Too Tired To Die - Chapter 5

Too Tired To Die

"Good morning everyone.  I am Mr Kim," the man introduced himself.  "I will be your new homeroom teacher from today."

The boy sat at his desk and stared at the man standing at the front of the room, taking the roll call.  He did not expect the man to be his new homeroom teacher.  He wanted to ask how the child was doing but he decided against it since the man did not seem to recognise him.

"Nam Woohyun."

There was silence.

Mr Kim raised his head from the list on his desk and looked about the room.  "Is Woohyun not here today?"

The boy was staring at the man until he felt a kick to the back of his seat.  He jolted and turned around to face his friend who was sitting behind him.  He looked at his friend questioningly.

"He called your name," his friend whispered.

Realising that he had been daydreaming, the boy turned back to face the front and saw the man looking in his direction.

"Woohyun?" Mr Kim repeated while looking at him.

"Here," he replied, expecting the man to lecture him for not paying attention but the man smiled at him and continued taking the roll.

Just as Mr Kim had finished taking the attendance, the announcement on the PA system interrupted them.

"Nam Woohyun and Lee Sungyeol, please make your way to the principal's office."

Upon hearing his name, Woohyun got up from his seat and headed for the door.  His friend sighed in annoyance but soon followed him.  The whole class had their eyes on the pair except for a student sitting in a corner at did he cared.  Mr Kim looked with slight concern at the two boys as they exited the room, wondering what they had done to be called to the principal's office.


The two boys stopped outside the principal's office and looked at each other before knocking on the door.

"Come in," beckoned the voice on the other side.

They stepped inside and closed the door behind them.


A short while later, the classroom door opened.  Mr Kim glanced over and saw Sungyeol returning to his seat.  He looked back at the door and waited, expecting Woohyun to walk in after his friend but the boy did not appear.


When the bell rang, marking the end of the first period, the door to the principal's office finally opened and Woohyun stepped out.  He was struggling to put on his school blazer while looking a little dazed.

"Are you alright?" a voice asked.

Upon hearing the voice, Woohyun straightened himself up and focused his attention on the figure approaching him.  He was slightly startled when he looked up and saw the person's face.  "Mr Kim?"

Mr Kim looked at the boy and noticed that his shirt was not tucked in and his tie was missing.  "Are you not feeling well?"

"I-"

Woohyun's words came to a sudden halt when he felt Mr Kim place a hand against his forehead.  Shocked by the older man's actions, Woohyun remained frozen, not knowing how to react.  Thankfully, Mr Kim retracted his hand after several seconds.

"You don't have a fever," the older man announced, looking slightly relieved.

"I'm fine," Woohyun replied and began to walk away.

"Woohyun," Mr Kim called out after him.

Woohyun stopped and glanced back, waiting for the older man to finish what he wanted to say.

Mr Kim contemplated a moment before voicing his thoughts.  "I know it's only my first day here but as your teacher, I just want you to know that I'm always here for you.  If there's anything that I can help you with, please let me know."

Woohyun looked at the man for a moment before responding.  "Can you do my homework for me?"