Too Tired To Die - Chapter 11

Too Tired To Die

Sunggyu stood beside the bed and watched as the doctor injected a needle into Woohyun's arm.  The doctor turned around and saw the worried look on the teacher's face.

"He's going to be alright," said the doctor.  "You know how kids are these days, staying up all night and partying too much.  He just needs some rest."

Sunggyu breathed a sigh of relief.

"Shouldn't you be getting back to class, Mr Kim?" the doctor asked.  "Class has already started."

"Ah," said Sunggyu.  It had slipped his mind that the bell had rang.  "Thank you, Doctor Lee.  Please look after him.  I'll come again after class to see how he's doing."

The doctor smiled.  "You're a very dedicated teacher, Mr Kim."


A short while later, when Sunggyu was out of sight, a man entered the doctor's office and closed the door behind him.  The doctor looked to see who it was before casting his eyes back on the sleeping boy on the bed.

"How's he doing?" the man asked.

"Your puppet is about to break," informed the doctor.  "We should put an end to this before it's too late."

The man looked at the boy.  "There's no need for you to worry.  If it comes to that, my watchdog will deal with it," he replied nonchalantly.  "Just do what you're here for."


When Woohyun regained consciousness a while later, he found himself in the sick bay.  All was quiet except for the sound of the rain outside.  He tried to recall what had happened.  He glanced around the place, hoping to see the man who had come to his aid but he was met with disappointment when he found himself alone.  He heard the bell ring and wondered how long he had been sleeping.  When he glanced over at the clock on the wall, he realised that it was home time.

He climbed out of bed and head for the door but was startled when the door opened.  He figured that it was probably the doctor coming back to check up on him until he saw the man at the door.

"You're finally awake," said Sunggyu with such relief in his tone.  "I was afraid that if you weren't awake this time, I was going to have to do something drastic."

"This time?" Woohyun asked, wondering what the older man meant.

"I came to check up on you at the end of each class, but each time you were still sleeping," Sunggyu explained.  "Doctor Lee said you needed to rest but I was worried if you might be hungry."

It was then Woohyun realised that he had not eaten anything all day.

"How are you feeling?" Sunggyu asked.

"I'm fine," Woohyun replied.  "Thanks for your help, Mr Kim."

Sunggyu's expression turned serious.  "You had me worried."

"You were worried about me?" Woohyun asked, a little surprised.

Sunggyu smiled at the boy.  "Of course," he replied.  "It's only right for a teacher to worry about his student."

Woohyun's face faltered at the older man's response.

"About the after school tutoring," Sunggyu began with much hesitation.  "We might have to put that on hold for the time being."

Surprise and disappointment appeared on Woohyun's face.  The one thing that he looked forward to most in school was short lived.  He wanted to ask why.  He wanted to know if he had done something wrong to make the older man dislike him.  There were many things he wanted to ask but he refrained from doing so.  He did not want to cause a scene.

Woohyun lowered his head.  "Then I'll go home.  Thanks for everything."

Just as Woohyun headed for the door, Sunggyu grabbed him by the arm to stop him.  "Wait, it's raining outside."

"It's just the rain," Woohyun insisted.  "I won't die from it."

Sunggyu frowned at Woohyun's uncaring attitude.  "You'll get sick," Sunggyu scolded.  "Let me take you home but there's somewhere we need to stop by first."