Consuming Fear

Their Fragile Hearts (Their Powers Sequel)

I took a deep breath as I looked up to SHINee’s dorm. From what I’ve gathered, Rae doesn’t live with them. She lives with the other female hunters. Aside from that, I heard Jonghyun rarely goes out of their dorm so I practically have a chance to talk to him.

I knocked on the door and I heard someone shouting from inside. The door slowly opened, and it exposed the youngest hunter in his sweat pants and t-shirt. “Hyung, it’s the telekinesis wolf!” he turned his head to the back before landing his eyes back at me. “Nice to see you,” he greeted with a smirk before opening the door to let me in.

“We didn’t know you were visiting. Sorry for the mess,” Taemin carelessly said but actually, I didn’t see a speck of dust anywhere. The shoes were properly placed where they belong. There was no trash on the floor. The weapons were surely stealthily hidden. I can’t believe this place was a dorm for five male hunters.

The abandoned building, it’s a dirty place compared to this one. The younger wolves tend to be messy and Xiumin gets infuriated by it. Kyungsoo also scolds them. But nothing changed, Kai and Sehun still keep on spreading their filth everywhere. If I would take Xiumin and Kyungsoo here, they would relax and just feel this is their safe haven.

Taemin gestured to the sofa and there I saw Jonghyun having his legs crossed, wearing the same type of clothing Taemin was wearing. So this is what hunters look like during their free time. Jonghyun had his hands on a Japanese book, maybe a manga and had his eyebrow arched up at me.

“What do you want?” He asked. I glanced at Taemin, signalling him to go to his room. “I understand. Well, I guess this is about her, right? Just update me along with the other hunters, hyung,” Taemin waved his hand before disappearing into the corridors. “So you’ve heard,” he said in a bitter tone.

“Don’t be shy. Sit down, Luhan,” Jonghyun said, patting the empty space beside him and setting his book on the coffee table. I did so and reclined my back, relaxing my nerves. “I heard you’re having a tougher time with your babies,” Jonghyun mockingly said, laughing a bit after saying it.

“They sure act like a pair. Every time they go into a room together, they tend to fight each other. That’s why I keep on telling Kai to take Sehun away and Chen to take Xiumin away,” I told him. I didn’t hold back myself. This was an issue concerning both of us. His sister was the reason why this all happened and my wolves are fighting each other. It’s impossible I don’t do anything.

“Meanwhile, Minseul—I mean Rae, keeps on locking herself in her room. Even Amber can’t get her out,” Jonghyun started. “I’m sure you have your own hypothesis what really happened and the reason behind it,” he looked into my eyes and I nodded. “Of course. What do you expect?” I told him.

“What’s your guess then, wolf?”

“She’s a wolf, isn’t she? And you are too, but the thing was you only inherited these wolf-like traits from an ancestor and seeing how the effect is still strong, it’s from your grandparents or the parents of your grandparents. A wolf can’t mate with a human but sometimes, lust for the flesh is too strong that a wolf cannot wait for his mate and set prey on something else, humans,” I explained.

“Exactly, our deceased grandmother was by a wolf. To be more precise, the wolf is connected with your Kris by blood, way before the Seoul Tragedy obviously,” Jonghyun added. “She and I, we were fated to be wolves but our grandmother thought otherwise and sacrificed her life to seal my and Rae’s powers,” he continued, closing his eyes and relaxing his back on the sofa. “I’m able to control my powers but for some reason, Rae has been clueless of hers. I remembered when eomoni told me about it and to keep it from Rae but now…” A sigh escaped his lips.

“It’s too late isn’t it?” I said as I raised an eyebrow. “Yes, it is. She feels like all her life, she had done wrong. She hunted her own kind. The only people who can talk to her were Mae and Sulli,” Jonghyun added. “Have you tried visiting her?” I asked. “I did, I tried. But she rejected me for the first time. She usually doesn’t,” Jonghyun said bitterly.

I stood up and motioned him to do the same. “Change your clothes. If you can’t talk to her, then no one can really orient her about her powers,” I told him. “But—“ Jonghyun was cut off by my glare then he just nodded, proceeding into his room.

When we arrived at the girls’ dorm, the door was opened by their leader, Victoria. She had her make-up on and seemed to go to her work place already. “Rae, I’m guessing. She’s in her room, Amber is outside, trying to talk to her,” Victoria said before leaving us and hurrying to her car.

Jonghyun led the way and as Victoria said, we saw Amber knocking desperately on Rae’s door. “Ah, Jonghyun!” Amber reacted when she noticed us. “And Luhan,” she almost muttered when she matched gazes with me. She pulled back her blonde hair and raised an eyebrow at my companion. “Took you long enough and I thought you stopped trying. Mae told me she was slowly discovering her powers, aside from the natural strength and speed wolves possess,” she explained, occasionally looking at the door.

“So what’s your guess?” Jonghyun looked at me. I fixed my eyes on the door and my ears became those of a wolf. “She’s crying,” I casually told them. “She has the power of plant manipulation. She’s having a hard time controlling it. I am sure it’s because she can’t take control of her fear. She’s letting the fear consume her,” I said, walking towards the door and making Amber step back.

I placed my palm on the door and it slammed open, exposing Rae on her bed. But that was not all, her room appealed as a jungle. There were vines and stems surrounding her, making a barrier of some sort. There were also flora found by the windows and moss at the ceiling.

Amber covered in utter shock and Jonghyun only stared in disbelief. She seemed to not have noticed our presence and the vines kept on growing with every whimper she released.

“Someone… Someone, help me,” she desperately muffled into her pillow.