PUPPY PROBLEMS

Four People, One Big City

"Whatcha doing?"

 

Baekhyun jumped up and banged his head on something hard.

 

"OW!"

 

Both Baekhyun's and the stranger let out a strangled cry. The brunette whipped around to face a not-really stranger, "Kyungsoo?!"

 

"Why are you looking at puppies?" Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, rubbing his sore chin. Baekhyun laughed nervously.

 

"Um, well you see, I thought it was about time we got a dog."

 

"No pets allowed remember? The landlady almost kicked us out for owning a tiny fish."

 

"Um. Yeah...poor Mr. Bacon. I can't believe he had to take the flush of death and see the light slowly fade through the muddled waters of the great graveyard of fish."

 

"His name was Mr. Bubbles. I clearly remember saying we could not name him Bacon," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the name.

 

"His name was Mr. Bacon," Baekhyun declared, ”Embrace it. I’ll just sneak the dog in.”

 

“Baekhyun, we honestly don’t need a dog.”

 

Baekhyun panicked. He couldn’t tell Kyungsoo about his crush on Chanyeol or else that would break the poor boy’s heart, “Um, um, um. Just because. Please Soo, pwetty pwease.”

 

The kicked puppy expression. Kyungsoo heaved a sigh and relented.

 

“Which one are you buying?”

 

Chanyeol arrived at the house carrying the bags. The sheer load of it all drove the giant’s arm to house excruciating aches. The time was already 1:00 pm. Way past breakfast or lunch, and too early for dinner. He carelessly tossed the supplies into the fridge before padding into the living room. Kai and Chen were seated on the couch. Their eyes were trained intently on the TV screen in front of them. The light from the TV illuminated their faces, casting an eerie glow upon them. Chanyeol leaned to the left, only to discover that they were watching Pororo.

 

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You guys are watching Pororo?! AHAHAHA! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! HOW OLD ARE YOU GUYS?!

 

Three minutes later…

Three boys sat on the couch leaning forward, eyes tracking every movement on the TV.

 

A golden puppy was cradled in Baekhyun’s arm. It squirmed around before letting out a tiny sneeze. Both boys gushed. It was too adorable. Kyungsoo called Chen to let him know that they weren’t returning to Chanyeol’s house.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, Chen. Me and Baekhyun are gonna go back to our apartment.”

 

“Okay.”

 

On the other side of the phone...

 

Chen: Hey wanna go over to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s?

Chanyeol and Kai: Why not?

Chen: Okay!

 

Back to phone…

 

“Chanyeol and Kai are coming over.”

 

“Oh, okay. That’s perfectly fine- WAIT WHAT?! No, no, no, no, no. Baekhyun just bought a puppy and we can’t afford to have visitors at the moment.”

 

“Baekhyun did what?”

 

“He got a pupp-” Baekhyun ripped the phone out of Kyungsoo’s hand, shoved the puppy into the younger’s arms, then skedaddled a safe hearing distance away from a confused Kyungsoo.

 

“Look, Chen. The reason why I got this puppy was because I told Chanyeol the first time, and I don’t want to seem like a loser for lying before. So keep your lips sealed okay? Don’t tell Chanyeol anything.

 

“Wow...this makes you seem even more of a loser….Anyways, we’re coming over.”

 

“NOOOOO!!! Don’t you dare!”

 

“Too bad. We’re already on our way.”

 

-click-

 

Baekhyun’s mouth hung open. Expect Chen to make his life as miserable and troublesome as possible. The troll was on a roll.

 

“Kyungsoo, hurry! We have to get back quick,” The puppy was yanked back and the phone was thrown to the black haired boy, and then the two took off sprinting, their jackets flapping behind them.

 

Outside the building 1:34 PM…

 

Baekhyun scoped the surrounding area while Kyungsoo stood guard.

 

“Clear,” The two quietly entered the building. They carefully sneaked past the receptionist. She had her head bowed down. She was staring down at her phone screen intently, while sobbing. Obvious break up with her boyfriend. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had good luck today, she was not paying any attention to the two males, “Almost there…”

 

Outside the building 1:35 PM…

“We’re here!” Chen announced with a sweep of his arm. The other two stood there, indifferently. Boredness was written all over their faces. However, on the inside, both were memorizing the address, just in case they ever needed it again. (not for stalking purposes)

 

The three entered the building. They were met with two figures creeping towards the elevator.

 

“BAEKKIE! THE SOO! WHAT’S UP?!”

 

The receptionist’s head snapped up. Her shrewd eyes immediately identified the puppy in the petite male’s arms, “Is that a dog?”

 

“Run!” The two ahead raced towards the stairs, closely followed by the trio, who were closely followed by a security guard. The other three quickly caught up to the pair ahead.

 

“Why are we *wheeze* running?” Kai questioned between of air. Kyungsoo shot a glare at Chen who sheepishly smiled, “Because that doofus over there just had to shout and ruin our chance to get upstairs!”

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s apartment was pretty high up. On the 25th story. A lot of running was needed.

 

“Quick! This way!” The group made a sharp left and took a sharp right before Kyungsoo fumbled out his keys and shoved it in the lock. The five collapsed in the safe vicinity of the apartment.

Everyone was too tired to talk. A wheeze here, a cough there and couple of gasps were heard before everyone regained their ability breathe properly. They definitely needed more exercise.

 

Chen spoke up first.

 

“I would just like to sincerely apologize to you guys for making you run up twenty five flights of stairs. I take all blame and responsibility.”

 

The other four murmured in agreement at Chen’s words and then the yelling began.

 

“You little bastard! Why would you yell!”

 

“You made us run up so many stairs! I could’ve died!”

 

“I just wanna ing strangle you!”

 

“Chen! I ing hate you! Damn right you will take all responsibility!”

 

Chen sat down, surprisingly calmly as the onslaught of profanities continued. Blah blah blah die, blah blah blah you Chen, blah blah blah- wait, take all responsibility?

 

“So, what exactly do you guys mean? The only words I’m hearing are and Chen. You guys now? I’m sorry, but I’m taken.”

 

The five groaned, and began socking puches at his groin. A particular hard punch came from Kyungsoo, “Still now?”

 

A tiny bark echoed in the air. All attention fell to the little bundle of golden fur huddled up on the carpet. Chanyeol’s eyes lit up like miniscule chandeliers.

 

“Guys. This is Channie,” Baekhyun gently patted the puppy’s head. In return, it bit him. Baekhyun yowled, and it wasn’t a pretty yowl, “ARGGHHH! DAMMIT YOU UNGRATEFUL PIECE OF ! YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT I ADOPTED YOU FROM THOSE ABUSIVE OWNERS!”

 

All eyes stared at Baekhyun. He squirmed uncomfortably, “Um I mean. That’s okay. I still love you.”

 

“Yeah, anyways. Kyungsoo why don’t you prepare for us?” Chen pushed Kyungsoo towards the kitchen. The latter protested, “But I wanna play with the puppy!”

 

“Oh don’t worry. I insist.”

 

“Wait, what? I didn’t say I wanted to cook-” Kyungsoo was cut off by Chen’s hand. The younger turned around and winked at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun internally thanked Chen. Huh, that didn’t happen very often. Usually it was death threats.

 

“Hey Kai. Could I talk to you for a second?” Baekhyun dragged the tanned male to a different room, far away from the giant who was currently preoccupied with the task of entertaining the sleepy pup.

 

Baekhyun shut the door behind them.

 

“Um, Baek, I love you and all, but I don’t think it will work out between us. I mean I like Kyungsoo so…” Kai awkwardly started.

 

“What? No! I was going to talk to you about Chanyeol!” Baekhyun stared incredulously at the younger.

 

“Oh thank god,” Kai let out a sigh of relief.

 

“What exactly is that suppose to mean. Am I’m not worthy for you?! AM I NOT BETTER THAN KYUNGS- anyways off topic. I need to tell you about Chanyeol. I bought the puppy just today because I told Chanyeol before that I have a dog, but I didn’t really have one. So you have to keep your mouth shut.”

 

“By they way to answer your question, you’re incompetent compared to Kyungsoo. Nothing. Nada. Zero.”

 

“KAI! Focus!” Baekhyun seethed. Did no one take him seriously?

 

“Okay, okay. I got it.”

 

The two returned to the room. Chanyeol hadn’t noticed the short interim the pair had taken. Kai plopped down next to the giant and softly the puppy’s silky head.

 

Kyungsoo cautiously walked over and sat down on the couch, unbeknownst to everyone staring at him. He shot a glance at Kai, who was lovingly petting the dog and his eyes softened. Soon after, they returned to their cold gaze.

 

Chen had been fooling around with the pots in the kitchen, making a helmet for himself. He was wielding a rolling pin while battling imaginary enemies.

 

“Take that you fools! And that! And that!” He jabbed the air.

He was unaware of the absence of one small boy in the kitchen, and once he he had defeated his enemy (a vicious dragon), he quickly remembered about Kyungsoo.


 

Chanyeol smiled,”So how long have you had this puppy?”

