrapped with a beautiful wrapper. “Happy birthday, my dear SungMi !” DanBi cheered in full excitement as there was no one else in the class besides the two of them.

SungMi who was a little stunned, laughed a little before taking the gift and gave DanBi a big hug. “You know my birthday !” She said, while still embracing DanBi tightly. DanBi patted her back and said with a small laugh, “Of course I do ! What kind of friend would I be for not knowing my best friend’s birthday ?”

DanBi pulled away from the hug and held both of SungMi’s hands that were holding the little gift she gave her, “On this special day, I wish you all the very best, all the joy you can ever have and may you be blessed abundantly today, tomorrow and the days to come. I’m so grateful to have been blessed with you in my life. You’re a great friend, SungMi. I’ve never smiled as much as I always do when I’m with you. You always stood up for me, and no words can express how touched I am.” DanBi said sincerely as tears started to trickle.

SungMi was beyond touched as she felt hot wet tears welled up in her eyes and began rolling down her cheeks like river escaping dam. She had never received a birthday gift from a friend before and that was the first time. She will definitely treasure DanBi’s present a lot, as it meant the whole world to her.

SungMi hugged her again as she cried a river, with ragged currents flowing down her cheeks onto the collar of DanBi’s shirt. DanBi simply laughed at her while trying to hold back her own tears as she patted the girl’s back. “Aigoo .. why are you crying, love ? It’s your birthday !”

“Because it’s my birthday that I’m crying ! You are my first friend to be giving me a present !” SungMi wailed and for a brief moment she felt like she was sounding like a whale. DanBi laughed again and simply nodded her head, at the same time glad that she was SungMi’s first friend to give her a birthday present.

After the quite emotional moment, they both exited the classroom and were about to head towards the main gate when suddenly SungMi stopped walking. “Can we go to the music room first ? I promise it won’t take a while.” She asked while DanBi slanted her head to the side in confusion. “Music room ? What for ?” DanBi asked back but simply followed SungMi to the music room which was only upstairs.

Once arrived at the music room, SungMi slowly opened the door and peeked inside the room, only to find it empty. Her eyes wandered around the room but couldn’t find anyone. She lifted her shoulders and closed the door back. “Are you looking for something ?” DanBi asked once they started walking again.

SungMi shook her head and only threw her a smile. “Nope, nothing. Come along now !” She said while taking DanBi’s hand and walked towards the place where she hid her skateboard.

They exited the school compound and started walking home with SungMi on her skateboard while trying to keep up with DanBi who was obviously walking. Sometimes SungMi was a bit too fast and sometimes she was a bit too slow. After a few attempts, finally she was able to be on the same pace as DanBi.

“DanBi ah, do you want me to teach you how to ride a skateboard ? Once you know how, we can get you a skateboard together later and we can go skateboarding everywhere.” SungMi asked playfully while DanBi laughed. Looking at her, DanBi said, “No thank you, SungMi. I’m not really interested in skateboarding. I even doubt that I can ride one.”

“I can teach you ! I’m a great skateboarding teacher, if you must know. Last time I taught HyunSik oppa how to skate, and not only has he known how to skate now, but he also can ride a motorbike after that !” SungMi said.

DanBi frowned a little before she said in midst of her laughter, “I don’t think ... riding a bike and skateboarding is the same thing, SungMi.” SungMi tilted her head and she herself started to laugh too. Shaking her head a little, SungMi said, “You’re right. It doesn’t make any sense.”

DanBi turned to her again and asked in interest, “Why do you like skateboarding so much, SungMi ? It seems like you can never part with it. Sometimes I assume that you will also go to bed with your skateboard, which I hope isn’t true.”

SungMi thought about it for a while and just simply shrugged at DanBi’s question, “I don’t know. I just liked it. Sometimes I keep wondering about it too. My brothers don’t like skateboarding at all and it seems like I’m the only one in the family who do.”

They continued chatting with each other until they happened to pass by a ramp, where coincidentally all the B.A.P members were. Both of them stopped on their tracks and watched as Zelo was skateboarding and was trying to make a few slides on a ledge.

The boy was just about to make another spin when suddenly SungMi called his name, purely out of excitement, “Go, JunHong !” And that caused him to get startled and lost focus and he immediately fell flat on the ground. He groaned before yelling SungMi’s name in frustration, “Yah Lee SungMi !!”

SungMi quickly covered while DanBi only shook her head at SungMi.

“Sorry !” SungMi yelled back. The rest of B.A.P turned to them and motioned them to come over. SungMi and DanBi quickly made their way to all of them and again SungMi apologized to Zelo for startling him.

“I was almost managed to do that trick if it weren’t for you.” Zelo whined and SungMi only grinned sheepishly. “Sorry, JunHong ah.” She apologized, again, for the third time.

DaeHyun shook his head at her but said nothing. After that day when he snapped at SungMi at the carnival, DaeHyun hadn’t said a word to her. He still felt a little guilty that he had raised his voice at her when she was just being concerned and he knew that he had to apologize later.

To DaeHyun, things had really started to change completely now. He had never thought that he and his friends could somehow get along with SungMi despite her weird behaviors. He wasn’t sure himself as to why things had changed but he knew that it wasn’t a bad thing. A part of him pitied SungMi for not having friends at school but now not only she had DanBi, but him and the rest of his friends too.

“Sorry wouldn’t cut it, SungMi. But since it’s your birthday today, I’ll just let it pass.” Zelo said while knocking her head lightly, to which she whined.

DaeHyun’s eyes widened hearing that and quickly asked with his eyes staring right at SungMi, “Today is your birthday ?”

SungMi was startled to hear DaeHyun talking to her as he had hardly said a word to her throughout the week. “Yes.” She said while giving DaeHyun a nod. DaeHyun simply nodded in acknowledgment and started to stare at the open space without saying another word. A million and one thoughts were running inside his mind. Today... Is also …

“SungMi ah,” HimChan said, “We’ve never seen you doing any tricks with your skateboard.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter