Chapter 14 pt. 2

Never Again
A/N: 
the second half of chapter 14... 

 
When Jinki left the building it was the same time where Mr. Kim entered Jonghyun's office with a blank but rather tired expression on his face. He noticed that his son was pacing back and forth, one hand on his hip and the other was pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"How did the meeting go? Did they sign the deal and the new contract?" he asked, seating on one of the leather chairs and made himself comfortable as he leaned back and waited for his son's response. 

"Yes, they did. They'll be sending some representatives to take the finalized documents next week and after that the project can be started," Jonghyun replied, taking a seat across from his father. 

"That's good then." Mr. Kim paused and silence filled the room temporarily. He can tell that something was bothering his son, considering that only kept his gaze on the table in between them and sighs would occasionally leave his lips. After minutes have passed, he suddenly asked, "What's going on with your brother? Did you find anything worthy of being reported to me?" 

Jonghyun's head immediately snapped up and watched his father's nonchalant expression. He was caught off guard with the sudden question. His mind thinking of something he can say to the older man. "No, Dad. There's... There's nothing yet, but I will find something somehow. Just give me time," he wasn't even sure if his father bought his excuse, especially the way his voice quivered slightly when he talked. 

"Is that so? Then why was Lee Jinki here earlier?" At that moment, Jonghyun was sure that his father already everything even if he didn't say anything. He was just suspecting it, but he'd never thought it would true. "Why was he here, Jonghyun? For sure it's because of your brother, am I right?" 

Jonghyun sighed and breathed deeply before finally saying, "He wanted us to leave them alone. He said that Kibum's been affected way too much by what I did..." he stopped, thinking that maybe he went a bit too far that time he met Kibum at the university. "Since when did you know about it?" He looked at his father's eyes, fear slowly building up inside of him especially when Mr. Kim smiled, a smile that he knew was far from friendly. 

"Does it really matter, son?" Mr. Kim's smile grew wider as he fixed his suit and continued, "Do you have anything in mind to break them apart? I want to hear it," he then leaned forward and rested his elbows on his thighs. 

"I don't have anything yet," he said as he stood up and walked towards the window, looking through gaps of the closed blinds. 

"Is that so? If you don't have or can't think of something then I'm going to have to step in and do something. You know very well that if I step in I can't promise not hurting anyone. That's my principle, Jonghyun. Either they do willingly what I want them to do or I'm going to have to force them to it. Give me an answer tomorrow or I'll take over," Mr. Kim stood up and left Jonghyun's office without another word, the door closing with a soft thud. 

Jonghyun was looking towards to the door, his father's words sinking in his mind. Sometimes, he doesn't even know why his father was like that, why he always had to force people into doing things he wanted even if they don't. He never wanted to do it to Kibum, hell he never even wanted to work for his father in the first place because he had a dream of his own, but because he was the oldest and his father favoured him more than Kibum he doesn't have any choice. 

He was still a kid when his father decided to teach him about the family business. When he came home from school and after he's done with his schoolwork, he'd have to read past documents from the company. He would be tested personally by his father, and when Mr. Kim is disappointed with the result he would be punished. He had been punished few times before; therefore he strived to be best. He only knew that his father started mistreating Kibum when he was only a little over six years old and Kibum was a little over three years old, not long after his grandmother died. He never knew the reason of the death, but it definitely changed the family since then. 


When Mr. Kim entered his own office, he immediately called the investigator he hired to find the whereabouts of his son. "What's the address?" he asked letting a few rays of sunlight enter his office and let it hit the maroon carpet on the floor. "Good, send it to me and I'll call you again when I need you to do something else."

The other male voice on the other end of the line answered, they talked for a brief moment before he hung up and within a minute a fax was being sent to Mr. Kim. He took it from the machine and read it, his scanning the page as a knowing smile form on his lips. There was already plan building inside his head, all of the ideas entering mind being put to place that made the whole plan altogether. He sat down on his chair and continued his work, although his mind was still somewhere else. 

He had never imagined that things would come to this, that he would have to take this matter onto his own hands. He thought that Jonghyun was capable enough to take care of it by himself, but then he remembered that his son rather had a soft spot for his brother. He had noticed it before, that Jonghyun was suddenly being careful and acting like a brother around Kibum, and adding the fact that he was told that his oldest son was trying to be civil with the youngest proved it. 

Even so, he still can't get rid of his hatred towards Kibum. Every time he sees his youngest son reminds him of the death of his mother, no matter how many years had passed since the incident. He knew that at some point he was being irrational for hating his son when he just a toddler during that time, but he can't help it. 

When hours passed and the sky grew dark, Mr. Kim realized that he wasn't as productive as usual considering he cancelled three meetings and stayed at his office most of the time. He went home and was met by his wife.

"How was work?" she asked, helping him take off his coat and carried his briefcase. 

"It was fine, is dinner ready yet? I missed lunch today so I'm starving," he replied, loosing his tie and walked towards the living room. 

