Ch. 20

Just Keep Swimming

   "So tell me a story about your family. We haven't spoken much about them. I curious about them." Donghae said as he looked at Nicole. They had spent around 30 minutes just walking around after they ate their frozen yogurt.

   "Everyone in my family is very sarcastic. One time, we tried to have a competition to see who could make the best comeback. It ended in all of us just crying from laughing so hard." Nicole got a large smile on her face as she remembered the event.

   "What were some of the things that were said?"

   "I can't remember. It was just really funny retorts to what someone said." He got a smile on his face from watching her smile so much. He only wishes he could have been a part of that.

   "Hey, is that Lay and Chanyeol-ah?" Donghae tugs on Nicole's hand and nods forward.

   "Oh yeah, I wonder what they're doing out. They seem to be really into whatever it is they're talking about." Nicole nodded in agreement and they didn't talk until the reached Lay and Chanyeol.

   "Hey guys! What are you guys doing out?" Nicole greeted them.

   "Hey. We just got done with schedules and eating. I'm sure Chanyeol would have told you when you got home, but because of everything with Kris, Soo Man-ssi thought that us not leaving was a good judgement, so he's giving us all a short vacation. He even said you were allowed to tag along with Chanyeol. We were just talking about where we wanted to go." Both Nicole and Donghae were stunned.

   "Wow! That's crazy! I'm happy you guys get a vacation but it's sad that it's under such circumstances. Do you have any idea where you want to go?" Nicole asked.

   "I was just going to go home. I miss my family." Lay said.

   "I was going to wait and see where you wanted to go or surprise you with a trip but I guess hyung already spoiled it." Chanyeol elbowed Lay as he looked at Donghae and Nicole, still hand in hand.

   "Well then we can plan when I get home. I hope you two have a good rest of the night!" Nicole and Donghae waved to Chanyeol and Lay as they walked away. Lay made sure not to say anything until they were out of earshot.

   "You know, this vacation is the perfect opportunity to tell her. I think if you wait any longer, she'll be someone else's." Lay walked on, leaving Chanyeol to trail behind him.

_____

   "So tell me again, why haven't you and Chanyeol ever dated?" Donghae asked after he and Nicole had gotten to a small noodle shop.

   "I don't know why. We just haven't. I've never thought of him in the boyfriend way. I guess I just refrained from doing that in case I started developing feelings for him and he didn't reciprocate them, making things awkward between us."

   "Do you think you could develop feelings for him if you let yourself?"

   "I honestly don't know. But why are you asking me this?"

   "I just need to know if he's competition. I don't know if I've managed to steal your heart yet so I need to know I'm the only one going after it." He gave her a cheeky smile as he stuffed his mouth with more of the soup the noodles were in.

   "I'll tell you this much: you've already 'stolen my heart' as a fan, so it may be a while before you 'steal my heart' as man. That's a tough transition."

   "Right, as a fan, how are you feeling going out with me?"

   "I'm trying my hardest to not cry and jump out of my seat."

   "Well you're doing a pretty good job at being 'normal'." They smiled at each other. The rest of the night went on quietly. They spoke about random things until Nicole wanted to get home.

   "I think the vacation is going to be the next couple of days, so I'll text or call you when I get back, okay?" She told him. He nodded. She was about to open the door when he caught her hand.

   "Can I kiss you one more time since I won't see you for a while?" He put on his best puppy face, knowing she couldn't resist. She screamed in her mind as she nodded. He cupped her face and felt her hands on his back. He gave her a light, but passionate kiss, taking both of their breaths away.

   He pulled away and walked away without saying anything. She fanned herself a bit before opening her door seeing Chanyeol laughing at a show.

   "No more being happy! Let's talk about where to go!" She jokingly said as she approached him. He looked at her, stood up, and quickly pushed her onto the couch.

   "After this bit. This is hilarious!" He sat down next to her and put his head on her lap, preventing her from moving. They both sat there and watched a comedy bit about idols. They even impersonated Chanyeol. He almost died laughing when that part came on. Nicole couldn't help but think back to what Donghae said about how she would feel if she let herself like him. She gave herself a small triumphant nod when deciding what she would do.

   'In order to know how I feel about Donghae, I will see if I like Chanyeol. If I don't like him, then Donghae it is! If I do, then I will go from there!'