Etiquette I

Night and Day

Cheongdamdong, Korea

 

 

Hyuna's POV

"So did you wake up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy?" she sung, rocking from left to right while holding the steering wheel.

"U-um... Hyomin... No I did not wake up with male ia."

She laughed. "Have you been living in a cage? You just ruined my song reference"

"N-no. I know the song..."

"Mhmm.. sure," she said, clearly disbelieving. Some moments passed before I decided to show her I wasn't lying.

"Grabbed my glass of blood, went out the door, ready to hit the city. Before I leave, brush my teeth with some toothpaste, cause when I leave with Hyomin don't know if I'll make it back. I'm talking- "

"Oh sweet Mary, Joseph and Jesus in a stable. I believe you. You can stop butchering the song now," she said between her giggling.

"I told you I knew the song. Besides, can you serve a cow? You have to do some butchering before you serve premium beef."

"Or spoilt meat..." We both burst out laughing.

"Say... Hyuna, if I remember correctly, you have a driver's license, right?"

"Yep. Why do you ask?" With her question came my strange inkling that something was amiss. This proved to be true as she stated:

"Well, I won't be able to take you to work in the mornings. I'm going to Italy..." she paused, observing my features. I'm sure they betrayed my will and portrayed disappointment, for I saw her sadden. "I'm sorry, but you know how this job is. We have to constantly be on the move."

I nodded. As we pulled into the parking lot, she continued, "Cheer up! The people here are amazing. Kim Hyuna, FIGHTING!"

"Pffffft! Okay, okay. I'll enjoy work. See you when I see you," I said, smiling. Today was my first day actually working, and with her.... cheer.... of sorts, I decided to enjoy it to the fullest.

 

 

"Hi. My name is Kim Hyuna." I know, I know. It's such an overused introduction, but I couldn't body roll in the laboratory, now could I? They welcomed me warmly, and I knew I'd love it here.

I hit the ground running, plunging into the research immediately. They were working on developing medication right now for the ritrusis virus. It had no cure as of yet, and popped up 2 years ago, spreading like wildfire. It was ironic as three years after the cure for cancer had not only been found, but made available to the masses, this cancer 2.0 appeared, causing much dismay. I was shocked that they had reached this far in the research.

It was my first time having the ritrusis virus beneath my own microscope. I was so absorbed in noting how it underwent mitosis, fused with living tissue and corrupted it, that I didn't realize 5 hours had passed. Thank goodness for my partner, Do Min Joon who tapped my shoulder.

"Hey," he smiled, rubbing the back of his neck shyly. "Aren't you hungry? It's 1 o'clock now, and we're going to lunch... Care to join?"

"Huh? Oh.. yes, definitely. I'll just finish making these notes and come."

He nodded, still smiling and left. I did as I promised. Now that he mentioned it, I was starving. I mean, I walked by another colleague, and she said, "Yes? Did you say something?"

"Oh.. no. I think you're mistaken." Was I to tell her It was just my tummy, speaking in tongues?

I did, just to see her chuckle.

I saw Do Min Joon sitting with a group in the cafeteria and went there. "Hi. I'm"

"Kim Hyuna. Please sit. Make yourself comfortable," a woman said. Her pearly whites were shiny enough to serve as substitute for a candle in a dim room. I decided to have a hamburger. It would be the first time I ate a solid meal. They must've caught on that it was my first time, as they whispered to me.

"Is it your first? I heard you were pure. Don't worry. It'll be easier the more times you do it."

The man beside Min Joon, overheard. I could smell how human he was, apparently he was the deliveryman who ate with them sometimes, and this would explain his misinterpretation.

"Oh my, Min Joon-ah. Is this the place to be making ual passes at your co-worker?"

We couldn't help but laugh at his statement which lowered Min Joon to a ert preying on my purity, though he was referring to the burger. After he left, they spoke about the company. Evidently, the Nochelas' and Diarias' households were both trying to acquire a company connected with pharmaceuticals, which had made great progress in the research of the ritrusis virus. They didn't have the money, nor the best brains under the company to continue the funding of the research. Thus it would be sold to an organization which had these.

"That's what the banquet is for, apparently. The information they have would help us greatly. We'd profit a lot as being the first ones with the cure."

That made sense. Around 20% of the population had the virus. The first household to create the cure would earn a great deal. I wonder what else they compete with? This was on the global scale. Well, we do have to make sure our food is healthy.

"We'd like to throw you a welcoming party tomorrow. What do you say?"

"I'd love that!"  I squealed.. I mean said. Pfft... I don't squeal. 

We went back to work, and it became evident that it would take a while to understand the virus, let alone counteract it. Thankfully, Do Min Joon shared what was known of the virus already. I spent my time reading the countless files and experiments on the virus, so I didn't waste time starting from scratch.

"Hyuna-ssi?"

​I looked up at the source of the now familiar voice. "Yes?"

"Aren't you going to answer that?" he questioned, pointing to the phone which had been ringing on my desk. 

"Ah! Thanks!" I said with a small giggle to hide my embarrassment. I was enamored with the virus. A quick glance at the time before answering the call revealed that seven hours had passed.

"Hyuna?" I'd heard enough of that voice to know it's  owner. Luhan. My memory seemed to be even better these days. I decided to .

​"That's the name I was given, yes" I said, saturating the statement with as much feigned irritation as I could.

"Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed"

I tried my best not to laugh, settling for a huge grin. "No.. thanks to you I woke up in the wrong bed"

As I heard his laughter, I realized my sentence could have been read another way. "Yah! You know what I mean~~"

"Yes, yes. I'm pushing your buttons. Are you ready?"

"Huh? Yes" 

"Take the same elevator. I'll be in the same spot."

 

I took the fancy talking, fingerprint operated elevator, and in the same spot he was. I walked over briskly. He must've noticed the mountain of research moving towards him, for he opened the door for me. 

"Why were you angry earlier?"

I laughed at him. "I wasn't angry. I was just pushing your buttons."

He looked at me, inspecting my features to see if I was being honest. Satisfied, he turned away, before starting the engine.

"Some friends will be over today. I'll introduce you when we get there. Also, there's a banquet we'll have to attend in six days."

My eyes popped out like Kyungsoo's... I think that was more than enough to reveal my shock.

 

 

"Why would you need me there?"

"You're a part of this household, and we need your expertise in order to sway the merger our way. I'm sure you've heard them speaking of the banquet earlier. They never stop talking about it," he said with smile on his face at the mention of his employees. 

"Ah yes, I did. I've never been to one remotely close to the importance of this banquet though. It sounds like the top 1% will be there," I sighed.

"Precisely why you should be there, Hyuna."

I'm not sure I can quite classify the feeling you get, when Luhan looks into your eyes, simultaneously implying that I was the top 1% in his eyes. Butterflies? More like pterodactyls, flapping around in my tummy which had already been in a tumultuous state from that darned burger. 

 

 

Speaking of which, I now understood why they tried not to eat solids. The blasted thing took forever to digest!

"Thanks, Luhan," I  mumbled, praying to God that i wasn't blushing. The ride home seemed to take longer than ever today. Either there was too much traffic, or I was being overly self-conscious. Clearly, there was too much traffic.... right? Right?

Finally, we got there. "After introductions, I'll give you some etiquette classes, okay? You won't feel strange there, then. right?"

"Alright. Thanks"

We entered, and "holy flying goose," there were even more attractive young men today. I would seriously pay someone to leave me a memo so that I wouldn't be so shocked everyday. At least I didn't blurt it out this time.

 

"Hyuna, this is Jongin"

​"He-hello Jongin"

​He smiled, oh dear pink flamingo. "Hi. You can call me Kai."

I nodded, mentally cursing myself for stuttering.

"Umm.. what flying goose were you talking about?"

"Huh? Oh... I was just thinking about the virus, is all. And something hit me... a realization of sorts"

He chuckled. Someone should seriously give me a prize for these spontaneous excuses. Thank goodness that was all that came out.

 

End of Hyuna's POV

 

 

 

 

Annyeong~~!! It's been far too long. OH MY GOODNESS. Can someone say busayy? I'm so sorry for not updating in forever! Thank you for all the comments and support! It doesn't have ideal formatting at the moment because I'm not even on my laptop, but I couldn't let another day go buy without uploading something for you. Forgive me T____T

--Much love, SasukeSasuke

August 1, 2014