Chapter 27

Never Again
When Youngwoon came home that night, he saw Chaeyoung, Jongwoon, and Jonghyun talking in the living room. He haven't talked to any of them in days and he certainly haven't seen his youngest son at all after his younger brother came home a few nights ago. As much as he tried to forget the image of Kibum struggling that night, he couldn't deny the fact that he felt pain in his heart. Seeing his own son - his flesh and blood - fall apart helplessly, he couldn't deny that even after so many years of mistreating him and even destroying his life by taking someone he loves away from him, there was still a part of him that as much as he wanted to hide, wanted to remain as a father towards the younger.

He could see them talking in restless and almost panicked tones, his wife talking to their oldest son with such desperation in her eyes while his younger brother was seconding whatever his wife was saying. Knowing that it was none of his business he kept walking towards the stairs and tried to ignore the words reaching his ears. Without him asking what they were talking about he already knew what it was. 

"Let me take care of him, Jonghyun. Please. Keeping him inside his room is not how it should be done. He needs to undergo the proper treatment. You're lying to him and deceiving him, you can't do that to him..."

"Jonghyun, leave him to your mother. I will help, I promise..." 

"How can I? I don't think I can..." 

~

To Youngwoon, it seemed as if he's been living inside a house all by himself. Sure, the rest of the family aside from Jonghyun and Kibum eat with him at the same time but other than that, he was alone. Even Chaeyoung had decided to sleep in one of the guest rooms available in their house at night with the reason that she can no longer sleep with him, seeing him unaffected of what he's done to their family. And as he work inside his office that night, just like any other night, Youngwoon tried not to think about what was going on in his family and even what was going on with Kibum. 
 
It was already past midnight when he heard a knock on his door. He thought of sending whoever was disturbing him off but with the amount of work he has, he thought otherwise. "Come in," he said monotonously without looking up from his work. 
 
A man walked in carrying a small laptop and stopped in front of his desk. Immediately he opened it and showed Youngwoon a video footage. "This was sent to me earlier while you were in a meeting, sir. Lee Jinki came here more than five hours ago and both the Madam and Mr. Jonghyun talked to him. He was here for more than three hours before he left." 

Youngwoon's eyes widened when he heard Lee Jinki's name. "What was he doing here? Do you know what he and Jonghyun talked about?" he asked, setting his pen down as he looked at the man in front of him. 

"Most certainly to visit Mr. Kibum, sir," the man replied. "I was informed that Lee Jinki headed for the airport after he came here and left the country, the duration of his absence unknown. It seemed he came to see Mr. Kibum to say goodbye." 

Youngwoon watched the CCTV footage taken, his eyes locked on Jinki's figure shown on the screen. He saw the latter talk to Chaeyoung and moments later to Jonghyun, how both his wife and son closed the gates on their unwanted visitor. He saw clearly how frustrated Jinki was as he stayed outside in the cold, pacing in and out of his car and to and fro the gates. 

"Sir..." the man began. 

"What?" he snapped back, his eyes never leaving the footage he was watching. 

"I... I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your family's conversation but... it seems that Mr. Kibum haven't been attending school this past couple of days. And I overheard the Madam, Mr. Jonghyun and your younger brother talking about bringing Mr. Kibum to the hospital to start his treatments." 

"And how is that any of my business, Haejin?" Youngwoon asked the man in irritation.  

"Sir, it has been confirmed days ago that Mr. Kibum's illness has come back," Haejin replied despite Youngwoon's intimidating gaze towards him. "The doctor who came here a few nights ago have affirmed the Madam that Mr. Kibum's condition indeed got worse and needs immediate medical attention. And just earlier, sir, his hallucinations and delusions began..." 

"If you don't have anything more to say you may leave," Youngwoon told him as he picked up his pen and resumed what he was doing, refocusing back on his work. "I have other things to do - things that are far more important - than waste time with your nonsense. If that's all you have for me then you may go." 

Haejin still had more things to say but thought better knowing that once the man he works for has made his decision there was nothing he can do to change it no matter what he says and how many times he try to convince the older. He bowed respectfully before the older man, left the room quietly and closed the door. As he made his way towards the mansion's front door, he thought to himself once again ever since he started working for Kim Youngwoon why did he even applied for his job from the beginning. He heard things about the man before - things that would've make someone turn the other way and look for a job somewhere else - but he knew that those things somehow pulled him closer to Kim Corp. and get the job he was after. 

As soon as he started working for the older man, Haejin already found out Kim Youngwoon's real personality. Harsh, strict, straightforward, and even merciless. From then on until now that was how Haejin would describe his boss. From the early times of his career, he had learned to make sure that he will always please and follow the older man's orders exactly how it should be. And not long after, Youngwoon began to order him to do things that doesn't concern the company and rather, for personal matters. Because of it that Haejin began to believe that the older had begun to trust not just with his work for the company, but also with matters related to the man's family. 

He was the one put in charge to watch Kibum's actions. He was the one who followed him and Jinki wherever they went. He was the one who reported everything to Kim Youngwoon every single detail of Kibum and Jinki's relationship. And he was the one who gave the older man the idea, despite of its absurdity, to work with Lee Taejin in order to separate their sons apart. He didn't know where that idea came from, just that almost as soon as it came to him, he immediately suggested it to the older and even explained how it will succeed. 

And he knew that deep down, he was regretting it. The more he learns about the family, the more he was beginning to think about the mistakes he made towards them - especially to Kim Kibum, whose life has spiraled down because of what he agreed to do. He didn't think that it was going to end up badly. He didn't think that it will cause the younger to break apart into millions of pieces, the rest of the family except Kim Youngwoon desperate to put him back together - to bring him back to life. And he didn't think that it was also going to affect him as much as the rest of the family did, causing him to feel as though he was the one who caused them to break apart. 

~

When he went downstairs towards the dining room to have his breakfast, Youngwoon didn't see anyone at all. Even though the rest of the family haven't talked to him in days, they have eaten their meals together just like a family. And seeing them no where in sight even when they should already be eating confuses him. "Where are they?" he asked when a maid came in carrying a coffee pot and poured coffee in his cup. 

"The Madam left earlier with Sir Jongwoon and Kibum, sir," the maid replied. 

"What about Jonghyun?" he asked again. 

"He followed them just a while ago." The maid bowed and left the room, leaving Youngwoon completely alone. 
 
Quietly, he ate his breakfast and read the newspaper just like how he always do every morning. But even as he distracts himself he couldn't help but wonder and and remember Haejin's words the night before. Kibum's condition indeed got worse and needs immediate medical attention... his hallucinations and delusions began... His hands gripped the newspaper he was holding, crumpling it as he pondered. He thought to himself many different things, most of them surprising him with the fact that they are about his youngest son. He placed the newspaper down and stood up as he made his way towards his office, his palms becoming clammy with anxiousness. 
 
When he got inside his office he immediately went to his desk where he saw Haejin's laptop and remembered the footage his secretary showed him the night before. As soon as Haejin left his office, he closed the laptop not wanting to see anything anymore. But he knew that deep down there was still more he had to see, that he will only feel at ease if see for himself that Lee Jinki did not see Kibum at all, that he left without getting in touch with his youngest son. 
 
The footage continued where he left off, his eyes locked on Lee Jinki as the latter paced around outside their gates. He saw how the latter would look past the gates and onto what he believed to be as Kibum's room, frustration clearly shown in his actions as he stomp on the piled up snow against the sidewalk. Youngwoon fast forwarded the video, watching the latter move about impatiently. Moments later, he noticed something when Jinki came out of his car and walked closer towards the gate. There, he watched the footage in its normal pace and saw Jinki place something in between the gate's metal bars. He paused the footage and zoomed in on the object Jinki brought with him but because of the video's poor quality and the footage taken at dusk, all he could see was that the object was rectangular and almost white in colour but apart from that there was nothing else he could see. He was about to turn it off when he saw Jonghyun come out and once again talked to Lee Jinki. 
 
Their conversation was brief yet he could tell that the two of them were arguing as they stood within an arms reach from each other. Soon after, Jinki got in his car and left, leaving Jonghyun standing by the gates. But Youngwoon already foresaw what was going to happen as he kept his eyes locked on the white object and his son. 
 
Just like any other day, Haejin knocked on his office as if reporting for duty. He was carrying folders as he walked towards the older man and placed what he was carrying carefully on top of Youngwoon's desk. "What was that thing Jinki left here last night?" he asked immediately. "He wedged something between the gates and I want to know what it is." 
 
"I don't know what it is, sir," Haejin replied, cautious of Youngwoon's tone. "But I will look into it and report to you as soon as possible." 
 
"Just have someone search Jonghyun's room, it'll be there. Whatever might that thing Jinki left here be, it's clearly for Kibum and I need to have it as soon as possible. He might have left the country but that doesn't mean he is allowed to make a connection to Kibum. Is that clear, Haejin?" 
 
Instead of answering, Haejin bowed as he stood in front of the older and waited while Youngwoon looked through the paperwork he brought. Subtly, he looked at the older and wondered if the man before him - despite the clear intention of completely separating Kibum and Jinki even with things that connect them - Haejin felt as though there was concern in the man's voice. He hasn't heard Youngwoon say his youngest son's name in a while and even though Youngwoon had mention Kibum's name a few times before, they were all laced with harshness and hostility that Haejin found it hard to believe the older was talking about his own son. But at that moment, Youngwoon said Kibum's name as though he was trying to protect him, a father who only wants his son's safety and a father who tried to protect his son from anyone who can cause his harm. 
 
Deep down, Haejin wished for it to be true. For Kim Youngwoon to finally open his heart to his son who has been deprived of attention and love from his own family, to his son who he had taken away everything he cherish and love, and to his son who needs to be taken care of and a loving family more than ever. How absurd it may sound, but Haejin truly wish that the family he works for will finally be united again. 
 
~
 
As they walk through the brightly lit hallways, Chaeyoung made Kibum close his eyes as he leaned against her, his head on her shoulders so he won't see and get scared of the people around them. Jongwoon was on Kibum's other side helping his sister-in-law support the younger while Jonghyun, who followed them after they left, was walking behind them. Earlier that morning before they left, Chaeyoung and Jongwoon went to Kibum's room and found the younger lying on the floor curled up on his side. She almost fell to her knees when she found her son in such position, her heart pounding against her chest. "Kibum-ah, are you okay?" she asked shakily, kneeling in front of him and gently made him sit. 
 
But instead of answering, Kibum kept quiet and stared blankly, his thin arms lying limply beside him. Chaeyoung held her son's face and felt his cold skin against her palm, silently noting herself to turn up the heater inside the room. On the other side, Jongwoon carefully placed a tray on the bed and walked beside Chaeyoung. "Kibum-ah, are you okay?" he asked again but Kibum remained silent. 
 
"Kibum," Chaeyoung started, taking both of her son's hands in hers. "Do you want to go out? We can go to wherever you want, get some fresh air, something like that." 
 
"I don't want to," Kibum said almost inaudibly. "I don't want to go anywhere. I want to stay here. I want to be alone." 
 
But he knew that he's no longer alone. Not anymore. 
 
He's been hearing sounds - voices - and yet he doesn't know where they are coming from. He tried to look for them but he failed, giving up as he let himself lie on the carpeted floor and wait until they disappear. But all night long, all he could hear were those mysterious voices, listening to them talk as if he was surrounded by so many people inside the room and yet none of them bother to give him the silence he wanted. Kibum haven't slept at all because of them, the voices getting louder each minute that pass. No matter what he did - covered his ears with his hands and even with the pillows - he couldn't tune the voices out of his head. 
 
They were talking loud and clear and yet, for some reason, he couldn't remember what they were talking about. He knew that they were talking about him, mocking him as if he doesn't exist inside the room, and even directly throwing insults at him. They didn't care that he was begging them to stop, that he was already in pain because of their words until he had fallen on his side and his head hit the carpeted floor.
 
"But you have to come with us, Kibum," Chaeyoung said softly, brushing the strands of hair that covered parts of his eyes. "We'll be there just for a little while, I promise.We'll come home as soon as we're done. It won't take that long, I promise."
 
Instead of saying anything, Kibum lowered his head and hid his face from his Chaeyoung's sight, hugging his knees closer to his body. As soon as his mother stopped talking, their voices took over. They were louder, harsher, and he was certain that they were screaming at him. 
 
"Please, stop," he told them. 
 
Both Chaeyoung and Jongwoon heard him mumble something but they didn't understand what he said. They could see him covering his ears, his bony fingers almost gripping his hair. Jongwoon stood up first and went to his nephew's side and took both of the latter's arms, making him stand up despite his unwillingness. Kibum kept his eyes closed, his head bowed, resisting the temptation to let his body fall back down. He couldn't feel any strength in his legs that he knew he was going to fall any second even with Jongwoon holding him.
 
"We're just going somewhere for a little while, okay, Kibum?" he said, his tone somewhat stern yet gentle. "If you're scared, just close your eyes and don't think about anyone or anything. We have to do this because it's for your own good, for your health, and because we don't want you to further deteriorate until it's too late to help you. We don't want you hurting with us not being able to figure out how to take it away from you. We don't want to see you anymore like this." 
 
From the mansion all the way to the hospital, Kibum kept his eyes closed with Chaeyoung and Jongwoon on either side of him, both of them holding the younger. They could Kibum's fear as his body would tremble repeatedly, a groan leaving his lips. By the time they arrived at the doctor's office, he was ready collapse. His breath came out in gasps, his head pounding from the voices' loud screaming, and his body just wanting to be still in one place.
 
"Bummie..." Jonghyun called and he knew that his brother was still upset with him from what happened the night before when the latter only ignored him.
 
The doctor immediately assisted them, helping as they made Kibum sit on top of the bed against the grey painted wall. Automatically, he moved to the very back until he was leaning against the cold, hard surface, once again pulling his knees closer to him. The room felt cold and yet his forehead was covered his sweat, his fringe sticking to his skin.
 
Kibum could hear them talking - his mother, his uncle, his older brother and another man - despite the voices' never ending conversation between themselves. Slightly, he looked up and found all of them sitting on black upholstered chairs, a stranger wearing a white coat. Immediately he felt fear as his body trembled, tears prickling his eyes and threatening to fall. 
 
Who is he? he asked himself. Where am I? What does he want? I want to leave... Get me out of here...
 
Then everything went black.
 

 
A/N:
 
oh gosh please forgive me if this chapter ... i'm editing my other fics while writing this that i almost forgot about that i still have a pending chapter... >_< (forgive me if there are any mistakes... XD)
 
anywho... i think this chapter should be a break from all of the drama because i know that you guys been bawling your eyes out because of the previous chapters... 
 
what do you guys think about Youngwoon's part though? what do you think's going to happen?
 
kekeke... until the next update and remember... VOTE/SUBSCRIBE/COMMENT!!
 
- immaLocket029