Chapter 28

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DaeHyun was rushing towards the hospital, with Kim Ahjussi right beside him. After SungMi fainted at the school, DaeHyun called the ambulance and they took her to the hospital. He followed them at first, but once her family showed up, he decided to leave for a while. Something told him that it would be best if he let them be though there were so many questions he wanted to ask regarding SungMi, who was also JiHyun.

DaeHyun ran into Kim Ahjussi in the hospital, as the older man was doing his regular checkup. Kim Ahjussi was indeed curious to see DaeHyun there and asked why he was at the hospital. After a few moments of hesitation, DaeHyun decided to tell Kim Ahjussi the truth.

He still wasn’t comfortable being around the old man but since their last meeting, Kim Ahjussi had always kept in touch with him. He often asked how DaeHyun was and tried his best to be the father that he never was. He was trying hard, and DaeHyun could see that. And since he was once a part of his and JiHyun’s life, DaeHyun felt that he deserved to know the truth, since Kim Ahjussi had regretted what he did and tried to be a part of their lives again.

So, back to the current situation, DaeHyun and Kim Ahjussi were walking towards JiHyun’s room. DaeHyun tried to reach Mr. Lee, but the man didn’t pick up his cellphone. He was reluctant at first whether he should be there or not, but he decided that the time had come for the truth. One of SungMi’s brothers informed him that his sister had now remembered everything.

Upon reaching JiHyun’s room, DaeHyun immediately knew that there was no way Kim Ahjussi and him can enter and see her. There were three men, dressed in black with tough figures, standing guard at the door.

Trying to keep it cool, DaeHyun still approached them and said, “We’re here to see Ji-, I mean SungMi. I’m her … her brother.”

One of the guards stepped forward and said firmly, “No. You’re not allowed to enter. Leave now.”

DaeHyun frowned and exchanged looks with Kim Ahjussi. “Why? It’s my sister in there. I have the right to enter.”

And suddenly, the door opened, and Mrs. Lee came out, closing the door behind her. Looking straight at DaeHyun’s face while ignoring Kim Ahjussi’s presence, she said with a mocking smile, “Hello, DaeHyun. It’s been a while.”

DaeHyun nodded uncomfortably, “Yes, it’s been a while. I need to go in and see JiHyun.”

“She’s not JiHyun. She is SungMi, my daughter.” Mrs. Lee cut in, shooting DaeHyun a dirty look.

DaeHyun frowned and scoffed lightly, “True, but she is also my sister in there. Jung JiHyun. I know that she remembers now. I have to go in and see her.” He said, feeling ludicrous about this woman not allowing him to go inside. 

Mrs. Lee scoffed at his sentence, “For what? To plant more lies inside her head? So that you can take her away? I’ve been watching you all this time, and don’t you ever think that I do not know you’re planning to take her away.”

A deep frown was formed on DaeHyun's head, as he looked at the woman as if she had just popped out another head. “What on earth are you talking about? I just want to see how she’s doing, and whether she can recognize me. There’s no way for me to take her away. She’s not even in the right position to leave the hospital yet.” DaeHyun replied, getting confused with this woman in front of her.

Mrs. Lee gave him a look and said, “Oh, really? I’m not that stupid, boy. I know why you’re here. Now that your sister remembers, you want to take her away from me.  And let me remind you, it will never happen. You can never take her away. I will not allow you to say anything to her. I know very well that you want your sister back and that you will try anything to get her back. I won’t let that happen. She’s my daughter and no longer your sister. And I also know that you’re holding a grudge against me for not adopting you as well that time. This is a payback time, isn’t that right?”

DaeHyun frowned deeper in confusion and laughed humorlessly, “I clearly don’t understand what you’re talking about or why are you having such thoughts. I told you that I am here to see my sister and that is all I want to do. I’ve never mentioned or even plan to take her away. You are just thinking way too much. And besides, why would I ever hold a grudge on someone like you? True that I was a bit disappointed that you refused to adopt me too but hey, it’s okay, as long as JiHyun can be saved. I don’t know what your problem was or what you had against me but let me make this clear, I don’t mind at all until now. Though I can’t stop wondering why.”

Mrs. Lee’s face was contorted with fury. She felt that this teenage boy in front of her was mocking her. “I don’t want to listen to you anymore. Leave now and don’t come back!”

Kim Ahjussi, who had been keeping quiet, now stepped forward beside DaeHyun protectively and exclaimed, “Just who do you think you are?! This is her brother, for heaven’s sake! And you’re just his sister’s adopted mother! All he wants to do is to check on his sister, like any worried brother would! I think you have some major problems with your hearing, lady as the boy said that he only wants to see his sister, and not taking her away like what you assume!”

Mrs. Lee was taken aback by Kim Ahjussi’s sudden statements. She looked at the older man up and down and asked with arms akimbo, “And just who are you, to suddenly barge into the conversation?”

“That is none of your business. Let me see JiHyun now!” DaeHyun growled, and Mrs. Lee flinched at his sudden raise of voice.

“NEVER! AND SHE DOESN’T WANT TO SEE YOU EITHER! SHE DOESN’T WANT TO SEE YOU, WHO GAVE UP ON HER!” Mrs. Lee shouted back, and with that, she ordered the three guards to get rid of DaeHyun and the man who came with him. Since DaeHyun and Kim Ahjussi were smaller and weaker than the three guards were, they were absolutely no match for them. The three strong men dragged them further away from JiHyun’s room and almost threw them off the floor at the hospital entrance.

DaeHyun was about to go back inside the hospital, but Kim Ahjussi held him back. After few minutes of persuasion, Kim Ahjussi finally managed to convince DaeHyun that they will come back some other time. DaeHyun was very reluctant to leave the hospital. He knew that JiHyun now remembered, and he so much wanted to see her. He knew that JiHyun must’ve wanted to see him too. But he couldn’t fathom why Mrs. Lee was having such assumptions in her head. He couldn’t get it. He couldn’t understand why she kept saying that DaeHyun was going to take her daughter away.

All he wanted to do was to see her, and that was all! Mrs. Lee was being scared for no reason and even hired three guards to prevent DaeHyun from entering. Was it so wrong to see how his sister was doing? Not only had he spent ten years aching for JiHyun, now he was not allowed to see his own sister when he finally found her.

However, with a heavy heart, DaeHyun and Kim Ahjussi walked away from the premises. Kim Ahjussi said that maybe Mrs. Lee was terrified of losing JiHyun, now that she remembered who she was. Most probably, Mrs. Lee thought that once JiHyun had gained her memories back, it meant she will be leaving her and went back to her old family again. Especially if DaeHyun showed up, JiHyun must’ve wanted to live together with her brother again, and that DaeHyun will influence her to leave.

DaeHyun shook his head, saying that it was nothing like that at all. The only thing that he wanted to do was to see JiHyun, and he couldn’t do so just because Mrs. Lee was being terrified for no reason. Even if JiHyun wanted to live with him again, they could’ve figured something out. There was no way he would let JiHyun leave her current family.

DaeHyun returned home after separating ways with Kim Ahjussi, who promised to keep in touch like he often did. DaeHyun stepped into the living room and saw his mother sitting on the couch with his friends at DanBi.

At first, DaeHyun wondered why they were all there, but soon he remembered that he had told his mother and DanBi about JiHyun when she fainted earlier, so the news must’ve spread to the other boys. He was glad that they didn’t go straight to the hospital though, and decided to wait for him at his house instead.

All pairs of eyes were staring at DaeHyun in concern, but none dared to ask anything. The look on DaeHyun’s face was hard to read and they weren’t sure if everything went well.

“DaeHyun ah.” His mother called, standing up from the couch. “How is SungMi?” Though they all knew now that SungMi was JiHyun, they were still not used to calling SungMi by her real name. They had always known SungMi as SungMi so it might take a little getting used to.

With a small nod, DaeHyun said while falling into the chair next to YoungJae, “She’s … she’s fine. And … she’s remembered everything. One of her brothers told me. But I didn’t get the chance to meet her in person. Her mother didn’t let me enter the room. And … according to her, JiHyun doesn’t want to see me too. She said JiHyun doesn’t want to see the person who gave up on her.” Then, DaeHyun began telling them everything that Mrs. Lee said, regarding DaeHyun who wanted to take JiHyun away.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter