Promises, Jealousy, and Lists

The List

    "Dude." Himchan's voice stopped Yongguk from slamming the door behind himself in his haste.
    "What?" Yongguk snapped, turning back to look at the boy lounging on the couch.
    "Pants, Dude." Himchan pointed down to Yongguk's bottoms. Yongguk looked down, seeing that he was still in his pajama bottoms.
    He groaned and slammed the door shut again, darting back into his room. He pulled a pair of mostly clean jeans from a pile on the floor and changed his pants. 
    "Are you really in that much of a hurry to get back to the hospital again?" Himchan's voice called from the doorway.
    Yongguk looked up to see him leaning against the doorframe, bowl of ice cream in his hands and a spoon hanging from his mouth. 
    "So what if I am?" Yongguk snapped, pulling his belt tight and sliding the metal hook in to place.
    "This is like...the fourth time you've been this week. And last week you went six times." Himchan pointed out.
    Yongguk stared at him, not speaking. Yongguk watched Himchan with a blank expression. After a while, Himchan sighed and shook his head. Walking away, he shoved his spoon back into his bowl and shoveled more ice cream into his mouth. Yongguk followed him back down the hallway, watching him flop down on the couch.
    "I don't have to go today." Himchan told him. "Jongup is in solitary confinement or some so Doctor Choi told me I could just stay home."
    "Whatever." Yongguk muttered, shoving his backpack onto his back. "I'm borrowing your bike."
    Before Himchan could protest, Yongguk had grabbed the keys and slammed the door shut behind him. He chuckled, tossing the keys up into the air and catching them. He rarely got a chance to drive Himchan's motorbike, since the younger man was very possessive over it.    
    A shiny blue moterbike sat beside Yongguk's car in the parking lot. A smooth black helmet perched on the back seat. Yongguk shoved it onto his head, fixing the strap into place, and mounted the bike. He his lips as he pushed the key into the engine and twisted
    The machine roared to life and Yongguk smiled, driving as  fast as he could to the hospital. He'd promised Zelo that he'd come today and watch movies with him. Inside his backpack, he had packed nearly every movie he owned that was age appropriate, and some packs of poprcorn.    
    The nurses greeted him when he got to the hospital, waving shyly. He gave them a polite smile and continued up hallway to the elevator.    
    Yongguk tapped his foot, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. The elevator seemed to be taking forever to move, though he only had to go up a few floors. The moment the doors opened, he rushed forward. Only a few steps out of the elevator, he was stopped. 
    "Hey, Criminal." Youngjae stood in front of Yongguk with a sour expression on his face. 
    "I'm busy." Yongguk responded, shifting his bag onto his other shoulder.
    He moved to walk past the younger boy and go to Zelo's room, but Youngjae barred his way, stepping in front of him. Yongguk moved to go the other direction, but again Youngjae stepped in front of him. The younger would not let him pass.
    "Is there something you want?" Yongguk glared down at the boy, a low growl rumbling in his chest.
    Youngjae didn't flinch from his harsh glare. Instead, he returned it with one of his own.
    "Actually, yeah. I want to talk to you for a minute, Criminal." He spat the name.
    Yongguk's jaw set at the insulting phrase,  but he said nothing. He crossed his arms over his chest.
    "I've got somewhere to be right now, so can it wait?" He asked, knowing that the younger boy wouldn't let him pass until he'd said his peace, whatever that may be. Yongguk just didn't want to hear it; Zelo was waiting on him.
    "Why do you  spend so much time with him?" Youngjae asked suddenly. 
    Yongguk's eyebrow rose. "Does it matter?"
    "Yes." Youngjae responded within seconds. "Of course it matters. How could it not matter?"
    "I don't have to defend myself to you." Yongguk responded.
    Yongguk shoved into Youngjae's shoulder, pushing past him. Youngjae fell back a step, but turned around and grabbed Yongguk by the wrist before he could walk away.
    "I'm not saying this because I dislike you or anything, even though I do." Youngjae said. "I'm doing this because I love Zelo, and I don't want to see him getting hurt anymore."
    "And you think I'm going to hurt him? By spending time with him." Yongguk scoffed, pulling his hand away from Youngjae's grasp.
    "He gets attached easily." Youngjae rubbed his hands on his pants and shoved them in his pockets, looking away from Yongguk. "I just want to make sure you understand. Don't confuse him."
