Ch. 17

Just Keep Swimming

   They both layed in Chanyeol's bed for quite a while before they got up. Nicole walked out so Chanyeol could change out of his clothes into clean ones. After she walked out, she used that time to call Donghae. He picked up almost instantly.

   "Hey oppa, sorry I didn't call or text you earlier." She said monotonously.

   "It's okay! I guess I was a bit too eager. Do you want to hang out some time today? I'm free after around 5. I would love if I could see you."

   "I'm sorry, I can't. Some stuff came up and Chanyeol's not feeling the best, so I want to be here to make sure he's okay. I hope you understand." She heard him sigh through the line.

   "I understand. I'm glad Chanyeol has someone like you to help take care of him! If you ever need anything, I'm sure Chanyeol is there for you too, but know I'm always here too! I don't want you to be sad!"

   "Thanks oppa. I'll call or text you later." She hung up, and Chanyeol walked out not much later.

   "You know you can go out with him if you want to. I don't want to make you feel worse." She shook her head and pulled him into a slight hug.

   "It's okay. I know you need me and I need you right now because Kris was a big part of our lives. I've known you guys longer, so Donghae can wait." As of now, she didn't feel anything weird in saying that Donghae, her favorite celebrity, could wait. She didn't want to leave Chanyeol when he was feeling lonliest.

   "You're too good to me. You know that, right?" Chanyeol said, trying to hold back tears. She didn't say anything and just tightened her grip.

   They eventually broke apart and sat on the couch.

   "Do you want to watch anything? Maybe something will cheer you up." Nicole looked at Chanyeol who shook his head as he sat up.

   "Actually, I forgot to ask earlier. Tell me about your date with hyung last night. Did you two have fun?" Her eyes widened as she remembered everything.

   "We had a lot of fun. For the first while we were just telling funny stories. I told him about the time you ate the expired pie and then drank beer. That was hilarious." His face turned red in embarrassment.

   "Oh come on, that story? That's so...not a story you tell people!" She giggled slightly as she continued.

   "Then we went to Namsan Tower and told stories of what we did when we went there before. Then we got a lock for both of us. Then....." She trailed off.

   "Then? What happened?" His heart started pounding in anticipation.

   "We...kissed." She whispered. His heart dropped, but he tried his best to remain calm.

   "Wow. That's...surprising. I hate to be invasive, but did you enjoy the kiss?" He was losing it. He was hoping he would be able to kiss her first. But he couldn't blame anyone but himself.

   "I don't know what I felt. I don't know if I was happy because I like him as a man or if I was happy because because I kissed my favorite idol. I still don't know." Chanyeol kept wiggling in his seat trying to get comfortable. He quickly changed the topic.

   "So did you tell him about the time we went to Namsan?" She got out of her daydream bubble and looked at him.

   "Oh, uhh, yeah. I told him I didn't know what you put on your personal lock and then what we put on the joint lock we got. I also, unfortunately, told him what I put on my personal lock." Chanyeol got a smile on his face.

   "Oh gosh, how did he react?"

   "He laughed a bit and then told me it was like fate was telling us to be together. Very cheesy." His heart dropped again. He was cursing his hyung for being so romantic.

   "Are you ever going to tell me what you put on your lock?" Nicole asked Chanyeol, hoping that he would tell her.

   "Not yet. I'm waiting for just the right moment."

   "Come on! Did you murder someone and use a lock to symbolize your secrecy?" She joked, hoping to liven the mood more.

   "You caught me. I'm a murderer. I killed your logic." She pouted as he poked her cheek.

   "I'll tell you eventually, I just don't know when." She just nodded unwillingly, knowing he wouldn't tell her any time soon.

   "But umm...if you and hyung kissed, why did you reject him? Don't you want to go out with him to find out how you truly feel?" She shook her head.

   "If I go out with him, that would leave you alone and also might confuse me more. I really don't want to do either. So, until further notice, I'm sticking by your side." She grabbed his hand and lightly squeezed it. They gave each other small smiles. Inside, Chanyeol was ecstatic. He was surprised he was feeling this good given the circumstances. Yet he knew that with her by his side, he could overcome Kris' absence.

_____

   "Chanyeol, I really hope you do well without my advice. I know you can do it." Kris muttered to himself as he exited his plane in Canada. He was greeted by his family. Tears formed in his eyes as he saw his mom smiling widely.

   "Mama, I'm so happy to see you." He gave her an encompasing hug, letting go of his tears. He knew this was the right choice, no matter how hard it was to leave Exo and all of the unfinished business with Nicole up in the air.