THE DATE THAT’S NOT REALLY A DATE

Four People, One Big City

Kai and Chanyeol walked up to the ticket booth in the corner of the subway station. It was packed, filled with commuters who were scrambling to get to their jobs. Two teenage boys dressed in casual clothing seemed pretty out of place in a crowd of adults clad in suits and carrying briefcases.

 

On the ride over, Kai remained silent, until Chanyeol spoke up.

 

“Are you excited?” Kai glanced over at the tall giant who was practically jumping up and down in his seat.

 

“I’m okay, I guess.”

 

“I’m just so excited to see Baekhyun. We haven’t seen each other in two days! Oh, and I also can’t wait to see Kyungsoo…...obviously.”

 

Kai merely rolled his eyes and slumped down in his seat. Chanyeol just sighed contently. In love. The guy was clearly in love. There was no doubt about it. All he talked about was Baekhyun. Baekhyun this and Baekhyun that. Kai swore if he heard that wretched name one more time, he’d rip his head off. Speaking of Baekhyun, what happened to his best friend?

 

Kai's mind wandered off to the scene from yesterday. Was that Kyungsoo’s boyfriend? Oh wait, Baekhyun had said one time that Kyungsoo was currently “y, free, and single”, but maybe he recently got a boy? Aish, he had to stop over-thinking for once. It didn’t help in the past, and it wouldn't help now.

 

The two leaped off at the next stop and galloped to the zoo. More like Chanyeol galloped, Kai was dragged along behind.

 

Once the pair arrived, they waited.

 

And waited.

 

And waited. Until finally…

 

“HEY GUYS!!!!” Baekhyun appeared out of nowhere, in oxygen rapidly, ”Sorry we’re late.”

 

The brunette pulled the other two, Kyungsoo and a stranger from behind the bush. Kai tapped his foot, waiting for an explanation as to why he and Chanyeol were standing at the entrance for one hour.

 

“I apologize deeply on behalf of my friend’s carelessness,” the stranger bowed down.

 

“WHAT? How was I careless? You were the one that got us all lost!” Baekhyun vented out all his anger on the boy. Chanyeol studied the male. He had high cheekbones, and a cat-like smile.

 

Kai, on the other hand, instantly recognized the stranger.

 

“You’re the one who was with Kyungsoo at the park yesterday! What’s your name?” Kai snapped his fingers, desperately trying to grasp the new guy’s name, ”CHEN! That’s right!”

 

Everyone stared at Kai. Kyungsoo spoke up first, “Did you see us yesterday?”

 

“Uh…..no.”

 

“Then how’d ya know?” Chen piped up.

 

“Just cause………..I’m psychic?”

 

"You didn't happen to hear anything, did you?" Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows suspiciously.

 

"Uhhhhh......nope. I totally didn’t listen to your conversation. Nope. Totally didn’t.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head,”Guys, let’s just go to the zoo, mmkay? So proper intros first. This is Chen.”

He motioned towards the newcomer.

 

“Hi. I’m Chen, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s best friend,” Chen swiveled around  to face his friends. ”Right guys?”

 

“Sure,” the two shorter males replied simultaneously, and rather sarcastically.

 

“Yeah yeah, let’s just go to the zoo,” Chanyeol hurriedly ushered them to the ticket booth.

 

Throughout the morning, Kai and Chanyeol kept shooting death glares at Chen. Queries whirled through their heads, both thinking the same thing. Was Chen really just a friend? He seemed a little close, did he not? Their suspicions only rose when Chen randomly shouted out,”I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!” Pecks on the cheek soon confirmed their suspicions.

 

Chanyeol and Kai, then activated their telepathic communication. Or in simpler terms, facial expressions.

(Kai on the left, Chanyeol on the right)

 

Do you think Chen is dating one of them?

I’m not sure. He’s pretty close to the both of them.

Yeah, he’s kinda touchy.

Why do you care anyway?

Well, why do you care?

…….Really? I told you I liked Baekhyun about two hours ago.

There’s only one way to find out.

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Yeah.

 

Kai and Chanyeol lead the way to a crowded bar. You might be asking, a bar in a zoo? Well, some places are special, don’t judge. Also, it was a gay bar…..

 

Chanyeol took Chen by the arm and lugged him over to a guy with a nice forehead.

 

"Chen," Chanyeol shoved Chen into the stranger. The shorter swiftly picked up on what the giant was doing. Chen made quick work of his time and soon, the other, Suho, had given him his phone number.

 

“So, I guess we were wrong,” Kai leaned back on the counter, observing the redhead smile up at Chen.

 

“Yeah, I think Chen can go for any person. Well, at least we don’t have to worry now.”

 

“Let’s ditch them and get back to Baeksoo.”

 

“Baeksoo? What kind of ridiculous name is that?”

 

“It’s like a friendship couple.”

 

“Yeah but if you pair their names together, it sounds like they’re a real couple.”

