Hospital Life

Same old "My Best Friend" Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’ve been staying in the doctor’s lounge for almost four hours, and Tiffany hasn’t come in yet.  I heard from YoonA that a building collapsed and numbers of victims were brought to the hospital, hence, the super full hands of the doctors and nurses.  I’m still waiting patiently for Tiffany to come, I know that this is her job and duty, this is her dream, to save people’s lives. 

I saw her perform such thing before, sometimes when I get bored waiting for her, I sit on the corner, away from everyone’s way and just watch her in action.  She’s so good at it actually.  I can only smile every time I see a patient hug her or a family member would bring her gift just to show appreciation of what she has done to their lives.  And honestly, I couldn’t be more proud of her.

I looked at the window, which had the view of the emergency room, and there are still people but not much anymore unlike the earlier.  I saw few familiar faces and I could see that they’re all tired but not as tensed as earlier.  It’s been a long day for them, these people deserve a rest.  I tried scanning the room with my eyes to look for Tiffany but, no luck, she’s no where.  I hope she’s okay, she barely ate her lunch earlier and now she’s been occupied.  For all I know she’s running all around again. 

I sat back to the couch and reached for my phone, I feel so helpless watching all my friends run around and save lives, so I called for a pizza delivery for them to devour after their busy hours.  As soon as I got off the phone, I heard the door open, it was Yuri.

“Hey!” I greeted her, obviously, she’s tired.   “I ordered pizza, I bet you guys are tired, and I hope you’re hungry.” I smiled at her and received one back.  As expected, food never fails to make my friends smile no matter what.

“Starving!” Yuri said as she sat herself on the couch beside me.

“Where’s Tiffany?” I asked her immediately.

“Yes, Jessica I’m okay thanks for asking.” She answered sarcastically then laughed loudly “Operating room.  Cardiac tamponade, broken bones, depressed skull, internal bleeding...”

“Speak human please?” I told her getting lost from all these medical jargons.  Even if I have these friends, I still don’t get all these alright!

“Ok fine! It’s nasty case she has there.”

“Aren’t you the head of trauma? Why are you here and not helping her or everyone?”  I understand why Fany was the one in that case cause Yuri mentioned “cardiac tampo…” whatever cause she’s a cardiologist.

“Everything’s finished, the last patient with severe injury was Fany’s and I just checked her, they’re doing alright but with the patient, I’m not sure.” She whispered with empathy.

I know these people save lives but there are moments that they couldn’t do anything.  They do their best to save one’s life but sometimes, there’s just nothing they could do about it.  And although these doctors tried their best, I know how they batter themselves sometimes when they lose a patient.  I know, because I’m friends with them and I live with one.  It’s worse when Tiffany loses hers, because she treats her patients as family/friends.  I may never understand the doctor-patient attachment but because of my friends, I learned how to cope and what buttons not to push after their patient’s death.

“It’s going to be one hell of a long night for Fany later” Yuri warned with defeated voice.

“The patient’s not going to make it?” I asked cautiously.  She closed her eyes and just shrugged her shoulders.

“Fany does magic inside the operating room, but this one, there’s really no hope.  The patient’s heart stopped beating for minutes already.” I know she’s trying her best to explain in words I could I understand.

“If you say that then why’d you still bring the patient for an operation?” I asked curiously.

“Because we can do it, we can do something about it.  We can’t just stand and do nothing and wait for them to die, especially when the family asked for us to do something.”

We remained silent for minutes, I’m still trying to digest what Yuri has told me. 

“By the way, congratulations!” I looked at Yuri and I can see a smirk forming on her lips.

I know she’s trying to change the subject and lighten the mood because it’s not for me to think of the dreadful things that are happening in the hospital. 

“Thanks.” I smiled at her. “When will you tell her?” I asked her.  I know she knows what I am talking about.

“What’s there for me if I tell her though?”she asked me.

“Who knows?” I shrugged my shoulders unsure of her question.

“You okay with that?”

“Why won’t I be?” I asked her back. 

She remained silent.   I can see she’s considering my suggestion.

“Don’t hurt her, though, I’ll kill you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter