PLANNING A DATE THAT’S NOT REALLY A DATE

Four People, One Big City

Baekhyun waited in the apartment for his friend. He had known Chen for a long time, not as long as he had known Kyungsoo, but still pretty long. The three of them had become best friends and stuck together.

 

But as Kyungsoo drifted away, Baekhyun got to know Chen better.

 

Chen was an, ummm, interesting person. There was no further need to describe his 4D personality.

 

Baekhyun heard a knock on the door. The said friend was finally here. He marched over and unlocked the latch. The door creaked open, and there stood the creature known as Chen.

 

“Hey! Sorry I got lost, so how’s The Soo doing? I heard that he uh, I don’t know, he almost killed himself, I think…...right?”

 

"How exactly did you get lost? And don’t call Kyungsoo, The Soo. That’s the worst nickname I’ve ever heard.”

 

“Well, there were these twisty staircases and hallways, and I couldn’t figure it out. It was too much for my brain to handle.”

 

"Still as stupid as you were in high school, eh? Makes sense. Not all grown ups can maintain the mentality of a five year old, but somehow you manage. And how did you get lost in our building. You’ve been here countless times before.”

 

“Oh well, uh…...don’t we need to discuss Kyungsoo’s situation?”

 

Baekhyun pinched the bridge of his nose. Oh, right the whole Overdose Issue. Chen sat down next to Baekhyun and rubbed his back gently,”Hey go ahead, I’m listening.”

 

Chen became his other self. The one that would listen to other people's problems and console them. Baekhyun really appreciated this side of him.

 

Wait….this side of Chen rarely popped up. The only time he actually was kind and sweet was when Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were in the the hospital on account of two broken ribs on Baekhyun’s side and a bad head trauma on Kyungsoo’s side.

 

Oh and one other thing. It was all because of Chen and his stupid idea to climb into the rhino exhibit at the zoo.

 

He wanted to pet them, because they were really cute and... gentle. Yeah, you could kind of guess what happened next. Oddly enough, Chen was the only one who didn’t get seriously hurt, yet he was the closest to the rhinos.

 

“Did Kyungsoo relapse?”

 

“Don’t put it like he used to be an alcoholic.”

 

Chen apologized and put on his serious face. Baekhyun told him everything, about the cafe, about Chanyeol, and also about Kai.

 

"Damn, the way you described those boys makes me want to have a ."

 

"You just went from childish to serious to childish. You aren't even considering the situation Kyungsoo is in now."

 

"Okay, okay, I’ll be serious. Like, for real now. Like the time at the hospital where you and Kyungsoo were at due to the whole rhino incident and you slipped and refractured your ri-”

 

“Chen.”

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

The rhino lover paused before he said the much needed advice.

 

“Kyungsoo just needs some time to relax by himself, he’s those independent types. This Kai you describe doesn’t seem like a bad kid. Maybe if Kyungsoo spent some time with Kai and realized that he wasn’t so bad, it would help. You could also accompany him with this Chanyeol dude so Owl Eyes won’t feel too uncomfortable."

 

"Wow, thanks. That was actually some great advice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that, or that it came out of your mouth.” See? Chen could actually give good advice.

 

“Thanks for coming over.” Baekhyun stood up, about to call Chanyeol so they could set up their little outing.

 

No reply.

 

“Chen? Aren’t you going to answer my thank you?”

 

Still not a sound. Rude

 

“Chen?” Baekhyun spun around.

 

GASP!!!!!

 

A gasp left Chen’s mouth.

 

“What? What is it?” Baekhyun frantically whipped his head around, half expecting a drunk murderer..

 

“We should have a sixsome.”

 

Chen paused to think for a second.

 

“Or is is a tsome? You know because t means six, and also it has the word in it. That means that this was meant to be! The gods from ancient time wanted this to happen! Baek, we have to do this! WE NEED TO HAVE A TSOME!!!” Chen violently shook Baekhyun’s shoulders.

 

“Hold on,” Something occurred to the troll.

 

Baekhyun sighed, still a little shaken up by the sudden outburst,” What now?”

 

”There’s me, you, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Kai…” Chen counted on his hand, then raised five digits, ”That’s five people...oh well, I’ll just call up Tao or something. WE WERE STILL MEANT TO HAVE THIS T/SIXSOME!!!”

 

Baekhyun was about to facepalm, when he heard a voice that sounded an awful lot like Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Did I just hear what I thought I heard?”

 

“Hey, The Soo! You’re back!” Chen pounced on Kyungsoo bringing him down.

 

"Seriously Chenchen. What's with the nickname? I thought that died down a long time ago."

 

"Nope little Sooie, it's still fresh in my mind. Now, WHY THE HELL DID YOU TRY AND ING KILL YOURSELF??!?!?????"