"Why did you that, yeobo? You should've eaten something even if you're busy." His wife scolded him.

"Oh, I'll remember that. Where's Jonghyun?" Mr. Kim took a seat on one of the reclining chairs as he closed his eyes and leaned back, feeling the softness of the furniture on his back helped his body relax. 

"He's already in his room, although when I saw him he looked bothered. Did something happen at work?" 

"Don't worry about it, yeobo. It's nothing serious," he replied. 

Mrs. Kim went to their bedroom to hang his coat and put away his things. When she came back down she went to stand behind the recliner her husband was sitting on and started rubbing his temples and massaged his shoulders. "Do you mind if I go to the university to visit Kibum? I haven't seen him in so long and I don't even know where he lives right now..." 

"What for? It's not like you to care about him. Besides, he moved out all on his own meaning he's better off without us so don't even  bother." Mrs. Kim was taken a back at first by what her husband said, sighing he continued what she was doing. She wanted so much to see him again, even from a far she would be okay as long as she can see that her son is doing fine. Although sometimes, she feels that there is something going on that she doesn't know about especially with her husband. 

Throughout dinner, the family only talked a few times and had a couple of conversations. The sound of cutleries clanking against the ceramic plates and occasional coughing were the only things to ease the awkwardness in the air. Jonghyun was awfully quiet, only talking when his mother asked him something. Mr. Kim would do the same when his wife asks him about the food and the business. And in between, Mrs. Kim would glance back and forth from her husband and son. 



Without her husband knowing, Mrs. Kim went to the university days after she told her husband that she wanted to go. Even if he told her not to, there's nothing he can do about it because it's her son she'll be seeing. It was a little after lunch when she arrive, a few students walking around, their books clutched to their chest despite the chilly weather that day. She got out of the car when the chauffeur opened the door for her. She then started walking towards the College of Fine Arts building, her purse clutched under her arms as she tugged on her coat closer to her body. 

She knew a member of the Fine Arts faculty and other than her family and everyone who lives inside their house, this friend of hers is the only one who knows the truth about Kibum within the school grounds. Professor Park was Mrs. Kim's friend since her high school days. During one of her visits to the campus, she found out that Park was in the same department as Kibum and had had him for a few classes. She decided to tell her the truth about him because she wanted to be informed about everything and once she was finished, the professor believed it. 

"Chaeyoung-ah," a female voice called from the distance. Chaeyoung turned to her side and saw her friend walking towards with a smile on her face. They hugged briefly and walked inside the building towards Park's office. "What are you doing here?" she asked as they took a seat. 

"To visit you of course," Chaeyoung replied with a small smile. 

"More like visiting your son," Park joked as she poured two cups of tea for each of them, "Have you talked to Kibum yet?" 

"How can I? He doesn't live in our house anymore and I don't even know where he's currently living." She took a sip of her tea, feeling the warmth of the tea spread throughout her body. 

The atmosphere inside the small office suddenly turned heavy and serious, since they are seating side by side Park decided to put an arm around Chaeyoung shoulder in comfort. "What about Youngwoon? He's still blaming Kibum, isn't he?" 

She nodded, "He didn't even allow me to see Kibum here when I told him I want to. I just snuck out and told him I'm going to meet with some friends." 

"It's been so long, why can't he understand that it's not Kibum's fault?" 

"You know him, Jaehyun. He's stubborn and he will never listen to anyone." 

Both of them sighed and changed the subject of their conversation. They talked for a little while, asking each other questions about what they've been doing and telling stories that lifted up and changed the stuffy atmosphere from before. "You know, I heard that Kibum is a candidate for Magna Laude this coming graduation. The Deans have been keeping an eye on him ever since he was in high school and they've been praising him even now. Although what he's majoring in isn't exactly what others would call important like medicine or law, majority of the people in the school are agreeing with it." 

"That's great then," Chaeyoung replied. She heard about her son's accomplishments as school through the previous ahjumma that worked for the family, the one that always took care of Kibum.  "But I don't think there's really a point in telling me that, Jaehyun. I know that Kibum wouldn't like it if I'm there during his graduation." 

"Nonsense, parents are always invited to their children's graduation," Jaehyun countered. 

"Yeah, well not when their children despises them," she retorted back. The truth sent a quick flash of pain to her heart. 

"Chaeyoung-ah, the only thing that you can do to make him forgive is when you ask for it. I know you're scared of what Youngwoon will do, but you have to stand up for yourself because Kibum's not just his son, yours, too." Chaeyoung looked at Jaehyun and gave her friend a hug. 

"I'll remember that, thanks. I guess I better go, I have to home before Youngwoon comes back," she smiled and hugged Jaehyun one more time before leaving. 

As she walked back to where her car is waiting, she caught sight of her son walking across the school grounds being followed by a couple of men that looked like bodyguards with the way they dressed and moved around him. She felt confused about why he was surrounded bodyguards, and then the thought of her husband having something to do it with occurred to her. She knew her husband well, and she also knew that can't be played that long until he catches up that something is going on. When she got home and Youngwoon came in not long after, she kept an eye on him as she watched his every move. 

