Ch. 15

Just Keep Swimming

   "...I honestly don't even know how he's still alive!" Nicole managed to say through her laughter. Donghae wiped his eyes from crying while laughing so hard. They had spent almost the entire time they were there telling funny stories.

   "Okay, I need to take a break from laughing. My stomach is hurting." He said, trying to regain his breath. He had managed to after a few seconds.

   "So, do you want to go anywhere else? It isn't too late. The night is still young and I don't want to end it here yet." She had just managed to get her breath.

   "I'm okay with going anywhere. Chanyeol knows I won't be home until later, so we can go anywhere." He thinks for a second and then knows exactly where to go. He grabs her hand and pulls her out of their room. He pays at the counter for their food and then leads her to the car.

   "Where are we going?"

   "You'll see." He smiles at her as he pulls out of the parking lot. He looks back on the road and drives through the most populated areas around where they were. She hadn't been down here a lot, so she was taking in all of the sights. He looked over at her, noticing she wasn't looking at him. He took this opportunity to hold her hand while he continued driving. They drove for another 10 minutes until they arrived at Namsan Tower.

   "Have you been here before?" He asked her as they got out of the car.

   "Only once. It was when Chanyeol and I first moved in together. We got a lock to symbolize us always being roommates and friends. Then we got another lock for our own personal wish. I don't know what his was for but mine is too embarrassing to share." They walked to the cable car that would take them up to the top. It was later at night, so it wasn't crowded. They were the only ones on the cable car. 

   "Have you been here? I mean, I'm sure you have. You live here." She looked down realizing how silly her question was.

   "Yeah. I've been here three times." He chuckled at her expression.

   "Did you get a lock each time?"

   "Mhm. I got one when Super Junior first was formed so we would always be together. The second time was with a girl who I thought I would be with forever because I was still really young and didn't know what true love was. But the first time was when I first moved here. It was to promise my dad that I would be strong and never fall  away from my dreams." He got a bittersweet smile on his face. She looked at him, touched that he would tell her this.

   "I wouldn't feel right asking you about your dad on our first date, so I'll ask about the girl. Who was it and when were you guys together?"

   "Well, about my father, you being a fan might have already allowed you to find some things about him. But I don't know how deeply you went into it. But I understand. Thank you for understanding as well. And, this girl....right. It's a long story." He rubbed the back of his neck.

   "I'm all ears." She looked at him. He got a puzzled look on his face.

   "All ears? What does that mean?" She had forgotten that it might not be a phrase everyone uses.

   "Oops. It means I'm here to listen. Plus, I told you all about my ex. I figured a sob story for a sob story so that way I don't feel nearly as embarrassed about the fact that I almost cried in front of you." He laughed at her logic.

   "Ahhh, got it. I was only 18 at the time. I don't want to say her name because she's famous now, but I guess I will. It was Sunny from SNSD." dropped open.

   "I know. Shocking. Anyway, we had been dating for about 4 months when we got the lock. We both thought we would be together for a long time. However, I started getting ready to debut and so we didn't see each other as often. Then she accused me of cheating on her. We had such a big fight that we broke up immediately. After we broke up, I realized I didn't cry even once. It made me question how much I actually liked her or if my gut just told me we wouldn't last." He finishedas she looked at him intently.

   "Now. You're turn again." Her eyes widened as she remembered what he was talking about. The cable car came to a stop at the top. They walked out and headed to the shop to select a lock. They decided on a blue one that was close to the ELF color. They paid for it and got their markers to write on it.

   "Before you tell the embarrassing story, what should we write?" He looked at her with a crooked grin.

   "How about: 'Whether it be a relationship or friendship, we will always be together.'"

   "That's perfect." Donghae wrote it in Korean on one side, and then handed it Nicole who wrote it in English on the other. They both signed the bottom. They spent a few minutes looking for the perfect place to hang it. Once they did, Donghae kissed it and gave it to Nicole to kiss. She was about to kiss the opposite side he kissed when he stopped her.

   "Let's kiss the same side." For the nth time that night, her face turned red as she lightly kissed where he kissed. Then he crouched down and locked it up.  He gave it a good tug to make sure it wouldn't fall off, and then discarded the key. 

   They both leaned against the fence, mesmerized by the view.

   "Now, story time." He looked at her, putting his hands under his chin as if waiting for her to tell an amazing story.

   "Come on, can't we just enjoy this view?"

   "Nope. I want to know all the details of your life, including the embarrassing ones." She sighed heavily before speaking.

   "Fine. I got my own small lock that was sapphire blue like the one we just got and wrote 'Nicole + Donghae Forever'. Keep in mind, at that time, I didn't think we would ever actually meet because of how strongly Chanyeol opposed me meeting you. So yeah. That's it." She hid her face again as Donghae laughed slightly.

   "That is adorable. It's almost like fate is telling us we should be together." She put on a frown, but inside, she was screaming. She could not have asked for a more wonderful date, or even any date with Donghae.

   They stood at the fence for a few more minutes, only saying small things like how beautiful the view is. Eventually, Donghae turned to face Nicole. He gently cupped her cheeks and looked her in the eyes.

   "I had an amazing time tonight. I don't think I've had this much fun in a really long time. And, I know that sounds ridiculously greasy and cliche. I just want you to know that I will cherish the memories of tonight." He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. Her face immediately lit up. He smiled as kissed her hand. He was already falling for her and he wasn't going to hold back his feelings. He went back to cupping her face, asking her approval for what he was about to do. When he saw her lips slightly, he took that as his cue. He slowly moved in, placing a soft kiss on her lips. To both of them, it was the perfect ending to the night.