Chapter 19

Never Again
A/N:
eii guys... just wanted to update because for the next couple of weeks i don't think i will be able because my exams are coming up... T ^ T 
but after june i will have a lot of time to make updates so yeah...
once again, you might want to grab tissues or whatever... the next couple of chapters is just going to be really angsty... >_<
- immaLocket029
 

 
At the hospital, Minho was waiting by the entrance to meet Jonghyun after the older called Kibum's phone. He was still feeling scared and worried after seeing his best friend collapse in front of him, his face pale with his forehead covered in cold sweat. He didn't know what was wrong with him and when he brought him to the nurse's office at school that nurse immediately called an ambulance in order to bring Kibum to the hospital. 

Luckily, he was allowed to come to the hospital beside Kibum inside the ambulance, holding his hand all the way. He can feel the coldness of Kibum's skin against his, how small his hand felt and bony they seemed compared to his. He knew there was something wrong, but he never thought that it would be that bad. As soon as he noticed that there was something wrong, that day where Kibum started ignoring him and Taemin again, he knew something bad happened. 

He also noticed that Jinki hasn't been driving Kibum to school, and when he finally got the chance to talk to his best friend one day he saw the cuts and bruises on the latter's face. At first he thought that Kibum was getting beaten up by Jinki, only to find out through Taemin that the two had broken up already. Minho tried to know what happened, why Kibum and Jinki broke up when the two of them are so in love with each other, but Taemin can only give him a sad smile and the latter would walk away. 

It hurts him seeing his best friend in such a condition. Kibum was already becoming a sociable person, always smiling, and always talking compared to his cold and silent personality before he met Jinki and seeing him change back into the same person from before was not something Minho wants to happen. He was glad that Jinki managed to change his friend into someone better, but he never imagined that maybe Jinki would also be the one to change him back and turn Kibum's previous personality into something worse. 

"Are you Choi Minho?" he heard a woman call him and when he turned around he was faced with a middle-aged woman. 

"Yes," Minho answered, slightly bowing his head. 

"I'm Kim Chaeyoung, Kibum's mother. Where is he?" Chaeyoung asked her expression of worry.  

Minho guided her towards Kibum's room, feeling slightly nervous after unexpectedly meeting Kibum's mother. Even though he's been friends with Kibum for years, he had never heard anything from Kibum about his parents and whenever he tried to persuade him in bringing him to his house just once, Kibum would only decline and the topic would end. The only thing he knows about Kibum's parents was that they never had a good relationship with his friend. The thought of asking Kibum about it occurred to him but he never got the chance to actually do so.  

They stopped in front of a room with Kibum's name on the door. Opening the door gently, Chaeyoung saw her unconscious son lying at the hospital bed, his pale face still covered in beads of sweat. She immediately went to his side, taking her son's hand to hers and felt the cold skin. Using her other hand, she wiped his forehead and fixed the strands of hair stuck on his skin. "What happened to him? What did the doctor say?" she asked, turning to Minho. 

"They said he was over fatigued and too thin for his age," Minho explained. He saw tears starting to pool in her eyes, worry and concern obviously showing in her features. 

There was a time where he asked Kibum about his parents - back in their senior year where both of them talked about their plans after high school. Minho asked him if his parents were coming to graduation, but Kibum only replied “No, they weren't” and that instead, a guardian was coming. At first he thought that Kibum's parents were dead, so he asked again and Kibum replied no. Minho saw that the latter was obviously uncomfortable about the topic, so instead of going further he just dropped it let it go. It made him curious about Kibum's relationship with his parents, but eventually he decided to forget about if. Until he found who Kibum's parents were, the curiosity came back.  

Now seeing Kibum's mother in front of him, gently trying to take care of his son, Minho wondered if something bad happened before in the family that made Kibum have such a complicated tie with his family. Every time it would come up in their conversations, Kibum would avoid it at all cost. Seeing the woman in front of him, Minho examined her actions - the way she would hold Kibum's hand, the way she would caress his face, and the way she looks at her son affectionately and almost apologetic. 

If Mrs. Kim was like this towards Kibum, then why did it seem as if he was so afraid of talking about her? Questions from before came flooding back into Minho's mind, and even though he didn't want to become nosy about such personal matters, he still need to know a lot of things about Kibum. He didn't realize that he had been quiet for a moment, staring blankly at the white tiled floor of the room until he heard Chaeyoung talk.  

"Are you friends with my son?" she asked softly slightly turning to look at him and he nodded. "How long have you been friends with Kibum then?"

"Since high school, ma'am, I've known him for more than seven years I guess," Minho replied. 

"So it's been that long," Chaeyoung sighed and her gaze going back to her son. Her eyes moved over Kibum's face, seeing the almost pasty skin, the dark circles beneath his eyes and chapped lips. 

"Would you... Would you mind telling me how he was before?" she asked, almost embarrassed about her naivety for asking someone about her own son. 

She doesn't know much about Kibum, honestly speaking, what she knew wasn't much, only the basic things such as his education, etc. She felt bad for not knowing everything, she felt guilty for not being there for her son while he was growing up, and even more, she felt sorry for neglecting him until now. She knew should've done something before instead of avoiding it, showed him that she loves him as much as he loves Jonghyun. And then what she heard from Kibum the other day came back to her: I was scared of her. She doesn't remember exactly why she said but she admits that she said those words to him before when he was still a child. 

Minho started talking about Kibum - the first day met, how he kept trying to make friends with him because Kibum was too quiet, always by himself and doesn't talk much, everything until now. He didn't know that reminiscing about their friendship made him feel sad, made his heart constrict from the pain of thinking back to how Kibum was before. He saw that Chaeyoung was trying hard to control her emotions as he kept going, seeing her wipe the unshed tears before they could even fall from her eyes. 

By the time he finished, Chaeyoung stopped bothering to wipe them and just let them fall freely, the contained emotions spilling out. Minho can hear a soft whimpering coming from her, her frame shaking from her silenced cry. Even though she requested it from him, he couldn't help but feel sorry. He doesn't know why but he just does. He felt that there was something wrong the moment she asked him about Kibum, why she seemed to be so unfamiliar with her own son. And Minho wasn't able to help his curiosity anymore. "Mrs. Kim, can I ask you something?"

Without looking, Chaeyoung nodded and Minho continued, "Why was it that Kibum never talked about you or anything about your family? Whenever I asked him, he would just keep silent and say nothing. And he's your son, but how come the public only knows about Kim Jonghyun?" 

Chaeyoung was caught off guard with his questions, freezing a little bit with how strong they were. Composing herself, she answered them as honest as she could without telling the whole truth. She tried to hide as best as she could and she can tell that Minho didn’t believe everything she said. He seemed doubtful, but he didn't bother asking more because he knew that it was tough for her. 

He stayed for a little while more, waiting until Kibum's condition got a little better compared to earlier. His face was no longer sickly pale, his skin warm and he was no longer sweating. Even so, he was still worried about him. No one knows what might happen again, but Minho knows what Kibum won't be the same again after that day.  If ever something does happen again to his friend, Minho wanted to be there beside like how he did before. 

If Kibum told him to leave him alone, he'll be stubborn and stick by his side. If Kibum won't talk to him, then he'll talk instead. If Kibum felt that he was alone, he'll be there and say that he's not because he's got a friend like him. If Kibum was hurting, he'll be there to comfort him. Minho would do anything he can to help him, anything he can to prevent him from slipping away. It might be hard thing to do, but he was willing to try in order to help his friend. He doesn't want to lose Kibum, especially now that he was like this, which only made his decision final. He'll be there for him, for his friend, now that things were slowly wrecking him apart. 


That night, Kibum was finally discharged from the hospital and was on his way home. Inside the car, he felt suffocated being near his mother. His hand was itching to grab the handle and push the car door open and run. Even though the car was a normal size, he kept inching farther as he tried to distance himself from his mother. At arms' reach, he felt like screaming at her to stay back whenever she made a sudden movement that seemed she was getting closer towards him. 

One time he tried to open the car door while at a stop light, he froze and felt as if someone was waiting for him to do something. Reckless, stupid, and irrational. He moved his gaze slowly sideways, and saw that Chaeyoung was also looking at him in a soft gaze. He immediately looked away from her stated outside, silently wishing for freedom that he desperately wanted the minute he came back to that house they call home. 

It was already past midnight when they got home. The car doors were opened and even though he wanted to bolt out of the door as fast as he can, he felt too shaky and weak to do so. When he got out of the car, both Youngwoon and Jonghyun were waiting for them by the front doors of the house, but not long after his eyes locked with his father, Youngwoon went inside without another glance or even say a word. On contrary, Jonghyun came down to meet them. 

But Kibum only walked inside just like his father did and didn't bother to look back to either Jonghyun or his mother. He saw his father walked inside his office, the sound of lock clicking in place, and then it was just the dark oak door looking back at him. Even though he didn't want to admit it, there that slight pang of pain in his chest seeing that his father didn't even bother to know what happened to him earlier. Forcing himself to forget, he quickly walked towards him own room and locked the door. 

He let himself fall onto his bed, feeling his body go limp slowly from the sudden exhaustion that overcame him. He was tired of everything. He knew he had been crying ever since he was brought back, feeling himself become imprisoned once again after a brief chance of freedom. He wanted to get out again, away from hell they call home, away from all of them and his problems. If he could, he wanted to run away from reality itself and never come back. 

Downstairs, Chaeyoung and Jonghyun decided to talk in the kitchen in case Youngwoon walk out of his office and hear them talking. Chaeyoung was holding a glass of water in her hand, leaning against the kitchen counter while Jonghyun sat on one of the chairs. "What happened to him?" he asked, looking at his mother who was looking somewhere else. 

"Over fatigue and malnutrition. His friend told me he's been working himself out at school and he hadn't been eating properly. I should've guessed that since he hasn't been eating that much even at home." Chaeyoung sighed heavily and drank her glass of water. 

Jonghyun didn't say anything in reply, instead he just accompanied his mother until both of them decided to go to their rooms and take a rest. Passing by his brother's room, Jonghyun quietly opened the door and saw Kibum lying down in his stomach still wearing the same clothes he was worn to school earlier. He thought of helping him change but decided not to, that Kibum needed to rest and it's what he's going to give him. 
 

The next morning, Jonghyun decided to take a look at Kibum inside his room. But when he got there he was surprised to see no one. At first he felt panic build inside him, searching the whole room for his brother. He was about to call his mother for help when he a saw small note on top of the neatly made bed, Kibum’s neat handwriting showing on the piece of yellow sticky note.

I already went to school.
I know you probably came to see me
But I don’t want to stay at home all alone with them.
I’d rather be out than see that they're just a couple of feet away from me.
Instead of feeling safe, I feel like they'll hurt me. It feels like I'm in danger inside the house, so just let me out, even for a while...  

  
Even though he understood him, Jonghyun couldn’t help crumble the piece of paper in his hands from anger. Not towards Kibum, but towards his their parents and mostly towards their father. What Youngwoon did to Kibum was too much and now he was like this, wanting to be away from them as much as he can even though he was imprisoned to their house. Sometimes, Jonghyun wish that he can let go of his brother for good, to end his suffering, and if possible, also end his.

But it was probably too much ask for both of their freedoms at the same time, knowing that in the end one way or another, one will be brought back either willingly or unwillingly. Leaving Kibum's room, Jonghyun headed downstairs and saw Chaeyoung already making her way up, probably to check up on Kibum as she was followed by a maid carrying a wooden tray with food on top of it. "He's not there," Jonghyun said, putting an arm out and blocked her way. 

"What do you mean he's not there?" Chaeyoung felt confused. Where can Kibum be? 

"He went to school already," Jonghyun sighed, gently guiding her back down the stairs. 

"He's not supposed to go anywhere today. He's supposed to be taking a rest. It's what the doctor advised him yesterday," Chaeyoung was starting to rumble as they went down and into the kitchen. 

She felt slightly paranoid, thinking that something might happen again to her son while in school. She remembered how he looked like back at the hospital, his face so pale it resembled a corpse. She doesn't even know if he had eaten something before he left, if he was feeling better or not. She wanted to know so much. "What's that on your hand?" she asked, noticing the yellow crumpled paper on Jonghyun hand. 

Instead of answering, he gave her the piece of paper, almost hesitating because he knew that what she'll read might hurt her. But it was the truth. He can sense what his mother was feeling, and even though it hurts to know that it was how Kibum felt, she deserves to know. Chaeyoung took the paper and slowly straightened it, reading the ragged and edgy writing after getting crumbled up. Feeling the pain start to well up inside her, a hand went up to to cover her choked sobs.

She didn't want to but her eyes kept going over and over those words Kibum had written. She had to seat down to prevent herself from collapsing as she reads the small note repeatedly. Chaeyoung had read it so many times already that she can practically hear and see Kibum say in front of her, his voice hushed yet sharp enough to bring pain to her heart. 

"Seriously, Mom, what happened before? What did you do to him?" Jonghyun questioned taking a seat across from her. 

The pain in her eyes was mirrored in his, and even though he only read the note once it felt as if he'd memorized it by heart. The words kept going over and over in his mind, almost flashing before his eyes. Chaeyoung put the crumpled paper down on top of the table between them, her gaze moving towards it and lingered. If only she could turn back the past she would change things and alter how they are now. If she could, she would take care of Kibum when he's still a toddler and she never would have abandoned him after finding that there was something wrong. 

Breathing deeply a couple of times, she started, "When you were still young, I guess around five, before your grandmother passed away," she took a deep breath again trying her best to  control her emotion and continued, "Your father and I found out that Kibum was showing signs of schizophrenia. It wasn't certain that he is schizophrenic, but there were signs of it." 

Jonghyun couldn't believe what he was hearing. Kibum was sick before? Schizophrenia? How come he doesn't even know about this? "What? What... What are you talking about? How can he be sick, that sick?" 

"It's not common for children to have an illness like that, Jonghyun," Chaeyoung explained, "But it doesn't mean that it can't happen to them. Kibum's case was one of the unusual cases of schizophrenia because it happened to early, he was too young. I thought nothing of that illness before, even though my father had the same illness before he died. I guess it got passed down to Kibum that's why it happened to him." 

"If he's sick then why - I mean what happened between the two of you?" 

"I couldn't accept that fact, Jonghyun. It was hard to accept it that time and I was upset, frustrated, and disappointed that my own son was ill. It can't be cured, it can't be. But it can be controlled and I think that's why he seems normal now."

"Why are you only telling me this now, Mom? How come I'm only being told about this right now? Why didn’t you tell me before?" 

Jonghyun felt infuriated about it, and even though he doesn't know much about Kibum himself this was too much. There're still things he knew about his own brother, but finding out that he was sick - and is probably still is but controlled - makes him so mad. 

"Because I thought I wouldn't have to tell you, Jonghyun. I thought there wouldn’t come a day where I have to explain everything to you about your brother," Chaeyoung started to cry, the crystal teardrops landing on the yellow paper in front of her, smudging the letters into black splatters. "I couldn't take care of him because I was afraid. He was acting unusual at times, mumbling that were something floating above his head even when there's nothing, and he's sometimes talking all by himself. Do you know hard it was to see him like that?" 

