Himchan's in Trouble

The List

  Yongguk walked into the hospital room, laughing softly at the sight. Zelo sat at the foot of his bed, curled up in a blanket. The lights all out, staring at the tiny television. The boy didn't even notice Yongguk walk in and quietly shut the door.

He leaned against the wall and watched Zelo mouth out the words just as the movie was coming to its end. Zelo sniffled, soft smile on his face, wiping the wetness from his eyes as the end credits began to roll.

“Casablanca again?” Zelo jumped at the sudden sound of Yongguk's voice.

The blanket fell off the boy's head, revealing no more bandages covering his scalp.

“Hyung.” He called with a smile, making himself comfortable again, slipping the blanket back up over his bald head. “You're here.”

Yongguk sat on the edge of the bed. He pulled the blanket down off Zelo's head again, laughing and tugging harder when Zelo tried to keep it up.

“You got your bandages off.” Yongguk grinned. “Let me see.”

Zelo whined, even as the blanket slipped off his had and pooled around his shoulders. “It looks horrid, Hyung...please don't look..”

“You look fine, Zelo.” Yongguk smiled softly at the boy, fingers tracing the pale white scar on the side of the boy's head. “You look great.”

“I look like a marble.” Zelo pouted, reaching up to touch his scalp. “It'll take forever to get all my hair back..”

“You look just fine with or wihtout hair, Zelo. You're adorable.” Yongguk chuckled, poking the boy's nose.

Zelo slapped at Yongguk's hand and pulled himself up out of the bundle of blankets. He was already fully dressed in some jeans and a tee shirt. “Come on, let's go.”

Yongguk stood up as Zelo grabbed a hat. He put it on his head, pulling it down low. He grabbed Yongguk's hand, lacing their fingers, and pulling him out the door.

“Where are we going?” Yongguk asked.

Zelo laughed, waving at Dr. Kwon as they walked past the desk. Zelo looked back at Yongguk with a smile. “We're going to the garden.”

“Why the garden?” Yongguk's eyebrow popped up as he watched the excited boy, unable to keep the smile off his face.

“Because I haven't been able to go outside since the surgery...” Zelo frowned suddenly, looking back at Yongguk as they stepped into the elevator. “Except for the funeral..”

Yongguk nodded, not knowing what to say past that. He pressed the button for the ground floor and held onto the railing as the elevator lurched into motion.

“How is he doing?” Zelo asked, rather quietly.

Yongguk sighed, soft. “Well...not good, really..” He glanced sideways at Zelo. “You remember how I was, before? The drugs...” he continued when Zelo nodded. “He's become like that...only with alcohol.”

Zelo pouted. “Are you taking care of him?”

“As best I can..” Yongguk scratched behind his ear.

Zelo smiled, leaning over to rest his head on Yongguk's shoulder. “It'll turn out fine, Hyung. He'll come around.

“The sad part is.” Yongguk said, stepping out of the elevator. “That he thinks no one has noticed.”

Zelo tugged on Yongguk's hand, leading him down the hallway. “You'll get through to him, Hyung...” He pushed open the heavy door, Yongguk helping him when he couldn't quite push it open.

Yongguk slipped into the garden and once more took Zelo's hand. “He's just..I don't know...” Yongguk shrugged and then changed the subject altogether. “How's Daehyun and Youngjae doing?”

Zelo chuckled then, grabbing the brim of his hat and tugging on it. “They're fine. The idiots...”

“Idiots?” Yongguk laughed. “Why are they idiots?”

Zelo poked his bottom lip out, pouting. He turned a corner and stepped back, rolling his eyes. “Because that.” He stated, motioning for Yongguk to look around the corner.

Yongguk did as was told and found Daehyun and Youngjae in the gardens, holding to each other and kissing beneath one of the larger trees. Yongguk's hand came up to cover his gaping mouth. Zelo pulled him back, giggling, just as Youngjae pressed Daehyun against the tree, a hand on either side of him.

“See what I mean?” Zelo hid his giggles behind his hand.

“Oh god...and in public, too.” Yongguk laughed quietly, peeking back out at the two lovers. “I'm an , and I still wouldn't do that in public.”

Zelo pouted, slapping Yongguk playfully. “You are not an .”

Yongguk shrugged, taking Zelo's hand in his. “What do you say we go bug them for a while, hmm?”

Zelo nodded and laughed. The two sneaked around to the back side of the tree, keeping out of sight of the distracted boys. Then, when they both hid behind the tree, Yongguk tiptoed around one side and Zelo around the other. They peeked at the boys and then attacked.

Yelling out, Zelo jumped on Youngjae's back and Yongguk pounced at Daehyun, tickling him until he fell to his knees.

“Guys! Guys! Okay, stop!” Daehyun laughed, rolling in the grass. Yongguk stopped and leaned against the tree, smiling smug, arms crossed over his shoulder.

“You shouldn't be eating each other's faces in public.” Zelo pouted, letting go of Youngjae. He grinned, walking back around the two and leaning next to Yongguk.

Youngjae reached down and pulled Daehyun to his feet, wrapping an arm around him. Daehyun smiled shyly, looking down at the ground instead of up at Yongguk and Zelo.

“What brings you guys down here?” He asked.

“Zelo wanted to come.” Yongguk shrugged, nodding his head over at the younger boy.

Zelo chuckled, grinning wide and innocent from beneath his hat. Yongguk had an idea that he knew these two boys would be here. Yongguk chuckled, shaking his head at the mischevious little boy.

“Well...” Youngjae spoke up, shoving his free hand into his pocket. “What now?”

“Let's play a game!” Zelo giggled, clapping his hands together and pulling away from the tree. He walked into a nice spot on the grass where the sunshine from above shined and sat down.

The others followed him, each sitting around Zelo in a circle. Yongguk to the boy's left and Daehyun to his right with Youngjae across from him. They relaxed in the sun for a while before they even started to think of a game to play.

One by one, they started listing off things they could do. Games they could play and things they could talk about. No one could agree on anything, so the group ended up just sitting on the ground and talking.

Youngjae had changed a lot, Yongguk had noticed. The thought didn't come as a surprise to him, when Youngjae leaned over and touched Yongguk's hand to quietly ask about Himchan while the brothers talked. He was only surprised by the fact that he wasn't surprised.

Yongguk had seen it, since Youngjae had finally realized Daehyun's feelings. His anger, his prejudices, Yongguk had started seeing Youngjae as a descent person.

He smiled at the boy's question and nodded his head. “He'll be alright. I'm taking care of him.”

Youngjae nodded, turning away from Yongguk just as Daehyun and Zelo broke apart, giggling. Yongguk chuckled at Zelo and leaned back on his arms.

“What are you two thinking?” He asked.

The brothers looked at each other for a moment, grinned, and then turned their eyes back to Yongguk and Youngjae. “Truth or Dare.”

The game decided, the boys started to argue over who was going to start until finally, they did a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors and it was decided that Zelo would start the game. Round and round, the game went. Each boy trying to out do the one before with dares becoming outrageous and unusual until Yongguk was dared, by Zelo no less, to make a lap around the garden in nothing but his underpants.

Laughing, the other watch Yongguk stand up, jacket sliding off his shoulders. He his lips, eyes flickering to Zelo for a split moment. The boy hid his face beneath the brim of his hat, expression hidden in shadow.

The ringing of a phone halted Yongguk's actions, hands on the buckle of his belt. To the dismay of the others in the group, Yongguk jumped at the chance to stop his strip and reach for the phone in the pocket of the jacket on the floor.

“Gukkie?” The hoarse, drunken voice of Himchan filtered through the phone.

“Himchan.” Yongguk's fingers pinched the bridge of his nose and at his words immediate silence fell upon the group.

“Gukkie...help.” Himchan slurred into the phone and sniffled.

“Help?” Yongguk turned his back on the others. “Where are you? What's going on?”

He glanced back at the three boys sitting in a cirlce, looking on with concerned eyes and waiting for some kind of explination.

“I..I don't know...” Himchan whimpered. Suddenly, there was a pause on the end of the line. Something that sounded like bumping, falling, static.

“Himchan?” Yongguk called into the phone. “Himchan, what's going on?”

Himchan groaned, the sound far away, a bit more static and then he spoke into the phone. “Shh..”

Yongguk bit his lip, keeping quiet while he listened to the other end of the phone. He couldn't see what was going on, could barely tell over the phone. He heard shuffling, scraping sounds. The sound of wind rushing past and some screams in the distance.

After a while, Himchan spoke again. His words slurred and hurried, halted by deep breaths. He ran as he spoke into the phone. “I'm by a warehouse.” He said. “They're after me, Gukkie..but I think I can make it to the old hideout. You remember the place.”

Yongguk nodded. He knew well the part of town Himchan was in, and the hideout. The two had spent plenty of nights in the hide out when they were both avoiding their parents, or school, or whatever other vague annoyance they had at the time.

“Stay there and sit tight.” Yongguk spun around and grabbed his jacket. He looked up, met eyes with Zelo. The boy nodded and Yongguk turned around and rushed off, jacket flung over his shoulder and phone to his ear. “Don't make a noise, bar the door, and stay there until I get there.”

Yongguk waited until Himchan agreed and shut the phone off, shoving it in his pocket before he rushed out the door and to his car.