Too Tired To Die - Chapter 16

Too Tired To Die

"No!" Sunggyu shouted when he saw Hoya's blade aiming straight at clueless child standing there.

Without mercy, Hoya brought his sword down and slashed his blade at the child.  His blade tore at the fabric and ripped into the flesh of his victim.  Blood splurted out and stained his sword.  He frowned when he realised whose blood it was.

Blood gushed out from the deep gash across Woohyun's back.  He had used his own body as a shield to protect the child.  Without thinking, his body had moved on it's on, determined to protect the one his people had labelled as the abomination.  It never occurred to him that the one they were after was such a small child.  He looked at the child, wrapped in his arms and smiled when he saw that the child was unharmed.

"Woohyun!" Sunggyu screamed as he ran over to the boy who had protected his son.

A smile appeared on Woohyun's lips when he saw the worried look on Sunggyu's face.  "Mr Kim, so you care about me after all," he said as blood trickled down the side of his mouth.

"Of course I do," Sunggyu admitted.

Woohyun smiled at Sunggyu's words. 

Hoya sneered at the scene before him.  "You've gone astray, Woohyun," he stated as he raised his sword.

Sensing the imminent danger, Woohyun pushed Sunggyu and Tei aside and picked up his sword off the ground just in time to block Hoya's blade.  Hoya glared at the boy who was determined to defy him. 

"Sungyeol!" Hoya shouted.  "I will deal with this traitor.  Spare no one."

Sungyeol looked hesitantly at Woohyun who was trying hard to hold his ground against Hoya.  He could not disobey orders.  He gripped the two short swords in his hands and started towards the child but was intercepted by Sunggyu, who tackled him to the ground.

"I won't let you hurt him," said Sunggyu, trying to hold Sungyeol back.

"That child must die," said Sungyeol as he knocked Sunggyu aside.

Refusing to give up, Sunggyu rushed towards Sungyeol just as the boy struck his sword down.  Sungyeol stared in shock as his swords plunged through the man's chest.  He panicked.  His swords had never been stained with human blood before.  He immediately withdrew the swords as Sunggyu collapsed to the ground.

"Daddy!" Tei cried beside the bleeding man.

Woohyun eyes's widened in shock when he caught sight of Sunggyu on the ground, covered in blood.  "No!"

"Finish him!" Hoya ordered when he saw Sungyeol standing there with the child within reach.

Like a madman, Woohyun forced his way past Hoya and rushed to Sunggyu's side.  He held the the dying man in his arms and placed his hand over his chest to try and stop the bleeding.

"No," Woohyun cried.  "Please, open your eyes and look at me.

To Woohyun's surprise, Sunggyu's eyes slowly opened.  The older man looked at him and slowly raised a hand towards him.  Woohyun smiled upon feeling the older man's gentle touch against the side of his face.

Sunggyu managed a weak smile.  "I'm sorry..."

With those words, Sunggyu's hand dropped to his side.

Woohyun felt his world stop. 

He wanted to wake up from this horrible nightmare.  He let out an agonising scream as the pain and anguish rose up in him.  Unable to bear the pain, he spat out a mouthful of blood but his eyes widened in horror when he saw the colour of his blood.

The child looked at Woohyun and smiled.  Finally.