Jonghyun could almost see it in his head - Kibum doing all those things when he's still little. For some reason, it felt like he'd seen it before himself but he couldn't remember when exactly. The new information his mother was saying made him feel afraid almost, not remembering anything at all from the beginning of his childhood except for when he was started being taught of his father's business. He wanted to believe that his mother was lying, but deep down there was a part of him that strongly believed it - all of it. 

“What about Dad? Why is he treating him Kibum like this? Why does it seem that he hate him so much?" 

Chaeyoung stood up from her chair and grabbed the note, "I think it's best if you ask your father himself. I... I don't want to talk about it anymore Jonghyun. It's too much, it's too painful." She left the room wiping the remaining tears off her face and disappeared into the hall. 

If Jonghyun wanted to know more about his parents’ relationship with Kibum in the past, he's going to have to ask his father. But how can he? His father, even if someone was dying, he'll never leave his work. And talking about something so personal and about their past, Jonghyun wasn't even sure if he had the nerve to ask his father about it. 


When Kibum stepped foot in school that morning, Minho immediately saw him and ran to his side. Kibum kept walking like everything was normal, as if Minho wasn't trying to make him stop walking for a minute as the latter tried yanking him back to a halt. Keeping his gaze straight in front of him, Kibum didn't say anything, waiting for Minho to say something if he was to say anything at all. For a minute, Minho just kept his hold on Kibum's arm without saying anything to the latter.  

He just kept looking at his face, and even though he doesn't look as pale as yesterday there was still a sign of fatigue on his features as the dark circles under Kibum's eyes seemed to have stayed the same. It was a sunny day for late November and even though the freezing wind occasionally blew towards their direction Kibum doesn't seem bothered about it even though he’s only wearing a thin jacket. "What are you doing here?" Minho asked, lowering his head slightly to level his eyes with Kibum. 

"I have things to do," Kibum simply said, looking ahead of him at nothing in particular. 

"But you were told to take a rest, Kibum. Didn't you hear what the doctor said yesterday?" 

Kibum thought about it, realizing that he doesn't remember much of what happened yesterday. Waking up, going to school, and then blacking out. When he woke up, all he remembers is being at the hospital with his mother seating beside his bed, the doctor coming in to check up on him and the faint mumblings between Chaeyoung and the doctor. His eyes moved briefly to Minho, seeing that he was staring at him, expecting him to say something back. "I have things to do," he repeated and started walking towards the gallery. 

But before he could even walk further, Minho yanked him back with enough force to make Kibum stumble. "You're going home now, Kibum. You have to take rest and forget about your work just for today. You're too stressed out that you even fainted yesterday! Aren't you worried about yourself?" 

"I have to do them, Minho. I don't have much time left to finish all of it." Kibum looked at Minho slightly as he tilted his head towards the latter’s direction, tired eyes meeting worried does ones.

Gently, Kibum placed a hand on Minho's shoulder, pushed him aside and started walking again. Minho was about to run after him when he was stopped by Taemin on the way. The younger dragged him somewhere secluded, and even though classes had already started Taemin doesn't seem to care that were skipping. 

"What happened yesterday?" he immediately asked as soon as they were far from the other students who were making their way to the classes. 

"He fainted from fatigue, the doctor told him to stay home but I just saw him earlier. He won't listen, Tae," Minho replied almost exasperated, huffing deep breaths through his mouth. They went inside a random building and hid inside a lecture hall that was currently vacant, the crispy winter wind banging through the windows making a rattling noise.

Minho threw his bag on a chair and sat on the floor in front of it. Taemin sat in front of him, also setting his bag aside and took of his coat and threw it over his bag. He can see how frustrated his boyfriend was about Kibum, with the way Minho would hung his head low, his elbows resting on his bended knees and his arms stretches out in front of him as his hands clasped together. They stay seated on the floor most of the afternoon, and even though a couple of teachers had already scolded them after passing by the room for skipping class they only decided to move to further into the room where no one could see them through the small window on the door.
 
