Stay Away

Their Fragile Hearts (Their Powers Sequel)

Luhan’s POV

I looked up and fixed my eyes on the moon. It was full. It reminded me of the past, the past I should forget but I can’t. Luckily, it wasn’t anything near red. It was a bright shade of clean white with grey spots as usual. I was alone on the roof of the building. Rae wasn’t around to train so I kept this roof all to myself.

I took a deep breath and stretched my back that was lying against the cold roof. “She looked so worried for them. She really treats them like family though they’re vampires…” I turned to my side, putting my elbow under my head. “Well, she doesn’t know anything behind the scenes. She doesn’t know we’re wolves and the people she lives with are vampires. She is so clueless.”

“But that’s how Lee Soo Man would want it right?”

I immediately sat up and saw one member of f(x) already behind me. “You’re easy to target if you put your guard down… Luhan-ssi,” she told me, still grasping on the pistol which was stuck in one of her belt pockets. “Don’t worry. I can’t hurt you,” I told her.

“That’s it. You can’t, not meaning you won’t.”

“You don’t have trust in wolves, do you?”

She avoided my gaze and silently sat beside me. “Nothing bad about wanting to survive, right?” She said with a monotone voice. I’ve never really talked to her before since Amber does all the talking and sometimes, Victoria and Krystal too. Luna was comfortable around us wolves since we discovered she was one of us. But the funny thing about it is that her parents were killed by her pack hence she sided with the hunters.

Sulli was never one to talk to me. She was silent and was only looking out for her members’ backs. She didn’t look like she cared about any wolf aside from Luna and Mae. And she only wanted security… safety from being killed in the hands of wolves. That’s why I was so confused when I saw her.

“I know all about your battle. We were there but we were quiet while we went through the forest. We saw everything that happened but chose to keep quiet about it,” she said, not giving me a glance. “And how does this affect me?” I asked. “It does. We were awake when all of you were asleep. We saw how they disappeared and I had a clue what the wolf was trying to do,” she answered.

I scrunched up my forehead. “What?” I asked. “Only someone of the same power can cancel out the power of another. That was what we learned during our training. Sometimes, powers aren’t that easy to cancel so it has a higher price. It needs a higher level of energy. The same goes for the sealing of the memory. And that was what Lee Soo Man knew. He knew the price.”

“But he knew what he needs to do to preserve peace in this place for a longer period. Hence, he first erased his other niece’s memory, I am sure of that, and he sealed her power. He did the same for Sujin, I think. But the energy he had was too little and Sujin’s power was out of control. The only way to seal her powers completely for a longer time period and to have her clueless of herself as a wolf is to…” Her voice trailed away.

“Sacrifice his own life, am I right?” I raised an eyebrow. She slowly nodded. “It was a foolish yet smart thing to do. He had no other choice. It was either he could live and Sujin could destroy him along with the whole country or him dying and Sujin being clueless of everything,” she explained.

“Then how did she even…”

“Get involved with those vampires? I have no clue whatsoever. It seemed like this ‘father’ she keeps on mentioning picked her up and he was also raising those vampires. He knows of Sujin’s power and plans to make use of it soon,” she held her chin. The moonlight perfectly reflected on her pale skin. I could mistake her as a vampire too if I didn’t know she was human.

“So what do I have to do?” I asked. “Avoid her at all costs,” she said urgently. “It would only remind her of so much. Transfer the children to another school. Siyeon reminds her of MiYeon-ssi, the wolf who unlocked her powers for the first time. Minwoo reminds her of Chen-ssi, the wolf who treated her gently. It’s better if she doesn’t remember anything,” and then she suddenly turned to me.

“Sorry, Luhan-ssi, but the best way for all of us to be safe is for you to avoid your own mate.”

I didn’t know why but I felt hurt. Avoid my mate? I lived all these years without a mate and I only knew she was my mate when she almost killed my pack. It was easy but at the same time, after seeing her again, it felt harder. “But I understand if you can’t do it. Just control her like how Chen-ssi can sometimes control MiYeon-ssi. It’s a communication thing between mates. I could never understand,” she shook her head.

“I guess I have to go,” she suddenly stood up. I noticed how tall she was for a woman. She really looks like the model she is. She had modelling as her day job. Unlike SHINee, f(x) had day jobs and didn’t plan to train more since they’re the top group and the only female group to be recognized as such.

“It was refreshing talking to another wolf aside from Luna-eonni,” she told me. I stood up and looking down on her, I said,” It was refreshing to have all of that information forced into my head.” “Just remember what I told you. If you want safety, stay away from her. It’s for the best,” she then bowed and ran to the edge of the roof and jumped from tree to tree with wolf-like speed.

I watched her carefully and when she was gone, I sighed.

How can you stay away from your mate? Like MiYeon said, destiny makes ways for mates to meet. I can’t avoid her. I have to control her somehow.