Unfolding the Past

Their Fragile Hearts (Their Powers Sequel)

Sujin’s POV

When we entered the mansion, the first thing I noticed was Jungkook arguing with Namjoon. Sure, Jungkook had a silent hatred for Namjoon but how his voice rose up against the elder was really something new to me. Jungkook was sweet and gentle. That was how I knew him for. But tonight, as Taehyung said, I shall discover the truth and my trust will be shattered somehow.

And I’m not excited to answer the question how tonight.

Taehyung clapped his hands to get the attention of the two. When Namjoon and Jungkook turned to us, they were dumbstruck, speechless and maybe guilty because they were arguing over something petty. I wasn’t sure what. And I didn’t want to know.

“Er, good evening, Sujin,” Namjoon greeted me awkwardly. Jungkook bit his lower lip as he looked away. “I missed you, beautiful,” he managed to mutter. “Where are the others?” Taehyung asked as he looked around. “We’ll be talking in father’s office,” Jungkook grimly said. “The others are already there, waiting for Sujin,” he added.

“Then let’s go,” Taehyung held my wrist before going ahead of Namjoon and Jungkook. I shook his grip off then faced Jungkook. “What were you two arguing about?” I asked. Jungkook shook his head before looking at me. “It’s better if you don’t know now. You’ll figure out later on,” he answered, almost covering his mouth.

I sighed. I had to have patience. There were more secrets for me to discover later. I knew that. A side of Taehyung… Namjoon… Jin, Jimin, Hoseuk, Suga and… Jungkook that I never knew. The office where a lot of father’s shady business happens has double doors. Both are covered with violet velvety cushions. The handle was gold, sculptured into gargoyles of some sort.

Jungkook hesitated on opening the doors but Namjoon gave him a look. What has to be done must be done. I needed to know the truth. I needed to know what they were hiding from me. BTS wasn’t all that seemed and father wasn’t the same gentle man that made me realize the bright side of life.

I remembered how it was, my first day with these boys. Hoseuk and Jimin wanted to know me better together with Taehyung. Namjoon acted like the eldest in the group. Suga wouldn’t even spare me a glance and preferred to sleep all day. Jin gave me everything I needed and gave me advice on how to deal with the others while Jungkook, I couldn’t forget how I first saw him. He was kissing another girl. He was a playboy, Jin told me.

My reminiscing was cut by father snapping his fingers. He was in his chair, with his eyes on me. Jungkook, Namjoon and Taehyung were already seated down on one of the couches. I was the only one standing. I gulped. “Father? What truth is it?” I asked. Father shook his head before gesturing to Jin.

“You must know the truth behind these men who you treat as brothers before knowing mine and yours,” he said. Jin silently went in the middle. I noticed Jungkook patting the space beside him. I sat there and he held my hand tightly. I sensed how tense my boyfriend was but I preferred not to ask. Jungkook was not the type to be easily pried in answering questions.

“I was born as Kim Seokjin, the eldest child in the Kim Household. I am related to the other Kims in this house, Namjoon and Taehyung. They were my cousins but that’s not important. As the eldest child, I was needed to be perfect. They did everything in their power to discipline me. They cut my ties with everything, my friends… my girlfriend… to the point I chose my ties with them.”

“Unlike wolves, vampires know who they are from their birth. We grew up in this accursed state, feeding on humans but who’s to say humans are any better than us? We live on blood, killing humans, while other humans kill for fun. Anyways, I cut my ties by running away. No one noticed though. No one sent a search party. “

“I easily tricked my way into a job as a bartender in a club. And while I was on my way back to the church where I was sleeping as a bat, I met father. Father offered me a home and told me I would be accepted for who I am. I accepted his offer. Whatever paradise I’d experience only had one price and it was my obedience to father.”

“Obedience… I was traumatized by that word but because of father, I now live by that word. I was awarded according to the task I fulfil. About my girlfriend,” Jin gulped. “I tried going back to her, only to find out she was already engaged with someone else. Crushed and devastated, I went back to the mansion. Father said I didn’t need anyone to love. Loving… Having feelings for someone else would only dictate my end and weakness.”

“I became colder while the years went by and for us… For us immortal beings to be in this world for a long time, years aren’t that quick. That changed when father brought a play thing here, I felt life for once. I’ve felt alive because of your humane spirit and I’m not sure what I felt. I treated you like how I treated my little sister. I cared for you and loved you… and I hoped you felt the same for us.”

Jin’s mouth formed a smile directed at me. Jungkook scoffed. “Stop flirting with my girlfriend,” he muffled, pulling me closer. Jin rolled his eyes before chuckling. “Ah, I hope you’ll still keep that boyfriend of yours after you regain your memories, Sujin. No one other than you can tolerate his attitude,” Jin said before settling down.

Suga stood up and the air turned colder. It was always like this whenever he went to talk. Everyone wanted to listen to him. Even if Jin was the oldest and Namjoon was father’s favourite, Suga had this kind of aura filled with authority around him. How Suga looked around us crept me out. I can’t believe Mrs. Kim dated this guy. Mrs. Kim appeared warmer and kinder. She’s very beautiful and well… I could believe it more if she dated Jin because Jin is the most attractive man in this room right now.

Suga cleared his throat and started to speak. “I was a rapper while I was living in my province. It was hard being a musician, especially when my parents wanted me to lead our company to success. I forgot to say. I wasn’t born as Suga. I was Min Yoongi. I was a puppet but with my music, I somehow voiced out my opinions into the world but no one listens to a petty underground rapper like me. I was young, full of hope. I was still clueless how cruel this industry was.”

“On a business trip to Seoul, where we had another branch of our company, my family went into a car accident which I further discovered wasn’t an accident at all. It was planned by our enemies. And those enemies knew what we were… even made sure to have a silver knife stabbed into my father’s head. That was the end to the Min Couple. I was able to escape though.”

“I’m sure all of you knew of this vampire with the accursed body. And I am that vampire. Vampire with the accursed body… how you say? I was a half breed. I was hated for what I am. My mother was a wolf, a widow. Her mate was murdered by a hunter. My father accepted her for what she is. And I was the fruit of their forbidden love. Wolves were mortal so with the blow of the glass into my mother’s head because of the car’s impact, she died.”

“I tried surviving alone, eventually being scouted as one of Korea’s upcoming biggest rappers… but that future wasn’t for me. As I was going home, after a long period of training, father appeared before me. He told me how the humans would use me for their gain, how much they weren’t interested in my music but only by the profit they’ll get from me.”

“I was stubborn at first but I came to my senses. Humans were selfish and greedy. They only want anything if they benefited from it. Father knew what I was and he accepted me. He taught me how to control my powers, being a… half breed himself. He knew my hardships and treated me like I was his son. In BTS, sure, there were obviously favourites but father made sure everyone felt loved.”

“I’m sure you know my relationship with Choi… I mean Kim MiYeon was. We were a couple. We were the most powerful pair out there. She was the sweetest girlfriend a guy could have and I gave everything to her… but she realized she can’t love me like how much I love her. As a wolf, she still had her mate. And I had to sacrifice everything… She left me and when I heard the news she was already a mother of twins, I was devastated. I didn’t expect the twins to be Sujin’s students.”

“It wasn’t obvious how much I appreciated everyone here. I hated and appreciated everyone equally, except for Sujin. She completed the family. She made us all get along, even Namjoon and Jungkook managed to be in the same room without arguing. Gomawo, Sujin-ah and sorry for hiding everything from you,” Suga looked at me.

I felt like his words were sincere. But our eye contact was brief before Jungkook hissed. “I understand, Jungkook. Anyways, she’s too young for me and I’m not like Jin who hits on everyone,” Suga laughed for a moment. Jin jumped up with a “Hey!” When I looked at father, a smile was also on his face. He looked happy while seeing us interact like this. He looked like he felt a burden being lifted from him.

Hoseuk adjusted his jaw, feeling nervous. He was always happy and confident so this was a new sight for me. Jimin patted his back and whispered encouraging words into his ear. Hoseuk nodded at his companion before standing up. He wiped his palms against his pants before scanning the room. He took in a deep breath before beginning his tale.

“I am Jung Hoseuk, an underground rapper known as J-Hope. And just like my name, I did give hope to everyone when I was with my family. I am in the Jung family and us Jungs, we were all different. There were vampires, wolves, even hunters to be honest. I am closely related to one hunter who happens to be a wolf, Krystal Jung and another one who’s a dead wolf right now, Jessica Jung. Anyways, they kind of have a role in my life.”