“You know I told Jinki hyung about your text,” Taemin said, letting out a sigh as he remembers how his brother reacted and his harsh words about the whole thing.
 
“What did he say?” Minho asked leaning against the cement wall behind him, thankful that he was still wearing his coat otherwise he would be feeling the coldness of the wall on his back.
 
“He just said to forget about it, he even said that he was already starting to move on. Like hell he’ll be able to move on just like that!” the younger exclaimed, slamming his skinny fist on the concrete floor.
 
“Seriously, what happened between the two of them, Tae? Just few days ago I saw cuts and bruises on Kibum’s face then I found out they broke up? What the hell really happened?”
 
Was Jinki hyung abusing Kibum that’s why they broke up?Minho thought but quickly argued that it impossible considering the two were too in love with each other and it was obvious that Jinki would never hurt Kibum with the way the older have been so protective of his friend.
 
Taemin didn’t answer at first, hesitating to say whatever he knows which wasn’t that much but he had a few guesses that someone had something to do with it. Carefully choosing the right words, he started, “I think my Dad was involved, hyung.”
 
Minholooked at Taemin, confusion playing in his eyes. “What? How can you say that? Uncle likes Kibum and he was happy that he and Jinki hyung are dating.”
 
“I know, we both saw it ourselves. But, hyung, the past few days Jinki hyung had been avoiding Dad and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to be with Kibum hyung anymore. You know how much I like him, and being told I wasn’t allowed to be friends with him… It’s really hard for me.”
 
“So that’s why you’re avoiding him?” Minho asked and Taemin nodded. “Why didn’t you tell me? I was so clueless, Tae, I didn’t know anything.”
 
“I’m still trying to figure it out, hyung. Jinki hyung won’t tell me anything and whenever I ask he just gets mad at me for asking about what really happened.”
 
“Then what about the cuts and bruises on Kibum’s face? Do you think uncle had something to do with it? Because honestly, I was starting to have a little suspicion that Jinki hyung did that to him.” Minho said.
 
Taemin stared at him in disbelief, “How could you think that, Choi Minho? My brother is not like that! And even though he has a hidden violent side of him he would never hurt Kibum hyung!” He punched Minho in the arm, strong enough to make the latter lose his balance and almost fell to his side.
 
“I know that! Geez, I’m just saying. Besides you can’t blame me since I didn’t know anything, okay? You can’t blame me for worrying about Kibum and then what happened yesterday to him really made me freaked out.”
 
“Alright, alright, I got it.” Taemin was very understanding of how Minho’s relationship with Kibum is. How the latter was always trying to accompany their friend even though Kibum kept refusing, how Minho would always check up on Kibum like an older brother and how, even though both of them are, Minho seemed to have such a deep affection for Kibum.
 
And after they found out about their friend’s real identity and family, there was a part of them that was sympathizing Kibum for some reason. They both had that special need to always be there for Kibum no matter what, always try to make and keep him happy, and also make him feel that he wasn’t alone. Though they don’t know anything about Kibum’s relationship with his family, about the real reason why such information were hid from the public and the fact that almost no one knows about Kim Youngwoon having a second son aside from Kim Jonghyun.
 
Taemin and Minho have so many question that needed answers, questions that could lead them to solving things that have been happening to the people they know. But most of all, the questions they have also wanted to uncover things about Kibum and everything about him. Their mysterious friend that no one really knows everything about, their friend that seemed to be hiding so many things from the people around him, and their friend that they wanted to be there for especially in such situations that he was going through.  

 
A/N:
waaah... i felt like tearing up with this chapter actually... and thinking about my future chapters already made me cry because that's how much i already planned the chapters... 
SUBSCRIBE OR COMMENT!!! (PS: I think someone unsubscribed to me... darn... and i was so close to reachin 100... oh well...)
- immaLocket029