STEP UP YOUR GAME

Four People, One Big City

Three days later, Baekhyun returned from his trip. He was experiencing jet lag, thus, resulting in him lazing around in bed all day. Kyungsoo was left with the arduous task of taking care of the snoring Baekhyun. Suddenly the clonked out boy sprang up, alert and awake. Kyungsoo’s eyes lit up. Something inside of him had been aching to tell his feelings. He was close to bursting open. Finally, he could tell his best friend about his feelings for Chanyeol.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun. Can we talk?” Kyungsoo nudged the brunnette to the side.

 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Save it. Go get me some soup, servant!” The older swayed side to side, still caught up in his naptime dreams.

 

“This is really important though,” Kyungsoo pouted. Baekhyun shook his head,”No! My soup is way more important. Now go, now!”

 

“Bu-”

 

“Fetch me the damn soup Kyungsoo!”

 

“I love Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo blurted out. Baekhyun was on the verge of sleep, but those three words hit him like a punch to the gut.

 

“WAIT, WHAT?!”

 

Baekhyun realized that in the game of love, he was falling behind. Kyungsoo was beating him to home plate. Chanyeol. Now looking back, Baekhyun didn’t interact with the giant as much as he would’ve liked, and he was now regretting that mistake. Now was the time to step up his game. First things first, a phone call to Kai would be sufficient.


 

 

The ringing blared out next to Kai’s ear and he let out a short yawn before snatching up the phone.

 

“Hello…..?”

 

“KAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII! DIRE DIRE DIRE URGENT SITUATION! KYUNGSOO LOVES………” Kai held the receiver far away from his ear, before his mind comprehended the words that were sputtered over the telephone line.

 

“Wait, Baekhyun. Repeat what you just said. Who does Kyungsoo like? Please tell me,” Kai was practically begging. He needed to know now that he had finally admitted that he had fell for the black haired boy.

 

“KYUNGSOO LIKES……”

 

The telephone line went silent.

 

“Baek. Honestly, I don’t have time for your stupid little ga-”

 

“CHAAAAAAANYEOOOOOOLL!” The sobbing could be heard past the muffling of the phone that had toppled to the ground.  Kai followed suit. His phone slipped out of his hand and landed facedown on the floor of his bedroom.

 

“Why Chanyeol?.....” Kai’s mind swirled with memories of earlier times, when it was just the two of them. “Kyungsoo’s supposed to like me! Not my best friend!”

 

Kai paused. Something wasn't right. It made sense that he was sobbing. But why was the boy on the other end of the phone crying as well?

 

“Hey Baekhyun. Is there anything you wanna tell me? Like why you were sobbing?”

 

“Ummm, no.”

 

“So, there isn’t a specific reason why you were bawling your eyes out?”

 

“I’m just worried for Kyungsoo. Because before he had some p-," Baekhyun stopped mid sentence.

 

“He had what?”

 

“Oh . I wasn’t supposed to say that.”

 

“Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Te-"

 

-click-

 

“Baek?”

 

Later that night, at the bar (same bar as last time)....

 

Baekhyun and Kai had become close ever since Kai started liking Kyungsoo. They met every once in awhile at their little hangout. The two settled into their usual booth and ordered two glasses of beer.

 

“So care to explain why you were all upset at Kyungsoo’s confession?” Kai said smoothly. He was taking things better than Baekhyun had expected, considering it was sort of like an indirect rejection.

 

“Well….ImayormaynotreallyreallyreallyloveChanyeollikealotbutwhenKyungsoosaidhelovedhimIsortaspazzedoutandrealizedthatIhadn’treallybeenspendingthatmuchtimewiththegiantoafandhemightlikeKyungsoomorethanme…” Baekhyun wheezed out and he took a giant gulp from his cup.

 

“.....Come again?” Kai blinked. He only caught a few words from Baekhyun’s little speech- er confession, or whatever it was.

 

“I like Chanyeol, okay? That’s all,” Baekhyun didn’t want Kai to remember his slip up over the phone.

 

“So you like Chanyeol, eh? Hehehe. You know a while back, I also sort of liked Chanyeol…..a lot, and you were the in my way….so for a time, I despised you for a few days,” Kai said, repeating his past feelings.

 

“Yeah…you told me already..............” Baekhyun trailed off into silence.

 

“Oh.....Well, so what should we do?” Kai desperately wanted to change the subject, this was getting pretty awkward. It was almost as if he was trying to make Baekhyun feel bad.

 

“We need to step up our game.”

 

 

 


The next day, everybody, including Chen (He kind of unofficially became part of the group) went to another cafe. They talked, laughed, told stories. Basically did what normal fresh college graduates would do. However, both Kai and Baekhyun were a little out of it. The two knew they had to start reaching out instead of waiting patiently for their “lovers”. Baekhyun didn’t want to wait any longer for the stupid doofus to realize his feelings. And all Kai wanted was for Kyungsoo to not hate him, and possibly like him a teensy, weensy little itty bit. That wasn’t impossible, was it?

 

“Hey Chanyeol. Can you come with me to get our food?” Baekhyun stood up and pulled Chanyeol out of his chair. Kyungsoo was finally left alone with Kai. Not.

 

“Hey guys. Why are Chanyeol and Baekhyun taking so long. I’m hungry~,” Chen let out a loud whine. Kai resisted the urge to bang his head on the table. He quickly brewed up an idea, “There’s a little crepe shop a little ways down. You make a left and then a right.”

 

“Okay.” With that, it left Kai alone with Kyungsoo.

 

“So, anything new lately?” Kai started up awkwardly. . Why did he send Chen away? He would be perfect for situations like these.

 

“No.”

 

“Watch any good books or read any good movies recently?” Kai chuckled nervously.

 

“No.”

 

"Did you hear the new song?"

 

"No."

 

He stretched out on a limb for the next question.

 

“Do you…….think I’m a…….good……...f-friend?”

 

Meanwhile…..

Baekhyun balanced cups and plates in his hands. Chanyeol had his back facing him to pay the cashier the money. When he turned around…you could only imagine what happened. The scones flew into the air, while the coffee splashed onto the tiles. Both mouths dropped down faster than a meteorite coming towards Earth. Their eyes slowly met. Seconds ticked by.

 

Then they burst out into laughter. Baekhyun felt relieved. His bond with Chanyeol was still tight. Nobody was going to get in his way.


 

 

 

The answer was short and simple, but spoke volumes.

 

“No.” Kai’s heart sank down into his stomach. And it wasn’t going to come back up for a very, very long time (a month to be exact, which isn't actually that long).

 
 
A/N: Aw poor Kai. I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. If you did....please leave some comments. Trust me. Whenever there is a new comment. We freak out.
So yeah leave behind some of your thoughts. 
 
Cake~