Chapter 24

Different Destinies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun made a loud screech as he shifted his chair closer to Suho’s using his legs, “So you’re saying that Bang Haeri-ssi – the one we met in the café other day – is actually your girlfriend?” he asked the same question for the fourth time and got a firm nod as an answer. “That Jung Daehyun’s girl?” “Not his, she’s my girl,’ Suho roared, causing few heads in the tent to turn.   

 

“Yeah, right, your girl,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “but how did you even agree to that? Are you crazy? This is Jung Daehyun we’re talking about; he could even woo her if he wants,” Suho just snickered at his dongsaeng’s worries and shook his head, “She’s not like that, she’s just a loyal friend, that’s all. And that’s her charm - every person in her life has a certain value. It makes me fall for her even more.” While talking about Haeri, Suho had that dreamy smile, his eyes turning into crescents.

 

The way Suho adored her, Baekhyun could see through his eyes. It had been so long since Baekhyun saw his hyung smiling like that, or let alone, talking about a girl for this long, and he was happy for him. “The hard life of a single man...,” Baekhyun muttered as he leaned back to his chair, gulping down the remaining drink from his glass after heaving a dramatic sigh.

 

The male propped his elbows on the table as an evident frown made its way onto his face, “But hyung, did you tell about this marriage matter?” Suho put his glass on table as he stared directly at Baekhyun’s eyes, “I don’t want her to know anything about this, or she... she’d get mad at me.”

 

Baekhyun scoffed, “It's such a lame excuse, hyung. Think about how she would feel if she hears this from others and not you.” Suho shook his head, waving his hands, “She’s... understanding.”

 

“Then you tell her if she’s really that understanding as you say,” Baekhyun piped again.

 

Suho broke the eye contact, and Baekhyun saw how a flicker of hesitation appeared in Suho’s eyes, “What is it, hyung? Is there anything wrong between you two?” Baekhyun asked out of pure concern, “Never once did you introduce her to us – your brothers – nor did you ever mention her name before us. Is there anything you’re hiding?”

 

It’s been so long since that incident came in his mind, and now that he thought about it, it seemed as if the incident occurred on the previous day. Clamping his eyes tightly, he spoke, “Do you remember the accident I told about? She’s that…” He didn’t even need to complete his sentence, as Baekhyun’s shocked face and widened eyes told Suho that he knew what the other half of the sentence was.

 

“How… why- how is that possible...?”      

 

There was a dim light in the room. The sun set long ago, but the table lamp on the beside table was still on. Taking careful steps, he made his way to that particular table, only to see the person he had been looking for sleeping peacefully with a half-opened mouth, drooling on the paper placed on the desk.

 

Shaking his head, he quickly went to clean the couch inside the room and returned back to get that person in his arms. His movements were so calculative and careful, in order not to wake her up. He was moving as if fine china was on his hands, and it would break in two if it slipped off. But what he had always wanted to hold in his arms had indeed slipped away all too soon.

 

As soon as he settled her down on the couch, the latter moved as if she was seeking for comfort the whole time. He his hands into his pockets, letting out a tired sigh before walking away.

 

Going back to the table, he started to clean up the mess which was created in the whole room. There were papers thrown everywhere, many of them were crumbled – so he grouped them into a separate file, in case there was something important. He wondered exactly how long had she been working on those pieces, since they were so many.

 

 

Haeri stirred in her sleep, as her body moved on the soft thing. Wait a minute, soft thing? She didn’t remember going home, and she certainly didn’t have a habit of sleep-walking, unless…

 

Her eyes shot open as she searched for the presence of another person, but her bright expression fell when she saw that the person on the chair was not who she'd wanted and expected him to be. 

 

“Daehyun? What are you doing here?” The said man looked up from the papers he was looking at. Even her hoarse voice is so melodious, he thought silently, as he stared at her sleepy face. The drool was on the area below , but she still looked liked the prettiest thing on earth to him.

 

“Did you sleep well?” he asked back, completely ignoring the question he was asked not a long time ago.

 

She smiled before nodding twice, “I had such a nice dream,” she clapped her hands in excitement, “I won in the competition,” she sighed as she faced him, “I want to win that competition at any cost Daehyun, it’s literally my dream.”

 

“And you’ll win that competition Haeri, I believe you,” he got up from the chair, with two cups of coffee in his hands. He passed one to her as he sat beside her. “Waah, hot coffee in cold weather, when did you buy this?” she breathed the coffee before taking one sip from the cup, feeling and enjoying the warmth of the coffee.

 

“When I came here…?” he sort of said that in questioning tone, knowing well that she wasn’t ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter