Chapter 26

Passage Of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeah! Of course, I know her! We ran into each other few weeks ago.” SungMi exclaimed with a huge grin on her face. Her left hand was hugging Mrs. Jeon’s right arm and her head rested on Mrs. Jeon’s shoulder. The older lady only smiled and patted her head lovingly. The smile on her face was sincere and her eyes were looking at the younger girl lovingly.

DaeHyun was still confused and looked at Mrs. Jeon as if asking her to embellish. Mrs. Jeon got his message and added, “Yeah, she helped me carry my groceries to the orphanage. A group of cyclists knocked me over and I fell to the ground, as my groceries were strewn about on the street. She helped me collected them and even carried them all the way to the orphanage. It was very nice of her, as the cyclists didn't even stop to help me, let alone apologize.”

SungMi nodded her head eagerly, meaning to say that everything Mrs. Jeon said was accurate. DaeHyun nodded his head in understanding and simply amused of how small the world was. "They were bad people, really. I can't believe they just left Jeon Omma all by herself. If only I could get my hands on them...."

Then, SungMi let go of Mrs. Jeon’s arm and said, “Well, I’m going to go help DanBi now. I left her all of a sudden just now. She might be looking for me or need my help. See ya later! Jeon Omma, come to our booth after this okay?” After waving to DaeHyun and Mrs. Jeon, SungMi sprinted away to the direction of DanBi’s booth, with both of their eyes were following her. Without DaeHyun realizing, he was actually smiling at the girl's free attitude.

Once SungMi was out of sight, Mrs. Jeon turned to DaeHyun and said with a warm smile, “Thank you for the fundraising, DaeHyun. It means a lot to the children. It is so kind of you to help us out. We really can’t thank you enough.”

DaeHyun returned Mrs. Jeon’s smile and said, “It’s our pleasure, Mrs. Jeon. We’re glad that we’re able to help out the kids. After the visit that we had that day, I have to say that my friends have gotten attached to the children, too. Like other orphanages we helped, we are hoping to give them a better life and help out what we can.”

Mrs. Jeon nodded and felt extremely proud of this young man in front of her. Who would’ve thought that the kid who appeared at her doorstep ten years ago, the kid who had nothing except his sister, the kid who had no other family members left to rely on, the kid who was willing to let his sister go if that would save her life, the kid who missed his parents and sister dearly, was now living a happy life, and even took part in activities to help the kids whose shoes he was in once.

DaeHyun then showed Mrs. Jeon around, while YoungJae and JongUp got the children from Mrs. Jeon’s orphanage sorted. They came along to the fundraising together with Mrs. Jeon. Well, not all of them. Only the older children came with her as they said that they wanted to give a hand if needed. The younger ones stayed back at the orphanage with their teachers who took care of them.

DaeHyun introduced Mrs. Jeon to B.A.P’s mothers, the people who organized the fundraising and also the organizers of the team who had been doing this activity for years. After exchanging a few words of gratitude, DaeHyun led Mrs. Jeon to the stalls or booths around the field. They met HimChan, YongGuk, and Zelo as well as the rest throughout the short tour and Mrs. Jeon kept thanking them for their hard work.

They came to a stop once they reached DanBi’s stall, her cakes were selling very well and were almost finished. DaeHyun introduced the both of them to each other and DanBi quickly acknowledged that DaeHyun had been staying at this lady’s orphanage when he was a little boy, before DaeHyun’s mother took him in. DanBi offered one to Mrs. Jeon and still gave one to DaeHyun, despite the boy being the first one to eat them. They chatted for a while before DaeHyun noticed that something was missing. Or more like someone. He looked around and noticed that SungMi wasn’t there. Again.

“DanBi ah, where is SungMi? Has she gone MIA again?” DaeHyun asked, his eyes wandering around for the sight of that hyper-active girl, but didn’t find her in his vicinity. “Aigoo. It looks like she left you all alone again. She said that she was going to help you just now and now she’s gone.” DaeHyun added, hands on his hips as he shook his head.

DanBi laughed and simply said, “Just let her be. She did come back after greeting her Jeon Omma. But then she seemed to get hyper again once she saw the kids that YoungJae and JongUp are playing with. I knew that she wanted to play with them too so I told her that I’m fine on my own. Well, I guess that is where she is now, maybe.”

Mrs. Jeon chuckled as it turned out that what DanBi said was right. Not far from where they were, they saw SungMi, along with YoungJae and JongUp who were chasing the kids around. YoungJae was the one who chased the other kids, with JongUp and SungMi included. A lot of noise was made, but no one on the field seemed to mind. In fact, each of them was happy to see the children laughing and smiling brightly.

Mrs. Jeon laughed at the beautiful sight and said, “Aigoo, just look at how exuberant she is. She doesn’t look like she’s any older than the children she’s playing with.” DaeHyun and DanBi nodded their heads in agreement, as now they watched JongUp chasing after all of them.

Then, all of a sudden, a question popped into DaeHyun’s mind. Looking back at Mrs. Jeon who was giving DanBi a hand at her stall, he asked, “I was meaning to ask you this, but I got side-tracked with showing you around. Why does SungMi call you ‘Jeon Omma’ ? Well, I don’t mean anything by it but I’m simply curious. You don’t get to call anyone ‘Omma’ as you wish. And SungMi, she doesn't simply call any strangers things like that. Especially us, who have known her for quite some time, don't even get to be called 'oppa' by her."

Mrs. Jeon smiled warmly said, “Well, to be honest I don’t know why myself. As she said, we met few weeks ago and this is just the second time we see each other again. She said she just wanted to call me that. I asked her why; too, that time and she said she’ll let me know once she figures it out. According to her, she just feels like calling me that. I don’t’ see the reason why she can’t call me that so I just agreed to her anyway. She looks like a good kid from the first I saw her.”

After hearing Mrs. Jeon’s answer, DaeHyun simply nodded and DanBi gave him an assuring smile, to which DaeHyun returned as the both of them had their minds in sync. DanBi knew what was going on in DaeHyun’s head, even without having him to tell her.

For the next few minutes, things were going perfectly well around the open field. A lot of food was sold and the games were played by the people who stopped by. DaeHyun and the rest felt so relieved that the fundraising went as according to plan. This was their biggest fundraising activity they had ever done, and despite having few minor problems here and there, they managed to pull it off, especially when a lot of people volunteered to take part in the fundraising.

Thankfully, there was nothing major going on and they hoped it would stay so for the rest of the day. DaeHyun left Mrs. Jeon at DanBi’s stall, as the elder insisted on helping DanBi and even said that she had so much fun talking to DanBi. Pretending to be wounded, to which both Mrs. Jeon and DanBi knew was a pretense, DaeHyun made his way to YongGuk’s place, as the elder was handling the games section for the visitors.

Upon seeing DaeHyun ambling towards him, YongGuk who just got ‘rejected’ by both ladies, and that he found refuge there at his place instead.  DaeHyun rolled his eyes and quickly said that he wasn’t really got rejected, but he actually wanted to spend time with his ‘beloved’ hyung, and he claimed that they hadn’t been spending much quality time together.

YongGuk scoffed and knew that it was an excuse, and he said so, but still enjoyed DaeHyun’s company nonetheless. They were not very close to start with, from the first day they met, and they were rarely left with only each other, so maybe DaeHyun was right. This could be the perfect time to spend time with one another.

It was awkward at first between the two of them, and they both agreed. DaeHyun only stood beside YongGuk and they could hardly say a word or two to each other. But as time passed, they managed to create conversations and talked more freely with one another. They succeded to break the ice and were just like when they were with the other boys.

In the meantime, a plot was set up on the other side of the field. A group of children was sitting in a circle, with two teenagers included, and they were all listening to another teenager talking and explaining the strategy of their plan.

They looked like armies ready to fight in a battle, and were taking in the instructions of their general. Their general, in fact, was doing a great job at explaining their tactics and how to make sure their plan went well.

“So, the plan is basically very easy. All you kids need to do is to go to him, act as naturally as ever and don’t give anything away on your expressions. Try not to make him suspicious that something is going on and be as natural as ever. Fool him with your cuteness whatsoever and make him follow you to the table we’ve set. Once he’s seated, we’ll start the ‘game’.” The general explained and all heads nodded in sync, understanding what was to be done.

Looking at each face again, the general asked, “Okay, any questions before we start?”

All heads shook as a no, and the general smiled in satisfaction. “Okay kids, best of luck. SungMi and JongUp will be hiding with our camera readily for the shot.” The general, who turned out to be YoungJae, gave the children thumbs up and quickly went to their designated hiding place, where they can still see everything that was going on well without being spotted.

Behind the bushes, JongUp asked, “Do you think he’ll get mad?”

SungMi gave JongUp a look and said, “Don’t be silly. He won’t get mad.” She paused for a while before she smirked,

“He’ll get super mad.”

“Hyung! Hyung ! Can you come with us, please?” A little boy asked DaeHyun. DaeHyun was busy looking out for the visitors playing the games, then looked down at the little boy and tipped his head to the side. “Uh, sure. Hang on a second.” He said before turning to Yong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter