Promise Me

The List

  Yongguk pushed past the hospital doors and out into the cool night air. The sun had just set on the horizon, the sky turning a darker shade of blue. Even a few stars twinkled in the sky, and Yongguk smiled. Today had been a lot of fun, rapping and goofing around with Zelo.

Heading towards his car, he paused when he saw Youngjae walking towards him. The younger boy limped slightly, jacket slung over his shoulder. The strap on his bag hung limp, dragging behind him.

“What happened to you?” Yongguk asked the moment Youngjae stood in front of him.

Youngjae shrugged, glaring up at Yongguk. “None of your concern. I'm late.”

Yongguk stopped Youngjae as the younger tried to push past him. He grabbed the boy's shoulder, ignoring his flinch.

“Let's talk for a minute.” His voice had a dangerous tone to it, something that told Youngjae he had no choice but to listen to the elder.

He dropped his head and gave a heavy sigh, allowing Yongguk to lead him away from the doors of the hospital.

“What is it, then?” He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Yongguk lowered his most serious expression on Youngjae, the corner of his mouth twitching as he mirrored the younger's boy's stance. It seemed strange how both of them could be standing the exact same way yet one of them seem cocky while the other seemed dangerous.

“I want you to stop this.” He told Youngjae. “Your feelings for Zelo. Stop them.”

Youngjae lifted an eyebrow. “What is this?”

Yongguk sighed again. “It's exactly what I said.”

Youngjae let out a small laugh. “Are you getting jealous now or something? He's already picked you, so why all this?”

Yongguk closed his eyes for a moment, lips tightening into a thin line. “This isn't about me. It's about Zelo.” He spoke, his voice stiff and measured. “Your feelings are a burden on him.”

Youngjae paused for a moment, taken aback by Yongguk's blunt comment. “I..what?”

Yongguk sighed, running a hand through his hair. He hadn't had it cut in a while and it was growing long, falling into his eyes now. “Can't you just find someone else to like? Isn't there anyone else?”

Youngjae kept silent for a long moment, his eyes trembling as he stared at Yongguk. With a low voice, so softly that Yongguk had to strain to hear what he was saying, Youngjae spoke.

“There is no one else.”

“What?”

Youngjae looked up at Yongguk defiantly, his eyes blazing with anger. His fingers curled into fists at his sides. “There isn't anyone else, don't you get that?!” His voice rose, nearly a yell. “No one cares about me! No one will ever care about me! Caring about Zelo is all I've got.” Youngjae's voice trailed off.

“That's not true.” Yongguk spoke, his voice soft. Youngjae shot a glare up at him. He continued to speak, thinking carefully about his words. “You're not a horrible person, Youngjae. There are people who like you.”

“Name one.” Youngjae shot back, shutting Yongguk up. The older man chewed his tongue. Though he had an answer for this demand, he hesitated to speak it. He knew that Daehyun would not want him to spill such important information to Youngjae. Plus, it wasn't his secret to tell.

“If there was someone, though.” Yongguk tried again. “If someone did like you, would you then forget your feelings for Zelo?”

Youngjae shook his head, arms crossing over his chest again. “Not gonna happen.”

“You'll reject anyone else just for a chance to be with someone who doesn't care for you in return?” Yongguk asked, though he attempted to sound judgemental, his voice lacked any conviction.

“I wouldn't be the first one to do it, but that's not what I'm saying.” Youngjae responded.

“Then tell me what you mean?” Yongguk coaxed him. “Because something has got to change.”

“Why?” Youngjae asked, his eyes narrowing as he looked at Yongguk. “What's wrong with me caring about Zelo? What's wrong with trying to take care of and protect someone important to me?”

“Nothing's wrong with it.” Yongguk spoke. He tugged at his hair, groaning in frustration. “But haven't you thought about the way Zelo feels?” Yongguk frowned, finding a strange familiarity in these words and this situation.

“The way Zelo feel's?” Youngjae frowned once more. “Why should it bother him?”

“Because you're his best friend, for one thing. Don't you think he feels guilty knowing how you feel and not being able to return those feelings?” Yongguk leaned against the wall, pulling a soda from his bag. He popped the top and took a gulp of it while he tried to gather his thoughts again. “And the fact that you refuse to move on? None of us want to think about it, but Zelo isn't going to be here forever...how do you think he feels when he thinks of how you feel towards him?”

Youngjae shrugged, suddenly silent. Yongguk stopped speaking as well, letting Youngjae's thoughts stir in his head for a while. He finished the soda in silence and crushed the can, tossing it on the ground.

Youngjae picked it up and tossed it in the trash bin. “Don't throw crap on the ground when there's a bin nearby. What kind of an animal are you?”

Yongguk chuckled softly at the response. He shook his head, getting back to the original conversation. “Can you just...try to move on?” He asked. “I know if you looked, you'll find someone else who cares for you. Just...stop burdening Zelo with your feelings.”