    Yongguk stood silent for a while before his lips turned up into a smile. He chuckled, scratching his nose with the back of his hand. "You're jealous, aren't you?"
    Youngjae stood silent, frowning at the older man. "Don't hurt him. That's all I'm saying. He's been through enough. He doesn't need an like you playing with his feelings."
    With those words, Youngjae turned around and walked off. Yongguk shook his head. He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He'd run into Youngjae a few times in the past two weeks, but the younger boy had almost always ignored him. Yongguk hadn't minded the boy glaring at him as they walked past each other, but for some reason, he was bothered by what the boy had said.
    When he walked into Zelo's room, the boy was nowhere to be found. Yongguk could hear the sound of the shower running, however, and smiled. 
    "He must be bathing." He muttered to himself.
    Yongguk dropped his bag down on the bed and ped it. He might as well pull out some of the movies so Zelo could pick which one they wanted to watch when he came back in the room.    
    He pulled out his Laptop and some of his DVDs.  He stacked some of his favorites next to the laptop and decided to pull out a few more just so Zelo would have a fair choice.    
    Yongguk looked around the room. He hadn't really ever had much of a chance to just look at the place before. This was the room Zelo had been living in for the past two years. His things were packed into a small dresser in the room, a skateboard leaning against it. 
    Beside his laptop, Yongguk found one of Zelo's notebooks. Zelo always kept his notebooks close to himself and never ever let Yongguk peek inside. The more Zelo had guarded the book, the more Yongguk found himself wanting to know what was inside. He picked it up.
    Yongguk held it in his hand for a while, looking at the cover. In big English letters, printed on the front, was 'Zelo' and it made Yongguk smile.
    His finger thumbed over the name. He hesitated, looking at the bathroom door. Knowing he shouldn't look inside tore at his insides. Yongguk had never cared about things like this before. Just three weeks ago, he wouldn't have thought twice about invading the boy's privacy and opening the book.
    Still, his curiosity won out over his conscience and he flipped the book open. He skimmed a few pages, reading a line or two here and there. Some of it was rhymes, Zelo's attempts at rapping. Yongguk paused and read some of them, impressed.
    It took a moment to realize that this book was something of a diary. He frowned when he realized this. Diaries were extremely private. These pages held all of Zelo's deepest thoughts and Yongguk's stomach wouldn't settle. 
    He quickly flipped the book shut, one of the pages falling loose and drifting beneath the bed. Yongguk cursed and knelt down to pick it up.
    He wanted to put it away without reading it, but the words at the top of the page caught his attention. 'Things I want to do before I die.'
    Yongguk blinked and reread the sentence. He read it three or four times before the words actually registered in his mind. This was a bucket list. Zelo's bucket list. 
    Yongguk his lips, his eyes darting to the bathroom door. He could still hear the water running and looked back down at the page. 
    Numbers were written down one side of the page. Some of the items were scratched out and rewritten. Yongguk read each one of them in turn. 
    1) Ride a Ferris wheel
    2) experience flying
    3) go camping
    4) name a star
    5) learn to rollerblade
    6) drive a car
    7) See the city from the tallest building
    8) Have my first kiss
    9) Fall in love
    10)

    Yongguk reread the list, his lips turning up into a small smile. The items on the list were so simple. Such easy things to accomplish. Number ten hadn't even been written in yet, though the spot looked like whatever had been there had been erased and rewritten a few times.
    A sudden silence alerted Yongguk to the impending danger of being caught. The shower had stopped. Thinking quickly, Yongguk pulled out his phone and snapped a picture of the list.
    He replaced the page and put the notebook back exactly like he'd found it before turning back to his laptop. When Zelo walked out of the bathroom, Yongguk was kneeling by the socket, plugging the computer in.
    "Hyung." Zelo smiled, towel still in his hair.
    Yongguk looked up at him and returned the smile. Standing up, he tugged Zelo over to the bed and sat him down on it. 
    "I brought a bunch of movies. Pick one." He told the younger kid, taking the towel from him.
    Yongguk gently rubbed the towel through Zelo's hair while the younger boy looked through the pile of movies. He e over and read the back of it before pouting and placing it to the side.
    "I like this one, Hyung." He finally said as Yongguk pulled the towel away from  his dry hair.
    Yongguk took the movie from him. "Arra." He nodded and handed it back, approving of the kid's choice. "You put it in. I'm going to go microwave some popcorn.