 

Chanyeol opened and closed his mouth a couple times, trying to think of something witty to say back. His actions just made him look more idiotic.

 

“Whatever, let’s just go,” Chanyeol marched out. The two ditched Chen, who didn’t really mind considering he was eating Suho’s face off.

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were looking at the pandas a little further off.

 

“That one looks like Tao! And so does that one! And that one too!” Kyungsoo continued to snap pictures of all of them, claiming each of them looked exactly like Tao.

 

“Except for that one,” Baekhyun pointed to a lonely panda that didn’t have black rings circling its eyes.

 

“Oh well, too bad for him.”

 

“Hey! Guys!” Chanyeol and Kai ran up to “Baeksoo”. They were out of breath, as if they had just ran a marathon. Chen was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Where’s Chen?” the shorter two questioned. They began to worry as the other pair remained silent, exchanging nervous glances.

 

“Well, we kinda left him at the bar with this guy…” the taller two squirmed under Baekhyun and Kyungsoo's icy cold glares. Who knew such short people were capable of such scary faces?

 

“You guys just LEFT him there?” Kyungsoo raged. Kai and Chanyeol trembled and hugged each other. The devil had spoken.

 

“Great, do you know what he’s gonna do to that poor guy? That’s right. He’s gonna take him to the rhinos,” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo took off, sprinting towards the rhino exhibit. Kai and Chanyeol stumbled after them, befuddled at the words that came out of Baekhyun’s mouth. Rhinos?

 

Upon arrival, there was no sight of Chen whatsoever.

 

“Where are they?” Kyungsoo grumbled.

 

“Try his cell,” Kai suggested.

 

“Fine,” Kyungsoo didn’t even bother glancing at Kai.

 

The phone rang four times before going to voicemail. Kyungsoo muttered some profanities under his breath that sounded an awful lot like, you Kim Jongdae, I ing swear I’ll murder you when I find you. Kai couldn’t believe such vulgar words could come out of such a pretty mouth. Wait what?

 

“Maybe he’s at the elephants? They’re kind of like rhinos.”

 

The four took off.

 

At the elephants. Nope.

“Not here. Giraffes?”

 

At the giraffes. Nope.

“Try the lions?”

 

At the lions. Nope.

Kyungsoo sat down and listened to the lions roar.

 

At the monkeys. Nope.

Chanyeol sat down, tired from too much exertion.

 

At the parrots. Nope.

Baekhyun sat down and grumbled, “Why are they so noisy?”

 

At the entrance of the zoo. Nope.

Kai sat down and vented his frustration by swearing his heart out at Chen.

 

Then, Kyungsoo’s phone buzzed.

 

“Hey guys. What’s up? I saw the missed call.”

 

“WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!” all four of them hollered into the phone.

 

“Um, at home….why?”

 

-click-

 

As the four trudged home, they realized that none of them actually spent the time to look at the animals, so they reflected back on their day.

 

Between Chanyeol and Kai:

 

 

 

“Who knew Chen could get on your nerves in just a few hours?” Chanyeol kicked a stone.

 

“At least we know that he doesn’t like Kyungsoo or Baekhyun, right?” Kai smiled, despite the grueling runs.

 

“So what’s up with you and Kyungsoo?”

 

“What?”

 

“Why would you care if Chen likes Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“I saw them at the park hugging each other. Oh, and there was a kiss.”

 

“Oh….but that still doesn’t explain why you would be jealous.”

 

“What? I’m not jealous. I don’t even like Kyungsoo!”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. I'm completely sure."

 

“Hundred percent?”

 

Yes.”

 

“Positive?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“One hundred percent su-”

 

“FINE! I HAVE FEELINGS FOR KYUNGSOO, OKAY?!"

 

“See, I told you~”

 

Meanwhile,  Kyungsoo and Baekhyun:

"So, do you feel better about Kai?" Baekhyun inquired.

 

"I guess so. I didn't really get to talk to him."

 

"But you can see he's nice right? He's nothing like him."

 

"I guess you're right. Maybe he's not so bad. But I still hate him."

 

Baekhyun groaned. His mission was a flop.

 

"I just want you to be comfortable with other people, besides Chen and I."

 

"It's me and Chen, but anyways, you can't really change how I feel."

 

"Speaking of Chen, where do you think he went? I doubt he actually went home."

 

"I don't know. But I swear I'll kill him with the sharpest knife I can find when I find out."

 

"I'll graciously help you."

 

The two broke out into a fit of laughter. And that’s when Baekhyun heard Kai’s voice amidst all their giggling.

 

“FINE! I HAVE FEELINGS FOR KYUNGSOO, OKAY?!”


Someone had some explaining to do when he got home.

 

A/N: Here’s an early update! I hope you enjoy this chapter.

The zoo is Chen’s ultimate trolling area. Beware! Especially because there are rhinos.

Well, I’m done with this lame author’s note.

Bye! Have the best luck! lolololololol

Strawberry~