Too Tired To Die - Chapter 14

Too Tired To Die

Sunggyu buried his face in his hands and let out a troubled sigh.  He should have chased after the boy yet he was frozen in shock.  He could not stop thinking about Woohyun and the kiss that they shared.  He knew that it was wrong and that he should have done something to stop it but a part of him did not hate it.  He cursed himself for being a terrible man.

"Daddy?"

Sunggyu's head shot up when he heard the soft voice calling him.  He was so lost in thought that he did not even notice the child standing there staring at him.  He immediately got up from the sofa and rushed over to the child.  Upon closer inspection, he noticed the child's red eyes as if he had been crying.

"Tei, what's wrong?" Sunggyu asked, worriedly.

Tei leapt into his father's arms and hugged him.  "I'm scared, daddy."

Realising that the child must have had a nightmare, Sunggyu held him in his arms and tried to comfort him.  "It's alright.  It was just a dream.  Come on, let's get you back to bed."

Just as they headed for the bedroom, they heard the door bell.  Sunggyu thought it strange and wondered who it could be at this hour of the night.  With Tei still in his arms, Sunggyu walked towards the door.  He stood at the door and contemplated a moment.

"Who is it?" he asked.

There was a moment of silence before he heard a familiar voice.  "Mr Kim..."

Recognising the voice, Sunggyu quickly opened the door to see Woohyun standing there.  "Woohyun..."

Woohyun looked at the older man but then noticed the child in his arms.

"Woohyun," Tei exclaimed when upon seeing the boy.  "Where did you go?"

"I..." Woohyun could not respond.

Sunggyu saw the troubled look in the boy's eyes.  "Woohyun, about before, I-"

Before Sunggyu had a chance to finish his sentence, Woohyun reached out and grabbed Sunggyu's hand, much to the older man's surprise.  Sunggyu looked at the boy questioningly.

"We have to get out of here," said Woohyun as he tried to pull the older man with him.

It was then Sunggyu noticed the sword strapped to Woohyun's back.  "Woohyun, what's going on?"

"I know what you are," Woohyun replied.

Sunggyu jerked in surprise and looked at the boy.  He finally understood.  "You're a hunter?"

"The others will be here soon," said Woohyun.  "We have to go now."

"I knew this day would come where you would betray us,"spoke a voice.

They looked up ahead and saw two figures walking towards them with weapons drawn.  Woohyun unsheathed his sword and stood in front of Sunggyu as if to protect him and the child in his arms.  Sunggyu was surprised when he recognised the two approaching figures.

"One traitor after another," Hoya commented with a smug look on his face.

"Woohyun, don't do this," Sungyeol pleaded, showing concern for his friend.  "You know what he is.  You know what we must do."

Woohyun glanced over his shoulder at Sunggyu.  He had made his decision to protect this man.  Even if this man thought nothing of him, he would not let him die.

Hoya narrowed his eyes at Woohyun.  "Dongwoo should have killed you along with the others."

Without warning, Hoya rushed into the attack.  He struck his sword down with a mighty swoop but Woohyun was able to block it.  While their swords were locked in a battle of strength, Woohyun glanced at Sunggyu.

"Run!" he shouted out to the older man.

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun and then glanced at the child in his arms.  He was torn between wanting to run but not wanting to leave Woohyun behind.

"Want to run?" said Hoya.  "I won't let you."  He struck his sword down once again at Woohyun and kicked the boy aside.  "Sungyeol, deal with him."

Sunggyu began to run but Hoya caught up to him in no time.  When he saw Hoya's sword raised above him, ready to strike down, Sunggyu released he child from his arms and pushed the child behind him.  Sunggyu stood, ready for the blade to claim him but it stopped inches from his throat.

"Out of the way, you fool!" Hoya snarled as he pushed Sunggyu aside and turned his attention on the abomination standing before him.