    Zelo grinned from ear to ear and nodded his head, curls flying everywhere. Yongguk pulled the bag of popcorn out of his sack and left the room. He passed by the nurse's station and nodded at the lady sitting at the desk. She returned with a small smile.
    The doctor's lounge was empty when he walked in. He put the popcorn in the microwave and set it going. Waiting, he looked around the room. He smiled when he saw the drink machine and reached into his pocket. Zelo would enjoy a soda with his popcorn.
    By the time both the cans of soda fell from the machine, the popcorn was ready. He juggled both the cans and the hot bag and walked back to the hospital room.
    Zelo was sitting on the bed, waiting for him to return with the smile still in place. 
    "I got sodas." Yongguk held up one of the cans.
    He settled onto the bed next to Zelo, leaning against the headboard so that their arms touched. Zelo pulled the table around in front of them, the movie already set up and ready to go.
    They watched four movies in a row. Yongguk didn't even remember what movies they'd watched when it was over. They finished their popcorn within the first several minutes of the first movie. 
    Zelo fell asleep halfway through the fourth. Yongguk had been so into the movie, he didn't even know Zelo had fallen asleep until he felt the younger's head on his shoudler.
    He looked over, glancing down at Zelo. He chuckled, a face full of blonde curls.  He rested his head on top of Zelo's and finished watching the movie by himself. 
    He shut the laptop when the movie ended, but made no attempts to move. Zelo's head still rested on his shoulder and the younger boy's hand had fallen into his lap. Yongguk glanced at him once more.
    He sat there, letting Zelo sleep, he wasn't sure how long. His arm ached a bit, but he couldn't bring himself to move. Zelo looked so peaceful in his sleep, Yongguk  couldn't bring himself to disturb the younger.
    When Zelo finally woke up, he jumped awake, nearly falling off the bed. Yongguk grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back up onto the bed, laughing.
    Zelo's cheeks turned pink and he pulled his arm away from Yongguk. "Thanks.." He muttered.
    Yongguk nodded, pulling himself up out of the bed and stretching. He glanced back down at Zelo, who was now sitting in the middle of the bed, chewing his lip. Yongguk his lips, turning around suddenly to avoid Zelo's gaze. Youngjae's words registered in his mind once more.
    "Zelo..." He spoke softly after a while. "Do you...like Youngjae?" He asked. It hadn't been the question he'd wanted to ask, but it was the one that came out.
    "He's my best friend."Zelo responded. Yongguk busied himself with putting his Dvd's back in their cases. Zelo watched, head tilted, studying Yongguk. "Did something happen?"
    "Not really." Yongguk shrugged, trying not to make a big deal out of the whole thing. "He really doesn't like me."
    "Because he thinks you're cooler than him, Hyung."
    Yongguk turned to look at Zelo, an expression of mock offense on his face. "Thinks? Of course I'm cooler than him!" He pouted. "Zelo...don't you think Hyung is the coolest?"
    Zelo laughed, nodding. "Deh, Hyung! You're the coolest."
    Yongguk chuckled at how silly they were being. His heart felt light. It had been so long since Yongguk had been able to act childish and free the way he could with Zelo. 
    Zelo crawled to the edge of the bed and looked at Yongguk for a moment, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. "You don't hate Youngjae Hyung, do you?"
    Yongguk looked down at Zelo. He didn't really know how to answer that question. Youngjae had no respect and constantly insulted Yongguk. He didn't have a single reason to like the boy.
    "It's not his fault..." Zelo spoke again, his voice soft. "He's not a bad person...he's just scared."
    Yongguk didn't say anything. He sat himself back down on the bed beside Zelo, watching him. He could tell by Zelo's expression that the kid had something he wanted to tell him.
    "Ever since I was a baby." Zelo started, playing with his finger. "Youngjae hyung has taken care of me."
    "You've known him since you were little?" Yongguk asked, not surprised.
    Zelo nodded. "Appa had died before I was born and Umma is always working to support us and pay all the hospital bills. Youngjae's Umma would always watch Hyung and I while Umma was working. So I grew up with Youngjae."
    Yongguk was silent for a while, and Zelo didn't say anything more for a long time either. 
    "He said something to you in the hall, didn't he?" Zelo peeked out of the corner of his eye at Yongguk as he asked. "When you got here..he was just leaving, wasn't he?"
    Yongguk nodded, not saying anything else. Zelo sighed, pulling his knees up and resting his chin on them.
