Too Tired To Die - Chapter 15

Too Tired To Die

She ran desperately through the deserted streets while clutching tightly at the bundle in her arms.  Her pursuer was hot on her heels.  She had to get away.  She knew that it would be the end if he caught up.  Those ruthless killers would never spare her kind because of fear.

Hoping to lose her pursuer, she darted through an alley.  She ran as fast as she could and reached the end of the alley where she bumped into a man walking along the street.  She gasped in startled shock, fearing that he was one of them until she saw the books scattered on the ground.

"I'm so sorry," the man apologised.

Without a word, she continued running down the street, leaving the man to pick up his books.  As he did so, another figure brushed past him.  He raised his head and caught a glimpse of a young man armed with a sword. He knew something was wrong when he noticed the young man heading in the same direction as the woman from earlier.


She was running out of breath and her legs were growing weak.  She glanced back only to be greeted by the sight of a blade aiming straight for her.  She gasped in shock and her eyes widened in fear.  Before she could do anything, she felt the blade slashed across .  Blood gushed out as she fell to the ground, lifeless.  He stood in silence for a moment until the sound of a baby crying brought him back to reality.  He glanced at the body of the woman covered in blood and looked at the small bundle in her arms.  He knew what he had to do.

Though it was only a small child, he could not let it live.  He raised the sword in his hand and plunged it down only to be tackled from behind and pushed aside.  He turned to see who had interfered.  He assumed it was another one of them and was ready to attack but he held back when he saw a harmless man rush over to woman.

The seemed distraught upon seeing the dead woman.  He picked up the child and held him in his arms before turning to look at the young man.  He glared at the ruthless killer.

"How could you do something like this?" the man scolded him. 

"Give me that child," the young man demanded.  "It cannot be allowed to live."

The man scoffed at the young man's words. "Who are you to decide that?  He's just a child."

"I am a hunter.  I hunt demons," replied the young man with the utmost seriousness.  "And he is no ordinary child."

The man seemed surprised by the young man's words.  He took a moment to comprehend what the young man had just said.  It made no sense to him.  The man shook his head, refusing to believe it.

"Take a look," said the young man, indicating to the woman's body.

The man followed his direction and was shocked to the blood flowing out from the woman had turned black.

Taking advantage of the situation, the young man advanced on the man.  He was confident enough in his skills that he would be able to end this without harming the man.  He gripped his sword and aimed for the child in the man's arms.  What he did not expect was for the man to turn around, using his body as shield and allowing the blade to plunge into his back.  The young man immediately withdrew his sword, but the blood on the blade told him that it was too late.  


He opened his eyes and squinted at the bright light that surrounded him.  Perhaps he was dead and this was heaven.  He lay there for a moment, letting the thought sink in until he heard sound of a baby crying.  He immediately sat up but flinched at the immense pain on his back.

He scanned the room and saw the young man holding a small bundle in his arms.  He was relieved to see the child unharmed.

"You're a foolish man," said the young man.  "A fraction deeper and my blade would have pierced your heart.  You may have survived but you will suffer prolonged side effects.  Is this child's life worth you risking yours?"

The man looked at the child and smiled.  "Thank you for sparing his life."

"I didn't do it for him," the young man replied as he looked at the man.  "Because of you, I have become a traitor.  From now on, along with this child, we will be hunted by them."