 

Baekhyun shifted his weight from foot to foot uncomfortably, trying to stall for as long as possible. Kyungsoo was in the room and he couldn’t exactly answer it with his presence. The seconds ticked by, and with each passing tick, Baekhyun cursed Chen with a more intense profanity. Where the was that bastard Chen? He promised to keep Kyungsoo in the kitchen. Never trust a troll to keep his word.

 

Kyungsoo felt the thickness of the silence build up, almost drowning him. He decided to pipe up, ”We just got him tod-”

 

Baekhyun grabbed a cup of soda and leaped at him. In the process he “accidentally” dumped it on the poor black haired boy’s head,”Oh, look at that clumsy me. I just got soda all over you. I’m just like Kai now. HAHAHAHAHAHA.”

 

“What the heck?! Baek, you did not do that by accident. You literally grabbed the cup and dumped it on my head! All I was trying to say was that you got the puppy tod-”

 

“Kyungsoo!” Chen wrapped a hand around Kyungsoo’s mouth ,”Get your back up to the kitchen!"

 

A gloomy and soaked Kyungsoo trudged back to the kitchen, and reluctantly began to cut some vegetables, envisioning them as Chen and Baekhyun. He cut off all their heads.

 

"You're eating nothing for dinner tonight Kim ing Jongdae. Same for you, you bastard Baekhyun." Kyungsoo muttered. "Absolutely nothing."

 

However, Chen was too immersed in a new battle with an ugly, green ogre to hear.

 

In the living room, Baekhyun was having much more fun. He was playing with the puppy, and hanging out with his potential lover. The little ball of fluff ran between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, before finally stopping at Kai. It looked up with inquisitive eyes and cocked its head to the side.

 

Kai chuckled and began to pet Channie. The dog of course, not his best friend. That would be weird.

 

The puppy rolled over on to its back, and the tanned waiter tickled its belly, while Chanyeol and Baekhyun sat there sporting twin pouts.

 

They had wanted to play with the dog, but the animal had a mind of its own. It had chosen Kai, of all people, to play with.

 

When Kai was younger, he used to volunteer at the animal shelter. He enjoyed playing with the newborn puppies because they reminded him of his old self. Courageous and free. Completely and utterly free.

 

Puppies in the shelter needed homes to live. They had to be loved for and cared for, something Kai had been deprived for quite a while. Dogs and Kai were on the same terms. Though different (duh, Kai's a human and a dog is not), every species shares similarities, and the ability to feel the same things as lower intelligence animals is not astounding. It's simply life.

 

Dinner rolled around and the plates of steaming food were placed on the table. Everybody sat down and gobbled their food down, after not being able to eat breakfast and lunch.

 

In between slurps, Baekhyun asked a question some of them weren't exactly sure how to answer, "So are you guys going to stay overnight or what?"

 

Kai and Chanyeol exchanged an unsure glance. Chen just sat there contently rubbing his full stomach.

 

"If we stay? Will you guys have enough room for the three of us to stay?"

 

"Yeah of course. You guys can sleep on the couch or floor or something," Kyungsoo flicked his hand towards the leather couch, which was covered with junk. "After we clean it up, of course. And by we, I mean Baekhyun. I already have to clean up your room. Time for you to repay the favor. Oh, the blankets are in that closet over there.”

 

Kai walked over to the closet and opened the door. Inside was a stack of fluffy white blankets along with a few extra pillows.

 

“Whaaaaat? My room is completely clean. I don't need other people to help me clean it up. But fiiiiiiine,” Baekhyun just wanted Kyungsoo to leave quickly so that no drama occurs between the two due to the new puppy. He began picking up the wrappers and chip bags. Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun a weird look. Usually clean up would consist of long hours arguing, and then of labor, in which Baekhyun would get snacks, and Kyungsoo would do most (all) of the cleaning.   

 

Baekhyun noticed that Kyungsoo hadn’t gone back to their room yet. He beckoned Kyungsoo to go, ”Soo, it’s okay. Just go get some rest. You must be tired.” Kyungsoo shrugged. Nice, not selfish Baek rarely appeared, so he might as well take this opportunity and go get some rest. It had been a long day.

 

Baekhyun heaved a sigh as he heard the door close. Kai, Chanyeol and Chen had already began setting up the blankets. Chen was going to take the couch (as he had called dibs),  while Kai and Chanyeol would spend the night on the floor. Baekhyun wished them goodnight and headed to his own room.

 

However there was a little problem.




A/N: Here is Chapter 15! Its pretty long compared to other chapters, so please enjoy reading it! School has started, so the updates aren't going to be coming as quickly now. But, we'll make an effort! And muahaha, yes I'm evil. whats the problem at the end? Take a guess. And COMMENTS COMMENT COMMENT! I spazz every time i see one. Makes me happy.

Strawberry^-^