Happy Birthday

The List

  Yongguk found the party already in full swing when he walked in. Held in the lounge so that the gathering could be somewhat private, the boys had everything they needed. Zelo sat at a table surrounded by presents and a large cake. Daehyun and Youngjae sat arguing between themselves nearby. Even Jongup and Himchan had been there, sitting off to the side, Himchan looked over to smile at Yongguk before returning to what looked like a serious conversation. Dr. Kwon and Dr. Choi leaned against a table, sipping on some sodas while laughing and supervising the entire thing.

Yongguk pulled his jacket up around himself, catching Dr. Kwon's eye. He looked away, and down at his feet before his gaze found Zelo's. The blonde boy looked up at him, smiling from ear to ear.

“Hyung! You came!” He jumped up from his seat and dragged his IV pole over to the older man to wrap his arms around him.

Yongguk pouted, tapping the pole. “They've got you hooked up to this on your birthday?”

Zelo shrugged, pulling Yongguk over to the table. “It's just until the medicine stops and then I don't have to have it the rest of the day...at least they let me out of the room, as long as the doctor is here.” He pointed to Dr. Kwon, who gave another knowing smile to Yongguk before turning back to his own lover.

Yongguk sat on the chair beside Zelo and smiled at the boy. He couldn't imagine that just yesterday he was afraid that he'd never get to see the boy smile like this ever again. Zelo spoke animatedly to him about something. He didn't pay attention to what. Nodding every now and then at what the boy was saying.

“Hyung?” He finally got pulled from his thoughts by Zelo's voice and a poking at his shoudler.

“Huh..uh..what?” He shook his head, clearing it out before looking at the boy pouting at him. “What is it, Zelo?”

“Himchan Hyung suggested we play a game...do you want to play with us, Hyung?” Zelo's pout shifted into a smile and he clapped his hands together, looking at the older boy expectantly.

Yongguk chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. “I don't see why not...what game do you guys want to play?”

After a few long minutes of arguing and decided on a board game, all of them settled around the table and began to play. Three games later, the table was a mess of pieces, both doctors were arguing about which one was cheating, Youngjae had been kicked out of the game for breaking the rules, Jongup had fallen asleep with his head on Himchan's shoulder, and Yongguk had lost complete interest.

“Why don't we just get to the cake eating part?” He suggested, rolling the dice and moving his piece only half the correct amount of spaces. Though he was on a lose a turn space, he picked up one of the cards and took some money from the game's bank, no one even bothering with the rules anymore.

Zelo pushed his play money away from him and nodded. “Cake! Hyungs, I want cake!” He giggled and clapped his hands together again. He pushed away from the table and scampered over to the counter where the cake sat.

Dr. Kwon laughed, pushing Zelo back to his seat. “You just clean up this mess so there's room for cake.” He told the boys. “I'll get the candles lit and everything.”

Zelo pouted, but did as he was told. Yongguk helped to put all the pieces back into the box and fold the board up to place on top. He gave Zelo a small smile before taking the box and sitting it with the other games. His heart did a little flip inside his chest when Zelo smiled back. He shook his head to clear it and sat back down just as the doctors walked over carrying the cake.

A large cake, chocolate with white icing and skateboard designs. Eighteen candles all in a row above the words 'Happy Birthday Zelo' flickered. Zelo smiled, looking at the cake.

“Make a wish, Zelo.” Youngjae spoke up, smiling at him. Daehyun grabbed Youngjae's arm and tugged to get his attention, shushing him.

Yongguk smiled and leaned forward. “Wish for something special.” He whispered to Zelo.

Zelo nodded and closed his eyes. His face twisted up into a cute thoughtful expression before relaxing into a smile. He muttered something silent on his lips and then blew hard at the candles. The group clapped and sliced the cake.

Yongguk took his slice of cake and kicked his feet up in an empty chair, shoveling some of the sweet confection into his mouth. He his lips and looked up at the rest of the group. The others smiled and talked with each other, joking and having fun. Even Youngjae seemed to be having a good time with Himchan and the others.

Yongguk smiled to himself as he watched Youngjae stop speaking to Himchan to turn and poke Daehyun in the side. Daehyun turned to look at the other and smiled as Youngjae fed him a bite of cake. Yongguk's eyes then moved on to find Zelo taking a seat right in front of him.

“Hyung.” He smiled shy, dropping his plate of cake onto the table.

“Zelo.” Yongguk returned the smile, sitting up straight in his seat. “Happy Birthday.”

Zelo chuckled. “Thanks, Hyung.”

Yongguk smiled, taking a bite of the cake.

