KAI'S EXPLANATION

Four People, One Big City

The four parted ways after their exhausting day at the zoo, chasing Chen, who wasn’t even there, had been tiring. On the way home, Baekhyun’s mind kept drifting back to what he heard Kai blurt out back at the zoo.

 

“FINE! I HAVE FEELINGS FOR KYUNGSOO!”

 

Kyungsoo, of course hadn’t heard, so Baekhyun decided to take care of everything.

 

After arriving at their apartment, he tucked a weary Kyungsoo in bed, like a mother to a little boy. Although, Baekhyun wasn’t always the best example of a parent. He couldn’t cook, refused to clean and- whatever, he still cared about Kyungsoo.

 

“Now I have to go talk to Kai about the whole ordeal concerning you. Sweet dreams Kyungsoo.”

 

Baekhyun sneaked out into the still, dark night. The gray clouds loomed ominously over his head. It was probably going to rain soon. Right now it was just the calm before the storm. The brunette went to the payphone on the corner of the street and swiftly punched Kai’s number in (He got it from Chanyeol).

 

“Hey, Kai. Can I talk to you about something?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Um. Sure…….who is this?” Kai was wary. Who knew who it was?

 

“It’s Baekhyun.” Baekhyun scoffed, clearly offended.

 

“Oh! Sorry, haha, didn’t realize.”

 

“Anyways, meet me at the bar?”

 

“Yeah, sure.”

 

-click-

 

Baekhyun rushed to the bar after their short conversation. It was a dark, musty place with neon lights scattered about.

 

The bartender gave him a flirty wink. Baekhyun returned it with a disgusted look, although he wasn’t a bad looker.

 

The petite boy took a seat at one of the better looking booths and waited. Not a minute later, Kai arrived. He had his sleek leather coat on paired fashionably with ripped jeans.

 

“You look dressed up. Hoping Kyungsoo was here?” Baekhyun looked him up and down with a smirk.

“No……..is he?” Kai knew that Baekhyun had heard him at the zoo as soon as the brunette opened his mouth.

 

“Nope, sorry, just me.”

 

“Well since you know my little secret, I’ll just express how I feel,” Kai sagged down in the seat, disappointed.

 

“So you like Kyungsoo? Tell me everything,” Baekhyun leaned forward, anticipating the juicy story.

 

“Okay, I fell for Kyungsoo,” Kai put laconically.

 

“Ah, ah, ah." Baekhyun put up his forefinger. "Everything. From the very beginning.”

 

“Fine.” And with that Kai began his life story starting from the very beginning when he was born on that fateful day in January to present day, where he was in a run down bar with Baekhyun. At the end, Baekhyun had fell asleep, drowning in a pool of cheap beer.

 

“Yah! Are you still awake?” Kai prodded the male’s shoulder. Baekhyun sprung up, flinging the cup of beer in his hand onto Kai’s precious jacket.

 

“Oh yeah! I’m totally awake, but just to make sure I got everything straight, could you start over like after the part where you went to the movies with Chanyeol?” the boy rubbed his eyes, while the other was completely furious.

 

“I’ll just give you the summary. I fell in love with Chanyeol ‘cause he was the first friend I’ve ever actually made and I guess my friendship with him and feelings for him overlapped.  Anyways then you showed up and Chanye-” Kai stopped in the middle of his sentence.

 

He couldn’t leak his best friend’s secret out to the crush. So he tweaked the story a bit, ”When you brought Kyungsoo to the cafe, I guess I thought he was pretty hot and my feelings for Chanyeol just flew out of the window.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t catch Kai’s slip up due to his three cups of beer. He was a little tipsy (lightweight) to say the least, but sober enough to comprehend Kai’s short, modified summary.

 

“Well, it’s getting late, we should probably get home. Oh, and don't you dare tell Kyungsoo about this,” Kai helped Baekhyun up and sighed at the thought of having to heave the heavy boy back. Especially now since it was raining.

 

 


At the apartment, Kyungsoo snuggled into his blankets, welcoming the warmth. He had just about drifted to dreamland when he heard some odd words floating out of Baekhyun’s mouth as the brunette left the room.

 

“Now I have to go talk to Kai about the whole ordeal concerning you. Sweet dreams Kyungsoo.”

 

What did he mean “about Kai and the whole Kyungsoo ordeal”? Did something happen between Kyungsoo and Kai? Looking back at their day, he did hear a voice shout out his name that vaguely sounded like Kai. The sleepy boy was too dizzy from overexertion to make out exactly what the words were.

 

Did the tanned boy possibly…...like him? Nah, that wasn’t possible, although that would explain Baekhyun’s words. But could Kai like him though? More importantly, did Kyungsoo return those feelings? No, he couldn’t possibly. But then what were these weird emotions that stirred up in his chest? The racing heart and the constant thoughts about him.

 

Wait, no, no, no.

 

This was like every single cliche chick flick that Baekhyun watched every time he invited Tao over. However, Kyungsoo couldn't deny his feelings. NO!!! He was going to deny them. He couldn't fall in love with Kai.

 

A distraction! Kyungsoo needed a distraction from whatever Baekhyun heard from Kai’s conversation with Chanyeol.


 

Chanyeol. Hmmmmm.

 

That’s it! Chanyeol! He was perfectly handsome and nice. Kyungsoo liked him, not Kai. Chanyeol had perfect hair, nice facial features and a good sense of humor. Chanyeol was definitely Kyungsoo's distracti- er, ideal type.

 

Just think about Chanyeol. Chanyeol. Chanyeol. Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol.

 

And that’s how the owl eyed boy with now closed eyes, fell asleep. Thinking about one name that buried another’s, and listening to the soft droplets of rain that hit the pavement. But all buried treasure can be found and brought back to the surface.

 

 

 


The door creaked open and a shadowed figure entered, his hair drenched in water from the rain shower outside. The figure laid a boy on the bed opposite the other male in the room.

 

Prior to leaving, the intruder stood over the black haired Kyungsoo and stared at his sleeping face. So peaceful. Very different from the one he had seen in the park.

 

"Chanyeol." A name escaped the sleeping boy's mouth. The shadowed face contorted into something that could only be distinguished as hurt. With that name in mind, the figure fled the bedroom, leaving Baekhyun and Kyungsoo to their serene dreams or possibly frightful nightmares, whatever they might contain.


 
A/N: DunDUnDuN. Who could the mysterious shadowed figure be? We will never know. Jk, you've probably figured it out, but anyways, hurray the beginning of the beginning of the plot has finally just kind of started to begin. Hurray. Please comment. They are the things we look forward to most.
 
CCCCAke