Softening Heart

Their Fragile Hearts (Their Powers Sequel)

With the birth of the twins, the whole pack was in a rumble. Chen started trying to find a job, the same goes to his mate. Luhan was assigned to take care of the twins that day. Beside him was Kris who seemed to never like children. Actually, both of them hated children but because MiYeon is one crazy lady, they were forced to do so.

“What if she returns?” Kris said in almost a whisper. Luhan’s lips formed a thin line. “I hope not,” he said. “She might. She’s still alive, wanting vengeance. You know how much her wolf thirsts for blood,” Kris looked at the babies in the crib. Minwoo was cutely on the human doll Chen bought yesterday and Siyeon was holding on the bars of the crib.

“I know,” Luhan gripped on his pants. “I know but the probability of her going back here soon is low. Maybe, while the twins grow…” his voice trailed off. “So you noticed…” Kris looked at the ceiling and smiled. “The twins would be strong wolves someday. They would be perfect for her plans,” he said. “She wanted MiYeon. But she can’t control her so she’ll want the next best thing: the twins,” Luhan explained.

Kris nodded in agreement. “She could control the twins. She could teach them her ways…” Luhan gulped. Kris chuckled for a moment. “Are you… worried?” He asked. Luhan raised an eyebrow. “Are you kidding me? Why would I be worried for someone else than myself?” he said sarcastically. Kris shook his head.

“You’re breaking. You’re breaking, Luhan. You are slowly forming what humans call emotions,” he was obviously amused by his pack mate’s emotional struggle. “What nonsense are you saying?” Luhan asked. Kris shook his head. “Knowing how proud you are of yourself, I know you won’t realize that. Even if you have knowledge, what is it without wisdom?” he said.

Luhan held his head as he remembered his dream. No, it was not just a dream. It was a memory. Maybe Kris was right. He was slowly developing emotions. But of course, he won’t admit that. No, his heart can’t be that sensitive, be that fragile to be influenced by others. Luhan was stronger than that. The tragedy made him to be that strong.

He sighed as he realized what he was thinking about. He blamed Sujin for all of this. But wasn’t he also the one to be blamed? He brought Sujin into the lives of this pack. If it wasn’t for him, they could’ve lived more peacefully and less in fear compared to that time.

“Luhan?”

Luhan widened his eyes for a moment because of shock but he soon recovered from it, turning to whoever was calling him. “Xiumin,” he raised an eyebrow. Xiumin showed a small smile before settling himself beside Luhan. “So how is Rae?” Luhan asked. Xiumin shook his head. “I know that’s not what you were really thinking about so that’s not important. Luhan, how are you?” He emphasized the last word.

“I always wonder how I am. I was never fine,” Luhan answered. “Ever since that incident?” Xiumin felt nostalgic. “Those wolves… murdered. Because of that old man’s insanity,” Luhan said bitterly. “But because of that, we’ve all gathered as a pack,” Xiumin tried to cheer him up. “And joining this pack is the biggest regret I have,” Luhan told him with a smile. Xiumin laughed.

For some reason, Luhan can show another side of him to Xiumin. Maybe because he was a childhood companion. But Luhan was able to smile when he’s with Xiumin. He was sure enough he won’t swing that way. Xiumin had Rae and Luhan kind of had Sujin.

“Uncle!” Siyeon suddenly hugged Luhan from behind, making him shocked. “Appa taught me how to control my powers! Look!” Siyeon formed a ball of electricity in front of Luhan’s face. It had a violent glow and looked so majestic. Xiumin smirked before pointing at the ball of electricity, slowly turning it into ice.

“Woah! Daebak!” Siyeon clapped her hands with a wide smile. “Where’s Minwoo?” Luhan asked. “Eomma is teaching him how to control his powers and use it correctly,” Siyeon answered. Luhan was glad Minwoo wasn’t there or surely, that kid would ask him questions about his relationship with Sujin. And their relationship is something far complex than what a child can understand.

Siyeon hugged Luhan’s head tightly, swinging it from left to right. “You’re in a happy mood? What happened?” Luhan asked. “Jin-seonsaengnim has been absent so all the play time for us!” Siyeon cheered. Luhan almost choked. “Absent?” he asked. Siyeon nodded.

“When seonsaengnim’s boyfriend went to school, he said seonsaengnim was visiting her relatives,” she explained. Relatives? Obviously, Jungkook was lying to the children but it was better this way. The kids wouldn’t think anything out of the ordinary with that. “Come here,” Xiumin patted his lap and Siyeon gladly sat between his legs. Xiumin hugged the child and hummed a little tune.

“You’re so cute, Yeonnie,” Xiumin mused. “I know~”  Siyeon chimed. Luhan shook his head, a smile remaining on his face. What if every day was like this? Worry-free… Luhan could actually feel happy, genuinely happy for once like before.

“When are you going to tell the kids the truth?” Luhan turned to see Tao sitting beside him. “They’re not supposed to know. Their minds are still innocent… compared to how corrupted our minds are. They don’t know how hard it is to be a wolf in this world. People hate you for what you are but you never asked for that hate. You just want to survive,” Luhan answered.

Tao got comfortable on his place. “That’s the price of having oddly powers,” he said as he looked at his hands. “This is what we have ahead of the humans and that comes with a large price. We lived in agony to be more powerful, a leading race,” he added. Luhan looked away.

“But all we really wanted was acceptance.”

---

A/N

I haven't been talking to you guys for so long. Er, in case you forgot, my name's Apple and I wrote Their Powers and this one, Their Fragile Hearts. As you've noticed, I've been updating this one and this is the only one I've been updating repeatedly in one week. The reason is that I wanted to finish all my fics one at a time. And I've figured I'll finish this first. For those who also read The New Composer, I think there will be a second season after I finish all my fics. 

Anyways, the next chapter would be a bit longer than the other ones. You've noticed how fond I am with flasbacks and well, the next one would have all of the vampires' pasts in their so I hope you look forward to it. Thank you for the support since you're all my driving forces to keep on writing. What else to say? Ah yes, unlike other writers, I like comments better. I mean, at least I know you're there. I want to get to know you guys yeah