 

The grin on Kyungsoo's face disappeared. He had really wanted to avoid this topic of conversation.

 

"I'm sorry. It's just.........ummmmm...I couldn't handle it."

 

It was Baekhyun's turn to talk. He hadn't had a chance to properly talk with Kyungsoo (more like yelling at him for being an idiot), after the boy had stormed out earlier this morning.

 

"Oh, so killing yourself was the only option? Did you ever think about anyone else? How about your friends or your family? Did you ever think about how much we would miss you?"

 

“Guys let’s talk this over peacefully and normally. Like I do!” Chen interfered. Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo raised their eyebrows at Chen.

 

“Okay fine, but let’s not yell over such petty, little things.”

 

"Are you freaking kidding me? Petty little things? What the hell do you think you're saying?!!!?!?!?"

 

Kyungsoo had really freaked out. The first time he had tried to overdose, Baekhyun had scolded him and kept a close watch for weeks after.

 

Baekhyun was yelling at him. Yelling at him.

 

Like Sehun.

 

Kyungsoo felt worthless, like nobody wanted him. He wasn’t needed in the world. These had been his thoughts for months now. What if Baekhyun was just using him as a friend? What if Baekhyun hated him? What if Baekhyun actually despised him? Would Baekhyun hurt him like the others?

 

“Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo started, “I’m really s-sor-ry.”

 

Spitting out those words to his best friend was horrible. Kyungsoo tried to breathe. His heartbeats quickened. It was happening again. He started to feel really dizzy and lightheaded. His hands tingled, as if pins and needles were constantly poking him. He dropped down to his knees and broke down, silently sobbing.

 

“Hey, Soo, it’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it. Do you wanna just go to the park or something?” Chen hugged Kyungsoo comfortingly.

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo hiccuped into Chen’s shoulder. Baekhyun sighed. Chen was always better at calming people down than he was. Even though Kyungsoo was closer to Baekhyun, the latter had taken more than fifteen minutes to soothe Kyungsoo, while Chen had only took one.

 

Chen slowly lifted Kyungsoo off the ground. He glanced over at Baekhyun.

 

"Call Chanyeol" he mouthed.

 

Baekhyun nodded. Kyungsoo needed to get better fast. He already had a panic attack two days in a row. This had never happened before.

 

Baekhyun looked over at his apartment companion.

 

"Have fun at the park, Kyungsoo! I'll see you later."

 

Kyungsoo acknowledged Baekhyun's words with a small nod and left the apartment with Chen.

 

The brunette watched them leave. He had to call Chanyeol now. The two had exchanged numbers a while back at the cafe.

 

Chanyeol’s number was dialed into his phone, and Chanyeol immediately picked up, as if he had been waiting for Baekhyun’s call.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun. What’s up?”

 

“Hi Chanyeol. I’m so sorry to bother you now but, do you wanna hang out on Friday?”

 

Distinct yelling, off the phone

“Kai, what day is it again? Thursday you say, ok.”

 

“Umm, Chanyeol, I don’t know what parallel universe you’re living in, but on Earth, its Wednesday.”

 

“Oh, yeah, either way I’m free.”

 

“Could you, maybe bring Kai along as well?” Baekhyun questioned nervously.

 

“Kai? Why would you want to bring him?” the confused tone was noted in Chanyeol’s voice.

 

“Uhh, no reason. I just like the guy?”

 

“Kai?”

 

“Yeah, he’s a really nice person to be with, I guess.”

 

“Do you…...have any….strong feelings for him(awkward laugh).”

 

“What? Of course not! He’s just a younger brother. Even though he’s taller than me,” Baekhyun was incredulous at Chanyeol’s inferences.

 

“Are you still sure about Kai? Don’t you want to avoid awkward conversation? I mean, Kyungsoo seemed pretty freaked out. What’s exactly his problem anyway?”

 

“Just don’t ask about Kyungsoo. Please. Anyway, so the zoo this Friday? Can I bring one of my friends over? He really likes the zoo.”

 

“Sure. Friday’s the date.”

 

Pause.

 

“I-I meant not a date date. It’s li-” Chanyeol stammered.

 

“Sure.”

 

-click-

 

A/N: So here's Chapter 6! I like this one a lot. And now that Cake has revealed her lovely bias, I guess I will too! It's the squishy ball of adorkableness, Kyungsoo! Or D.O, whatever you guys wanna call him. Just wanna congratulate him on his drama and Chen for his song! It's on the charts, btw.
So anyway, the plot has been set in motion. It'll develop more. I hope.
Baekyeol is so wonderful to write, phone convos r the best. 
Well have a nice life!
Strawberry~