“So, what did you get me?” Zelo grinned, leaning towards Yongguk.

The elder laughed and shook his head. “You'll have to wait until later.”

Zelo looked at the stack of presents and then back at Yongguk. “Which one is yours then?”

Yongguk chuckled and shook his head, pulling a long white envelope out of his pocket. “Mine is right here. I'm going to give it to you later, alright?”

Zelo pouted and reached for the envelope, only to have Yongguk pull it out of his reach and slipped it back into his jacket pocket.

“After the party.” He chuckled. Zelo continued to pout at him for a while longer, but he ignored the boy and went on eating his cake.

Zelo huffed and shoved his fork into his cake. Leaning against his arm, elbow on the table, he shoved some cake into his mouth and sulked for a while longer.

“Presents!” Daehyun spoke up suddenly, just in time as Yongguk swallowed his last bite of cake. “Let's open the presents now!”

Zelo grinned and nodded. He pushed his half empty plate away from him and jumped up, running to the table with the presents like an excited child. Yongguk chuckled, kicking one leg over the other. He leaned back and watched the party go on.

Zelo opened his presents, one by one, thanking the person who got each of them for him. A new notebook, a set of wheels for his skateboard, new shoes. Things Zelo had been asking for for weeks. Not that he'd been asking Yongguk, asking the others though. He'd never once told Yongguk what he might want for his gift.

Yongguk patted his pocket, sure that what he'd gotten would be enough to make Zelo cry tears of happiness. He smiled again, waiting for everything to finish. He was glad that everyone, especially Zelo, was having a good time. However, he just couldn't seem to wait to get Zelo alone to give him the present. This was something he didn't want the others to see. This was for Zelo alone.

It seemed like forever before the party finally ended. Yongguk offered to walk Zelo back to his hospital room. To a backdrop of knowing looks, and some upset ones, Yongguk and Zelo carried the gifts down the hall together.

Dropping them on Zelo's bed, the older man turned to look at the boy. Zelo grinned, tired but happy.

“So, Hyung.” He spoke, sitting down the presents he carried and the extra slice of cake he'd brought for later. “What did you get me for my birthday?”

“Arra...Arra...” Yongguk laughed, walking over to the window. He sat down and stared out it, looking up at the dark sky, the stars twinkling. “Come here, Junhong.”

Zelo's expression turned curious, a more serious look taking over when he heard Yongguk call him by his real name. He sat down on the couch next to Yongguk, twisting his body towards the other's so that they could both look out the window.

“I spent a really long time thinking about what I could get you.” Yongguk said after a while, glancing over at Zelo. He stared back at him with a curious smile. Yongguk chuckled. “Actually, I thought about it for about three hours before I got this idea...”

“So...what is it, Hyung?” Zelo asked once more.

Yongguk chuckled, shaking his head at the impatient boy. He shifted in his seat to fully face Zelo, taking the boy's hands in his own. Yongguk looked down at their hands, Zelo's smaller ones fitting perfectly into his own. He his lips and then spoke softly.

“You know...I'd wrap the galaxy in a boy and put it in your hands if I could?” Yongguk glanced up from under his lashes, smiling at the slightly shocked, kind of embarrased smile that formed on Zelo's face. “Instead, I could only do this much..”

He pulled the envelope from his pocket and placed it in Zelo's open hands, folding the boy's fingers over it and pushing his hands back to him. Zelo looked from the enveleop to Yongguk's face, and then back to his own hands.

Zelo opened the white envelope with shaking hands, looking up at Yongguk as if asking permission before he pulled the contents from their package. A single piece of parchment paper, folding in thirds. Zelo unfolded it, revealing a gold foiled bored and intricate words, the pattern of a galaxy in the corner.

“It's...Hyung..this is..” Zelo looked up at Yongguk with wide eyes.

Yongguk smiled. “It's a name your own star form. Paid for and everything...all you've got to do is write the name of the star in the blank and mail it back in.”

“Hyung...you bought me a star?” Zelo asked.

Yongguk nodded, watching the way comprehension dawned on Zelo's face and a smile bloomed. He jumped forward, onto the back of the couch and pressed his face up against the window to look out at the sky.

“Which one?” He asked. “Which one is mine?”

Yongguk laughed again, mirroring Zelo's position to look out the window with him. He scanned the sky until one star in particular appeared to him. One single star, seperate from the other clusters that seemed to be shining just a little bit brighter than the rest. He pointed to it.

“That one. That's your star, Zelo.” Yongguk leaned closer to Zelo, whispering to him as the boy's eyes followed his finger up into the night sky.