Too Tired To Die - Chapter 6

Too Tired To Die

"Why does he still make you do those kind of stuff when he knows your condition?" Sungyeol asked as he sized the large chicken roll, overflowing with extra toppings in his hand.

"It's fine," Woohyun replied nonchalantly, watching with interest at how his friend was going to fit the large roll in his mouth.

Sungyeol did however manage to squeeze the roll in his mouth to take a large bite much to Woohyun's amazement.


From a distance, Mr Kim caught sight of the two boys sitting at a table in the yard.  One boy seemed to be enjoying his lunch while the other just sat and watched, barely touching his food.  He wondered if now was a good time to disturb them but figured that there was no other time and the stack of books in his arms were getting very heavy.  


Sungyeol was busy scoffing down the his roll when his eyes caught sight of something which had him staring.  Seeing the look on Sungyeol's face, Woohyun turned his head to see what he was looking at.  To his surprise, he saw Mr Kim approaching them with a stack of books in his arms.  Woohyun figured that the books must be heavy from the way the man was clenching his teeth and staggering towards them.

Upon reaching the boys, Mr Kim immediately placed the books on the table and sighed with exhaustion.  The two boys glanced at the stack of books, noting that there was a book for every subject.  They looked at each other with a puzzled frown before turning their attention to the man who seemed out of breath.

"Are you alright, Mr Kim?" Woohyun asked, a little concern for the man breathing heavily.

Mr Kim took a couple of more deep breaths until he finally recovered.  "I'm fine," he replied.  "I didn't realise how heavy textbooks were."

"What's all this?" Sungyeol asked, nodding his head at the stack of books while stuffing the last bit of his roll in his mouth.

Mr Kim smiled and cast his eyes on Woohyun.  "You asked me to help you with your homework," he began.  "But I didn't know which subjects you needed help in so I thought I'd bring them all just in case.  I may not look it but I ranked first in my class back in the days."

Woohyun seemed amused looking at the older man's proud smile.

Sungyeol frowned in confusion as he looked at Woohyun.  "Homework?"

Woohyun looked at his friend and shrugged nonchalantly.  "I was kidding."

Mr Kim's expression faltered upon hearing Woohyun's words.  "Oh, I thought...it's my fault for misunderstanding you.  I'm sorry for disturbing your lunch," he said with a dejected look upon his face.

The two boys watched as Mr Kim grabbed the stack of books in his arms and started to walk away.  Woohyun felt a tinge of guilt as he watched the man struggle with the heavy load.  He frowned, not understanding why he was feeling guilty.  It was not his fault that the older man had taken his words so seriously.  Though he tried to tell himself this, he somehow felt uneasy.


"Mr Kim!" a voice called out from behind him.

Mr Kim stopped and turned around to see who was calling him.  To his surprise, he saw Woohyun rushing towards him.  He wondered what the boy wanted so he stood and waited until Woohyun reached him.

"Let me help you with that," said Woohyun, grabbing half of the books from the stack in the older man's arms.  "About your offer, is it still on?"