    "Please don't take what he say too seriously. He's just being over-protective." Zelo muttered.
    "He doesn't want me to confuse you." Yongguk finally spoke, a hint of amusement in his voice. "He thinks that I'm making you think I'm in love with you and that I'm going to break your heart."
    Zelo laughed at this, and it made Yongguk chuckle a little bit though he had a vague unsettling feeling in his stomach.
    "Ani, Hyung." Zelo told him. "You're not even my type!"
    Yongguk stared at Zelo, mouth agape and eyes wide. "Why...I'm everybody's type!" He pouted. "I'm y, I'm cool.."
    Zelo chuckled. "Hyung...you look like a thug."
    Yongguk wrinkled his nose and looked down at his clothing. He wore some dirty jeans and a black tank top beneath a black hoodie. "Well...I guess I can't deny that."
    "Are you in a gang?" Zelo asked suddenly, causing Yongguk to look back up with an expression of confusion.
    He shook his head. "No! Of course not!"
    Zelo stuck his tongue out at Yongguk, which caused the older boy to lunge for him. Yongguk tackled Zelo onto the bed and pinned him down, tickling him until Zelo was squealing and screaming for him to stop.
    Yongguk finally pulled up, leaving Zelo a gasping mess on the bed. Yongguk's lips were turned up into a gummy smile as he stepped back and leaned against the bed. 
    When Zelo finally looked up at him, the boy's hair was a mess and his cheeks painted a bright red. He was pouting, which Yongguk thought was adorable and made the already young kid appear even younger. 
    "Zelo.." Yongguk spoke up, the playful atmosphere turning serious once again. "What happened to your father?"
    Zelo's smile faded. He looked away from Yongguk, down at the floor. "Same thing that's happening to me."
    "He had it too, then? You got it from him?" Yongguk asked, stepping forward. 
    Zelo nodded, lacing his fingers together. "Umma didn't even know he was sick. One day, she said he just got a headache and went to bed early and just...never woke back up."
    Yongguk didn't respond. He didn't know what to say. Zelo staid silent for a long time after that as well, until he finally spoke again.
    "I hope I go the same way.." He muttered, turning to look out the window  at the clouds passing by the window. "In my sleep."
    "Zelo..." Yongguk whispered the boy's name, reaching out and putting a hand on Zelo's shoulder. 
    Zelo turned back to look at Yongguk with a soft smile on his face. He changed the subject again. "Don't hate Youngjae Hyung. He's just scared. Weren't you scared when your Umma was sick? Can't you relate, Hyung?"
    Yongguk nodded, reached up to run his fingers through Zelo's hair. "I know, Zelo-ah.." He gave the boy a smile. "I know exactly how he feels, so I can't blame him."
    Zelo gave Yongguk a soft smile, reaching up and pulling the older man's hand from his hair. "Hyung, will you promise me something?"
    "What's that?" Yongguk asked, cocking his head curiously as he watched Zelo play with his fingers. Zelo's hand was soft, his long fingers cold against Yongguk's naturally warm skin.
    "Promise me before I tell you?" Zelo asked.
    Yongguk chuckled, nodding his head. "Okay, whatever. I promise."
    Zelo smiled. "No matter what, you've got to stay by my side, okay? Even if you don't like my friends or get bored of being nice to me..."
    A worried expression took over Yongguk's curious one. "What are you talking about, Zelo? I told you, we're friends now."
    Zelo nodded. "I know, Hyung. I just...I feel better when you're around, Hyung."
    Yongguk smiled softly, warmth gathering in his chest. He turned his hand over and gave Zelo's a little squeeze. "I spend time with you because I want to, Zelo. That's not going to change no matter how many times your friend tells me to leave you alone."
    Zelo's childish, dimpled smile returned to his face and he finally pulled his hand away from Yongguk's. "Thank you, Hyung."
    Yongguk chuckled, leaning over to ruffle Zelo's hair. "And you have to deal with me, because I'm going to come bother you every single day until you're begging me to leave you alone."
    Zelo's eyes twinkled and Yongguk paused, looking away and chuckling softly. 
    "Hyung..." Zelo whined, pulling himself up off the bed and tugging on Yongguk's arm. "Hyung, let's go get ice cream!"
    Yongguk shook his head, rolling his eyes. "Arra.." He stood up, wrapping his arm around Zelo's shoulders and leading him out of the hospital room towards the cafeteria.