She didn't notice anything unusual, but that's what made Youngwoon a genius in whatever he does. He can act like everything's normal as if nothing's wrong. One would think that everything's fine when in truth something is happening. She can never be sure that nothing's going on, especially when she noticed that Jonghyun's been looking agitated for quite sometime. Why can't her family be peaceful for once? 
 
 
KIBUM'S POV 

I knew I haven't acting normal, I knew that Jinki had been worrying about me after what happened. But it was hard not to when I keep remembering that my father might be out there waiting to do something. I knew that Jinki hyung's been trying everything that he can for the both of us, and all I can do is just stand there and watch while he did all the work. I wanted to help, but every time I would offer he would make me sit down and just watch. 

I also noticed the changes that have been happening to me. The lack of sleep, the paranoia, even the slightest thud or the lightest sudden touch can make me jump, and the loss of weight. My clothes felt too big for me and I knew that Jinki hyung noticed it, too, when he grabbed my wrist one time and wrapped his fingers around it. As he did, he looked at me and the expression on his eyes told me that he was frustrated. 

At school, I felt like I've been slacking lately. I would find myself staring outside or at nothing in particular, my head would drift off to somewhere other than the lectures, and I can't even focus on the canvas I was painting on. I've already been told by my professors about my lack of concentration and that they're starting to worry about my grades if I don't gather myself up. I can only tell them an apology and that it would never happen again, but I kept failing every time. 

Even my friends are starting to notice the change in me. Minho would sometimes shake me off from my daze when we're talking, his doe eyes showing their concern for me. Taemin would whine that I was ignoring him, and I would see him sometimes walking away from me before I could even say anything. All this wasn't just affecting me – it was affecting everyone else that is close to me. 

And then I found myself at my most vulnerable condition - I would break down out of no where and cry in hysterics. I would find myself getting the strong urge to cry, but I would hold it until I am all alone and let it out. I would never let myself be seen like that, not even to Jinki hyung, because I knew that it would only make things harder for him than it already is. 

I just got home from school and I was all alone. As soon as I got in I already had the urge to go to the bedroom and cry. It always took me everything that I could to stop myself from doing so, and the next time I would feel it, it was much stronger and harder to keep. I decided to make myself busy in order to forget about the feeling as I grabbed my things and started working on the assignments I have.  

The sun had already set, making me realize that I've been occupied for a couple of hours. Jinki hyung should be home any minute by now so I decided to make us dinner. An hour and a half have passed when I heard the sound of the lock on the door being opened and closed. The sound of footsteps came next and Jinki hyung appeared in the kitchen's doorway. 

It made me confused because as soon as he comes inside the house he would run and envelope me in a hug. This time he was quiet, his face a little pale and solemn as he stayed standing in the same position. I walked towards him and was about to ask him what's wrong when I saw two guys behind him, both of them holding guns pointed directly towards Jinki hyung's head and their fingers ready to pull the trigger. "What..." I started but unable to finish. 

Just then, my father appeared behind the guys with smirk on his face. I stood there wide eyes, seeing my father inside our house, seeing the guns pointed at Jinki hyung. I was losing strength that I could feel my knees shaking from fear. My breathing changing it pace as it became quick and fast. "How are you, Kibum?" I stared at my father, disregarding the fact that it was the first time he called me by my name. 

"W-what... What do you want?" he stepped out and walked closer to me until he towered over me. I back away from him and he walked forward until I tripped and fell down. He smiled at me, although it wasn't a smile that meant good. Out of the corner of my eye, the guys who were behind Jinki hyung pushed him hard on the floor, making him fall face first as one of them stepped on the side of his face and the other grabbed his hands together ad tied them on his back. He was looking at me, but with the years that had started pooling on my eyes made it hard for me to see him properly and clearly. 

"I'm here to take you home of course. What else would it be?" My father was obviously enjoying this - his own son's misery and other people's pain.

"Why should I come with you? I was never part of the family so why should I go back to that house? And why do you even care that I'm here or who I am with when you've never cared for me?" I questioned him. Everything that I've kept to myself was slowly coming out. 

"I know, but I would never let someone of my flesh and blood be with the likes of him. So, it's either you're coming or I'll kill him in front of you, Kibum," I turned to look at Jinki hyung once again, seeing that he was also crying. Slowly, I turned my head back to my father and shook my head, pleading at him. 

The smile on his face disappeared as he narrowed his eyes at me. I couldn't breathe properly anymore, and then the sound of gunshot reached my ears and I screamed, "Jinki!!" as I reached my limit and I can only see black. 
 

 
A/N: 
and Mr. Kim is on the move to ruin ONKEY!!
yeah, things are about to get serious in the story... so... 
wait for my next update!! which will probably in a month from now... maybe a couple of days late but thats the maximum...
comment and/or subscribe people!!
silent readers... do whatever you want... XP
- immaLocket029