Too Tired To Die - Chapter 2

Too Tired To Die

A man staggered through the crowded streets while clutching at his chest.  Beads of sweat glistened on his forehead and his face was twisted in pain.  He was gasping for breath but refused to let it stop him from what he had to do.  He tried to focus on the path ahead but he felt the world pinning beneath his feet.  It didn't help that people were bumping into him from all directions but he lost his footing when the pain became too unbearable.  His knees grew weak and he felt himself collapsing to the ground.  He had no strength left to fight it.  All he could do was wait for the impact against the concrete below.

To his surprise, he felt a pair of arms grabbing onto him, breaking his fall.  He wearily raised his head to see who was supporting his weight.  A small sigh of relief escaped his lips when he saw the face of the young man.

"Sunggyu, are you alright?" the young man asked, worriedly.

The man gave a small nod and managed a weak smile to reassure the young man.  "I'll be fine.  I just need to take my medication when I get home."

The young man frowned with a troubled look upon his face.  Despite the forced smile on the older man's face, he knew that the older man was in pain.  "Let's get you home then."

"No, not yet," protested the older man.  "I have to find Tei."

The young man glanced around.  "Where is he?"


The child walked beside the nice boy who held his hand while the other boy followed them several steps behind.  They had walked down several streets but had no luck in finding the child's father.  The boy glanced down at the child and noticed that he was still sobbing.  He sighed, feeling sorry for the child and wondering where the father could be.  What kind of father would leave their child alone?

As they passed by an ice scream van parked by the side of the road, the boy led the child towards it.  His friend wondered where he was going he saw the ice cream van and followed suite.  

The child continued sobbing until the boy handed him a vanilla ice cream.  He looked at the ice cream in front of him then at the boy as if contemplating whether or not to accept it.

"It's for you," said the boy with a smile.

The child hesitated a moment.

"If you don't want it, I'll have it," said the friend, stepping forward to take the ice cream but the boy pulled it away out of his reach.

The boy handed the ice cream who urged him to take it.  "You'd better eat it before the ice cream monster there gobbles it up."

The child's sobbing finally came to a halt as he took the ice cream from the boy.

The friend pouted.  "No fair!  I want one too!"  He whinged and pulled at the boy's arm until the boy finally bought him an ice cream.

They continued walking down the street with the child and the other both busy their ice creams.

"What was your father wearing?" the boy asked, hoping to gain a better description of the child's father.

The child thought for a moment.  "Clothes."

The boy simply chuckled as if expecting such a response.

The friend looked at the child.  "So let me see if I've got this right," he began.  "Your daddy is someone taller than you and he wears clothes?"

The child nodded, not recognising the hint of sarcasm in the friend's voice.

The friend looked at the child who stared back at him.  There was a moment's silence between them before the friend broke away in frustration.  "You see, this is why I don't like kids," he said to the boy who stood with an amused look on his face.  "How much longer do we have to babysit him?  We have homework, you know."

The smile disappeared from the boy's face.  "I know."