THE STAR

Four People, One Big City

When you wish upon a star

Makes no difference who you are

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you

New Year’s Eve was a hustle and bustle event. Everyone moved throughout the house like a herd of buffalos, even though there were only four people present. It was loud mostly because of Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

“Take that you scurvy fiend!”

“How dare you kill my bumblebee! Honey was da boss!”

“No he wasn’t! Ladybugs FTW!”

“You and your stupid insects.”

“Bumblebees are insects too you know.”

“...........I knew that.”

Scratch that. It was loud only because of Baekhyun And Chanyeol.

The two insects were engrossed in their video game, like mosquitoes hovering around a light bulb. Their thumbs quickly pressed the buttons to evade any insect repellant that was flying their way. (Btw, this game was rated for children 5 and up. Not surprising, right?)

Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Kai, and Chen had planned to stay up until midnight, so they could celebrate the new year the moment it began. Anyone could hear Chen frequently calling throughout the house, asking what time it was.

“Hey, guys, what time is it?”

He would repeat this five times, before Kyungsoo answered in an annoyed voice.

“It’s 10:00! Stop asking!”

And then Chen would repeat the cycle five minutes later. Kyungsoo was not pleased, to say the least.

The owl-eyed boy trudged throughout his apartment, wandering around the halls, not knowing exactly where to go or what to do. He bumped into Kai, who was carrying two red cups full something.

The two of them had grown closer since Thanksgiving, and Kyungsoo began to talk to Kai more, and allowed his real self to show, even though it was only the slightest bit.

“Umm….” Kai said, liquid sloshing around in the drinks like the butterflies in his stomach, “Wanna….join me on the balcony?”

Kyungsoo pondered about how he should respond. He could stay in the house, listening to Chen constantly ask for the time and hear the battle cries of the Bumblebee and the Ladybug, or he could join Kai in (hopefully) pleasant conversations on the balcony. The latter seemed like a much better idea, but he was still uneasy about it.

Staring at Kyungsoo’s thinking face, Kai began to ramble.

“I mean, it’s ok if you don’t want to but I mean it would be nice if you joined me and I’m not forcing you or anything so-”

“I’ll join you.”

Kai’s mouth fell open, and Kyungsoo floated his way to the open night sky.

Two chairs were pulled over with a screeching noise, and they sat down unceremoniously. The moon was full and stars littered the sky, illuminating the dark night. Kai handed Kyungsoo the cup. And like all real men do, the two gulped down their apple juice (no alcohol, or is there?) with a smack of the lips.

“So……”

So……."

“The weather is nice.” Kai facepalmed. Why did he just say that? He was pretty sure nobody enjoyed 20 degree weather, especially Kyungsoo who got cold easily.

“Yeah. The stars are pretty bright. I can see all the constellations.”

“Oh really? Which one is that?” Kai extended his finger toward the sky, staring at Kyungsoo’s lovely face.

“Ummm, Kai, that’s the moon.”

Double facepalm. “Right. I knew that.”

Kyungsoo quietly chuckled. Kai smiled. Kyungsoo’s laugh was pretty and smooth. And this meant compliments.

Oh yes. Kai was about to begin flirting. He didn’t take those Flirting 101 classes for nothing.

“Your laugh is really pretty.”

“Kyungsoo’s eyes grew wide.

“What?’

Uh oh. This wasn’t what the lessons had said. That line was a guarantee for a blush. Damn it. Chen and his stupid flirting lessons.

“Umm, what I’m saying is uhhhh……... you should laugh more often?”

Kyungsoo did blush this time.

Kai pat himself on the back. Good save.

“So, uhh, that constellation over there Sirius, and that’s Orion’s Belt. See how they’re near each other? That’s how you can find them…….”

Kai couldn’t hear anymore. He enjoyed the sight of Kyungsoo animatedly talking about something, and looking happy, a big difference from his usual melancholic face. It was really nice.

Kyungsoo went on and on, never stopping, and Kai was proud. Kyungsoo was more open now. He could express thoughts and feelings, instead of trying to suppress them.

And then Kyungsoo stood up abruptly, and ran back inside. Kai quickly followed.

“Kyungsoo! Wait! Wait!”

Thanks to his long legs, he caught up to Kyungsoo before the turn, and embraced him in his arms. Kyungsoo struggled against his arms and flailed around.

"Let me go! Let me go!"

"Kyungsoo! Calm down!"

He continued to try and escape, but Kai had a strong hold.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. ‘I….I haven’t opened up to anyone in so long and I just freaked out. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Kai said, “It’s ok.”


“OHMYGOD! LOOKLOOKLOOKLOOK! A SHOOTING STAR!” Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s voices boomed throughout the house.

“Let’s go look, ok, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo nodded meekly and scrambled out of Kai’s arms, cheeks flushing a light shade of pink.

A shooting star was floating across the sky, burning brightly. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were right next to each other, marveling at the sheer beauty of it, with their hands intertwined. Chen made a face, but didn’t question it.

Kyungsoo and Kai stood next to each other on the edge of the balcony, watching the star fly by.

Every night, you know you always look so fine
5
You’re just like a rock star, you know how fine you are
4
Imma take you to the secret place
3
Drop the shades and crank the bass
2
Hey girl, you know how to play
1
Uh, I know how to play

Midnight.

Happy New Year!