Youngjae's frown slipped back on to his face again. “My feelings aren't a burden to him.” He spoke, his voice dark. “And there isn't anyone else. So just stop trying. Everyone already knows what's going on between you two. You don't have to try so hard to get me out of the picture.”

“That's not..” Yongguk sighed. “That's not what I'm doing..”

Youngjae pushed himself off the wall and began to walk away. “I'm not a threat to you or Zelo, so I'll go on liking him in silence. Just...leave me alone from now on, Yongguk. Just because Zelo likes you doesn't mean that I have to. Talking to you is just...it's tiring.”

Yongguk stood in stunned silence as he watched Youngjae walk away, disappearing into the hospital. He threw a silent curse into the wind and walked back to his car, turning around to glance up at Zelo's hospital room, the light still shining brightly through the little window.

He slammed the door on his car and sped the rest of the way home. Upon entering the door, he stormed straight to the fridge and grabbed a can of beer.

“Woah.” Himchan flipped around on the couch, peering at him over the back of it. “What's got under your skin?”

“Youngjae, that stupid little..” His curse was cut off with another long swig of the bitter liquid.

Himchan rolled his eyes. “What did he do this time?”

Yongguk finished off the beer and turned around to open another one, taking it to the couch. He plopped down next to Himchan, growling when the younger stole a sip of his beer and put the can back into his hand.

“He's an absolute jerk, what else?” Yongguk frowned, shoving the beer back in Himchan's hand. He didn't want it after the other's mouth had been on it.

Himchan rolled his eyes. “He's not that bad, Yongguk. You're just being hard on him because of Zelo.”

“And why shouldn't I?” Yongguk snapped. “It's like I'm the only person who actually cares about how Zelo feels in this whole thing!”

Again, Himchan rolled his eyes. “Yeah, Yongguk, because you're the only one who's selfless.”

Yongguk glared at him. “At least I'm trying.”

Himchan sipped the beer, turning down the volume on the television. Obviously, this was going to be a long conversation, he assumed. “Yongguk, they've all known each other practically since they were born. You're just some guy who came in and made a kid smile for a few months in his life. Just let them settle this between themselves.”

“I can't do that, Channie!” Yongguk threw himself off the couch in exasperation.

“Why not, Yongguk?” Himchan asked, looking at him seriously. “We've only got two more weeks at the hospital for the program. Then what are you going to do? Just let them be. It'll be better for everyone.”

“How will it be better?” Yongguk snapped. “Nothing got better until I met Zelo, Himchan. I've been itching for a hit for a month and it's thinking about Zelo that keeps me from it. The kid won't eat without me. He needs me.”

“You need him..” Himchan sighed, standing up. He placed his hands on Yongguk's shoulders, stopping the older from pacing around the room. Himchan looked up at Yongguk with a sad expression on his face, then suddenly pulled the elder into a hug, resting his face against Yongguk's neck. “I worry about you, Gukkie..”

“Channie?” Yongguk sighed, wrapping his arms around his best friend.

Himchan's voice faltered, suddenly sounding weak. “Don't you remember what you were like when your mother died?” He asked, tightening his grip on the elder. “I don't want to see you like that again.”

“It'll be fine, Channie.” Yongguk mumbled comforting words to his friend. “I just...I can't..”

“I know.” Himchan muttered, pulling away from Yongguk's arms. He looked up at his friend with a sad smile on his face, the hint of tears b in his eyes. “You're too much like your mother, aren't you? You try to hide it, but you really do care too much sometimes.”

Yongguk chuckled. “Yah..don't get all mushy on me..” He lightly pushed Himchan's shoulder, causing them both to laugh and lightening up the mood between them.

Himchan rested his forehead against Yongguk's shoulder again, hitting him lightly in the chest. “Just...Just don't get lost again, ok? Promise me?”

Yongguk nodded, once again wrapping his arms around Himchan. “I promise you, Himchan. Nothing bad is going to happen.” He pulled the younger away and looked into his eyes. “You trust me, don't you?”

With a small nod from the younger, Yongguk tipped his head down and pressed a small kiss to his friend's forehead. “Good boy.” He whispered. “Good.”

Himchan giggled, pushing himself away and grabbing the rest of the beer to finish off. “I'm going to the store.” He hiccupped. “We need more beer!”

Yongguk's expression twisted into a grin, all teeth and gums. “Arra...but be careful. Grab some snack while you're there too.”

Himchan gave a nod, shoving on his shoes and walking out the door with a grin and his wallet. Yongguk fell down onto the couch again, his expression falling and a deep sigh leaving him. His eyes closed and his mind wandered once more back to Zelo and to the words he'd said.

“I just don't want you to die...” He muttered to himself, falling onto his side and curling up on the couch with a soft whimper. He fell asleep before Himchan made it home.