Too Tired To Die - Chapter 8

Too Tired To Die

Sunggyu arrived home to find Tei playing with his toys in the lounge room.  Upon seeing his father walk in the door, Tei ran over to hug him.

"I'm sorry I couldn't pick you up today," Sunggyu apologised, hoping that the child was not angry with him.

"It's okay, daddy," said the child.  "Uncle Myungsoo bought me an ice cream and then we went to the park and I played on the slide and then..."

Sunggyu smiled, seeing the child's energetic response.  "You sound like you had a lot of fun."

Tei nodded with a grin on his face.  "Look what Uncle Myungsoo bought me," said the child, showing off the two action figures in his hands.


Myungsoo was busy chopping up vegetables in the kitchen when he heard footsteps approaching from behind him.  He turned his head to see who it was.  The moment of distraction caused the blade of the knife to slice into the flesh of his finger.

"Are you alright?" Sunggyu asked as he rushed over and grabbed Myungsoo's hand to examine it.  "It's pretty deep.  You're bleeding."  Without waiting for a response from Myungsoo, Sunggyu glanced around for the nearest tea towel and wrapped it around Myungsoo's finger and held it in place.  "We need to stop the bleeding."

Myungsoo remained silent as he looked at the older man.  The wound on his finger did not elicit a reaction from him.  Rather, he seemed more surprised at Sunggyu's concern for him.

When the bleeding finally stopped, Sunggyu too out the first aid kit and cleaned the wound before applying a Band-Aid over Myungsoo's finger.

"I'll finish making dinner," said Sunggyu.  "Why don't you take it easy?"

A slight frowned appeared on Myungsoo's face.  "Are you you trying to say that I'm useless here?" he asked.  "It's only a small cut.  I won't die from it."

The older man frowned at Myungsoo's uncaring attitude towards himself.  "A small cut can became serious if not treated properly," said Sunggyu.

Myungsoo regarded the older man for a moment.  "You're too kind, Sunggyu," he said bitterly.  "Even after what I've done to you."

Sunggyu smiled.  "It's not your fault.  The one at fault is me so if anything happens, I will take full responsibility."


After dinner, Sunggyu sat on the sofa with a stack of books to prepare himself for class.  Every now and then, he would glance up to see Myungsoo playing with Tei and his collection of action figures.  This brought a smile to Sunggyu's face.  


Tei enjoyed Myungsoo's company so much so that they played until the child fell asleep.  Myungsoo carried the child to his bedroom where he tucked the child into bed.  Sunggyu followed them but stood at the bedroom door and watched as Myungsoo was ever so careful to not wake the sleeping child.

You're the kind one, Myungsoo, Sunggyu thought.


Myungsoo glanced at his watch and noted that his shift was almost starting.  "I should get to work."
Sunggyu nodded.  He waited at the front door until Myungsoo had disappeared from sight before he returned to the lounge room where a pile of work was waiting for him.


Taking a break from his work, Sunggyu switched on the tv to catch the late night news.

"Police are seeking witnesses to a fire which destroyed an underground club.  It took firefighters several hours to bring the fire under control.  Police were only able to enter what's left of the club not long ago, only to discover the badly burnt remains of the hundreds of victims inside..."