“I grew up as a happy kid. I was close with my family. Sure, we murdered every night to live but that’s how every wolf and vampire lived. We were careful enough not to be spot by any vampire hunter and we survived. This is where it would get pretty much screwed up. See, Krystal and Jessica were close with each other. They were like twins, especially when they returned to Korea.”

“But after the incident, the tragedy, Krystal and Jessica can’t even talk to each other. Jessica continued on with the madness of the wolves and left Krystal with me. Jessica left her sister for her new pack, SNSD. She even cackled while saying she found her mate. Krystal was really in a sensitive state. Her parents were dead and her sister left her to rot.”

“She… She treated me like the oppa she never had. And I really appreciated that. I took care of her like she was my own sister. Everything went so perfect until she was scouted by the hunters. She wanted to avenge her parents’ deaths and so, she slipped away from my fingers. I told my parents I’ll go to Seoul to follow Krystal. To check if she was all right and they let me do what I wanted.”

“I guess I’m the only happy one here,” Hoseuk looked around with a wide grin on his face. “I saw Krystal but she never noticed me. She was a hard worker, in fact she still is. She trained hard to be part of the elites. When I heard someone was going on a rampage, I quickly asked permission from father but… he never let me go, thinking it was dangerous. It was… it really was. At least Krystal only got a few injuries.”

“I almost wanted to kill Sujin for what she did, no offense,” Hoseuk smiled at me. “None taken,” I shook my head. “But father told me not yet, he had another plan in store and bloodshed would only bring chaos. As time went by… we knew you better and I guess, no regrets on letting you live. Peace,” Hoseuk made a peace sign and sat down.

Namjoon awkwardly went in the middle, his hands on his back. Namjoon was really tall and I usually forget about that. He was awkward but discipline, nonetheless. He knew how to lead his people. He knew the right things to say, except when he’s conversing with Jungkook. That’s just asking for chaos. He was father’s favourite son. He stayed with father the longest. He was the most obedient.

But out of all the men in this room, he was the only one I’ve never seen interested in the opposite .

“I was an orphaned boy. A prodigy, a genius, they say in the orphanage but I wasn’t exactly a social butterfly. My parents died during a fire in Gangnam and I was the only one from the family who survived the tongues of fire. I wasn’t grateful at all. I felt alone. I felt abandoned. I wanted to die. Sure, I was a vampire but that didn’t stop me from being suicidal like I am.”

“I was bullied because of my height and I indulged myself in studying. They said in other countries, education was better. I could be better, so I ended up studying English as my second language. To my disadvantage though, the kids bullied me more. The people in the orphanage can’t care less.”

“It went on like that for two years, until father visited the orphanage I was staying in. He called for me specifically and I didn’t want to see him. Next thing I know the staff were already pulling me towards the room. Father somehow convinced me to come with him and I did.”

“And since then I followed his orders,” Namjoon ended. He was really secretive about his past. But the other boys didn’t care because Jimin suddenly jumped up into the middle with a wide smile on his face. Hoseuk said he was the only vampire here who was happy. How about Jimin though? Did he have a miserable life like the others?

“My name’s Jimin, Park Jimin. I am a pureblood vampire and again, I am not related to that Park Chanyeol. He disgusts me. He should rot in hell. Whatever. I just want him to suffer. I was never the happy person people think I was. I like pretending, acting to be someone I’m not for I fear people would leave me alone. My family accepted me for who I am, they knew how cold I was. They knew how much I didn’t care about the world but they…”

Jimin’s eyes darkened as he looked down on the floor. He took a deep breath before he continued speaking. “… were murdered by the wolves,” he said. “I was orphaned when I was a teenager but I was able to survive on my own. I worked in a dance studio even if the scent of humans were too strong to resist.”

“When I was searching for a new place to live in, Father appeared by the lobby of the dance studio I was working in. He told me that he can take care of me. He told me that he can help me have my revenge. I can’t help but be sceptical at first but he convinced me. And here we are, a few years after, planning an attack on the wolves,” he laughed after saying that but Namjoon signalled him to shut up.

“Let Taehyung start,” Namjoon said. Jimin quickly understood and went back to his place. Taehyung gallantly stood up and went in the middle with a creepy smile on his face.

“Once upon a time, in a land faraway, there was this young boy…”