Chapter 25

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After learning about the shocking news and trying to take it all in, DaeHo then said that he had to return to the hospital, after politely turning down ChanByul’s offer of having lunch together with them. He had spent two hours there explaining the whole situation to DaeHyun. However, before he left, DaeHo patted DaeHyun’s shoulder and apologized once again about what had happened.

He told DaeHyun again that everything will be just fine and all will fall into place soon. DaeHyun simply nodded and accepted the fact that though he now knew that JiHyun was still alive, in fact, she was SungMi after all; he couldn’t rush the timing of wanting to let SungMi know that. For the time being, he agreed that it will be kept as a secret from SungMi, until DaeHo was certain that SungMi was able to handle the truth once it was all brought upon her.

He found it hard to swallow anything during lunch but he had to as ChanByul was keeping a close eye on him. Despite the food that he ate was his favorite spaghetti meatballs, DaeHyun could hardly taste anything and his thoughts were wandering far away from the café.

Fortunately, he managed to finish about three quarter of the meal before they both exited the café, deciding to head home to finish cleaning the store room, which they had left abandoned to meet DaeHo.

There was nothing much they could do, even after knowing the truth. All they can think of at the moment was to wait and see, and for the time being DaeHyun will act as normally as possible around SungMi. It didn’t have to be a hard thing to do, as he had to admit that sometimes he could see JiHyun in SungMi.

As they were walking home, ChanByul noticed very well that DaeHyun seemed to be out of place and her heart went out to him. It must’ve been a shock to him, to finally know that his sister that he had been searching, waiting, and yearning all along was actually right in front of him all these while. He had found her, but he didn’t know that until the truth was out.

ChanByul herself was quite impressed by how small the world had been. Who would’ve thought that her ex-husband was actually the one who adopted JiHyun and treated her from her sickness ? It was definitely a small world after all.

Once they reached the front porch, ChanByul said to DaeHyun, “I think I can handle the store room on my own, love. Why don’t you take a walk around the park or meeting up with your friends ? I’m sure you would want to do something to distract your mind from, well, you know, the truth.”

DaeHyun looked at his mother and his confused gaze softened. At first, he felt bad for letting his mother do all the cleaning herself, as he had promised to help her, but he cannot deny that he actually needed a distraction.

And so, DaeHyun nodded his head and after giving his mother a hug, he turned away from the house and walked wherever his feet could carry him. He didn’t exactly know where he wanted to go. The first thought that came to his mind was meeting the boys, but DaeHyun somehow didn’t want to interrupt them during the weekends as they would be spending time with their own families.

Another person came to his mind and he was hesitated on whether he should call that person or not. His hand was ready to make the phone call but he couldn’t help but to hesitate. Fortunately, for him, the person called him and DaeHyun quickly answered.

“So, that was it. She’s my sister after all.” DaeHyun said as he looked at DanBi who was sitting beside him at a porch in front of DanBi’s house. They had agreed to meet after DanBi called him earlier, saying that there was something she needed to tell him. They met at DanBi’s house and at first, both of them didn’t know who would talk first but DanBi insisted that DaeHyun tell his story first.

Without wasting any time, DaeHyun then began filling her in with what he had just learned that day, and DanBi only listened quietly with no reactions. She nodded once in a while, but there was something about the look on her face that said she knew it already. And DaeHyun was somewhat confused by it.

He expected DanBi to get really shocked, as he did after hearing the truth but the girl seemed calm and composed, as if nothing about this shocked her at all. After he finished his story, DaeHyun looked at her with a confused expression, as if to ask ‘So ?’

DanBi let out a soft sigh as she looked up at the sky, before turning back to DaeHyun. She had expected that look from him and she knew that he must be wondering why she wasn’t reacting at all. And what she was about to say next was the reason she called him earlier.

“I am shocked, but not so much. Somehow I’ve already figured it out all these while, DaeHyun.” DanBi said. “In fact, the reason I called you is regarding this matter too actually. I hope you won’t get mad at me or anything. I really meant to tell you but I was still figuring out the right time.”

DaeHyun frowned and nodded his head, still not getting where this conversation was going. Whatever DanBi was going to say next must be very important, he thought.

“To be honest, I somehow already figured out that SungMi is your sister from quite the beginning. Well, not actually the beginning but I just did, lately. For your information, SungMi has been working on this song on the piano, which she claimed is very close to heart. The song is finished by now. Unfortunately, according to her, she knows nothing about the song. Who played it, or composed it, or the title of the song. She said that she only heard it once, played by someone at out school’s music room and she’s going crazy about it. She’s been writing her own piece of it. Until one day, I heard you playing the same song too and I remembered you said that there was no one else who knew about the song except your family and you. Since then, I was convinced that SungMi is actually JiHyun.”

DanBi took a breath as she was done explaining, and looked at DaeHyun to see his expression. She was hoping that DaeHyun won’t get mad at her for not telling him sooner, but she understood if he did. Even so, she had a reason on why she didn’t want to tell him at the beginning.

“I didn’t tell you straight away because I didn’t want to get your hopes up. I could be right and I could also be wrong. I didn’t have proof to even convince you that time. You might or might not believe me. But now, after you explained everything, it had just validated my suspicions.” DanBi added.

DaeHyun’s face was void of any emotions at first, before a smile slowly crept up on his face. He stared at the ground before looking at DanBi again, with a sincere smile on his face. “She’s writing a composition of the song, which she just heard but not seeing the real description ?” DaeHyun let out a chuckle before looking up at the sky, “Omma, appa, she’s really your girl after all. We didn’t get to teach her the song when she was little, and now here she is, writing her own version of the song appa made.”

DanBi only listened while giving DaeHyun a sad smile. She knew by now that DaeHyun must’ve felt the weight was lifted of his shoulders after he found out where JiHyun was. However, despite feeling relief that his sister was still alive, DaeHyun was still upset about one thing though.

“She’s doing well, all healthy and lively. It’s just that … she doesn’t remember any of us.”

On the way to school, the next day, SungMi was busy telling DanBi about the success of completing the song with the help of her brother. She definitely couldn’t hide her excitement and joy could be seen sparkling in her big eyes. DanBi’s smiled never left her face as she listened to SungMi telling her about how proud SungMi was of her brother and how both her brothers were proud of her too.

None of them touched the issue about what happened a couple of days ago, when SungMi arrived at DanBi’s house while crying and was soaking wet with rai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter