Too Tired To Die - Chapter 1

Too Tired To Die

The child's eyes lit up when he caught sight of a giant teddy bear up ahead, surrounded by a group of children.  He saw the teddy bear giving each of the children a balloon.  He wanted one too.  Without thinking, he let go of the hand he was holding onto and ran up ahead.

He pushed his way through the busy crowd until he arrived in front of the giant teddy bear.  He was filled with excitement until he saw the teddy bear give the last balloon to a boy in school uniform standing in front of him.  He pouted and lowered his head in disappointment.

Unaware of the small child behind him, the boy in school uniform grinned while looking at the balloon he had just received until his friend nudged him with his elbow.

"Hey, give me that," said his friend, reaching for the balloon.

The boy frowned and held the balloon out of his friend's reach.  "Not giving it to you," he stated in defiance.  "It's mine."

His friend sighed.  "Just give it here!  How old are you anyway?  Playing with a balloon."

"No!  Someone help!  Balloon snatcher!" the boy cried out playfully while his friend grabbed him and took the balloon from his hand.  He was about to snatch the balloon back until he saw his friend handing it to a child standing behind them.

"Here you go," said the friend, handing the child the balloon.  "You wanted this, right?"

The child raised his head and looked at the boy who was also dressed in the same school uniform as the other boy.  A smile appeared on the child's face as he looked at the nice boy before he reached for the balloon.

The nice boy smiled, seeing the child's face beamed into a smile once again.  He glanced behind the child as if searching for something.  "Are you by yourself?" he asked, a little worried for the child.

The child shook his head.  "My daddy is..."  The child's expression dropped when he turned around and did not see his father behind him.

The two boys stood and watched as the child began to cry.  They looked at each other and then at the passersby who were staring at them as if they were responsible for the child's tears.

"Why is it crying?" the boy asked his friend.  "Make it stop."

"Looks like he got separated from his father," said the nice boy.

The boy sighed in annoyance.  "He's got my balloon and now he wants his father.  That's why I don't like kids.  They want everything."

The nice boy crouched down in front of the child and tried to calm him down.  "Don't cry.  We'll help you look for your father," he said, much to his friend's surprise.

"You can't be serious," said the boy.

"We can't just leave him," he retorted.

The boy frowned at his friend's decision.  He knew that once his friend had set his mind on something, there was no stopping him.  "Fine."

The nice boy smiled at his friend before turning back to face the child.  "Now, tell me, what does your daddy look like?"

The child thought for a moment.  "He's taller than me and he's very kind," he replied proudly.

The child's response caused the nice boy to let out a small chuckle.

The other boy rolled his eyes.  "With a description like that, we'll find your father in no time," he remarked in a facetious tone, earning him a frown from his friend.