It was Jongup, You Know

The List

The fog surrounded the area as the car turned around the corner.

Yongguk pulled the straw in his cup to his lips and up the last bit of his drink.

The group of people began to prepare to get on the plane as soon as they stepped out of the car.

Yongguk turned to look at Zelo, leaning against the pillow. He smiled when he saw the tears welling up in the boy's eyes.

“Maybe not today, Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.” The man spoke to the woman. Her voice wavered. “But what about us?” The man seemed to be laughing. “We'll always have Paris.”

Yongguk smiled, lacing his fingers with Zelo's and holding the boy's hand. Zelo didn't seem to notice, completely absorbed in the movie.

“Here's looking at you, Kid.”

Zelo mouthed the words to the movie, his eyes on the subtitles. All stayed silent until the credits began to roll. Zelo sniffled, wiping the tears from his eyes.

Yongguk chuckled again. “You really like this movie, don't you?”

Zelo nodded. “It's my favorite movie, even if it is old.”

Yongguk shrugged, moving the laptop off their laps and sitting in on the table next to the bed. He looked at the boy, white bandage wrapped around his newly shaved head. He'd cried more over the loss of his hair than he had his releif of making it through the surgery.

Yongguk had spent two days sitting with Zelo until he'd woken up after the surgery. He'd camped out another three days and done nothing but watch tv and talk and spend time with the boy. At some point, though, he'd needed to go back to work and left Zelo for the first time. Still, he came back to the hospital every single day.

Zelo smiled softly, bags under his eyes and tired on his face. He pulled the blanket up around him some more and watched Yongguk put away the laptop.

“Will you be back tomorrow?” Zelo asked him.

Yongguk zipped up his bag and walked back over to Zelo, sitting on the edge of his bed. He smiled and took Zelo's hand, giving it a reassuring little squeeze.

“I'll be back tomorrow, promise.” He grinned.

Zelo returned the smile, resting back against the pillow and closing his eyes for a moment. Yongguk his lips, tucking the blankets up around Zelo some more.

“Get yourself some rest now, alright?” He told the boy. “You still shouldn't be doing too much until you've healed. The doctor says it's still dangerous..”

Zelo pouted, lips turning down and his cheeks puffing out. “The only thing I'm worried about his my hair ever growing back.

Yongguk chuckled, shaking his head at the boy. He very gently placed his fingers against an exposed bald patch of Zelo's head. “It'll grow back in a few months, don't worry about it.”

Zelo whined, embellishing his pout. He grabbed Yongguk's hand so that the elder could't quite leave just yet.

“Will you bring me some ice cream tomorrow, too?” He asked.

Yongguk shook his head, soft smile still on his face. “The doctor says that you don't need to be eating ice cream just yet. Nothing too cold.”

“That's dumb.” Zelo pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. He glanced up at Yongguk, hoping that his display of cuteness would win the man over and get him some ice cream, but Yongguk didn't fold.

“The moment the doctors say you can have some, I'll take you out for all the ice cream you want, alright?” He chuckled.

Zelo nodded his head and finally let Yongguk leave, saying one more soft goodbye as the nurse walked in to change Zelo's bandages and Yongguk walked out.

Dr. Kwon stopped him just before he left, smiling at him. “How's he doing?”

Yongguk shrugged. “He's still upset about his hair.”

Dr. Kwon laughed, shaking his head. “And how are you?”

Yongguk lifted an eyebrow and didn't dignify the question with a response. “I'll be back after work tomorrow.”

He turned and walked away, pulling his phone from his pocket to text Himchan to meet him in the lobby to go home. For the first time in a few weeks, Himchan had asked Yongguk if he would take Himchan back up to the hospital to see Jongup.

Himchan had been to see the kid a few times with Yongguk since they'd finished their volunteer work, though he didn't come as often as Yongguk did.

Yongguk smiled when he saw Himchan coming around the corner. He put his phone away without sending the text and raised his hand to call out Himchan's name, only pausing when he noticed the expression on the man's face.

Himchan stumbled forwards, eyes red and cheeks wet. Yongguk frowned, running forward just in time to catch the man. Himchan grabbed Yongguk tight and held onto him, sobbing.

“What's wrong?” Yongguk panicked, leading Himchan to the nearest seats and sitting him down. “What happened? Are you alright?”

“He...” Himchan whimpered, looking up at Yongguk. “He's dead, Yongguk. He's dead.”

Yongguk took the seat next to Himchan. “Who?”

“Jongup hung himself.” Himchan whimpered, looking up at Yongguk with wide, desperate eyes.

Yongguk coughed, nearly choking on himself. “What? When? What happened?”

Himchan sniffled, shaking his head. “No..no, not now...”

Yongguk nodded, pulling Himchan back into a standing position. “Let's get you home, alright?”

Himchan didn't say anything after that. Yongguk helped him walk down to the car and got him inside. He buckled Himchan in and drove to the nearest store. Himchan didn't speak, still, waiting in the car while Yongguk went in and bought some beer to take home with them.

He glanced at his friend, staring at the paper in his hands, and then sighed. He drove them the rest of the way home in silence and helped Himchan up to the house. They sat on the couch, beers on the table in front of them.

“Alright.” Yongguk said, opening one of the cans and shoving it into Himchan's free hand. “Are you alright?”

“No.” Himchan muttered.

“Are you going to tell me what's going on?”

“No.” Himchan muttered.

Yongguk sighed. “What's in your hand?”

“Note.”

Yongguk opened himself a beer, taking a huge gulp from it before he tried once more.

“Can I see it?” he asked.

Himchan held the paper out, looking at it in his hand. After a long moment, and finishing half his beer in a few gulps, he finally started speaking. “He was writing this when I walked in today. He wouldn't let me see it...”

“What is it?” Yongguk asked softly, hoping Himchan wouldn't shut down on him again.

“Suicide note.” Himchan muttered, looking up at Yongguk. Another tear slipped out of his eyes. “It was Jongup, you know?” He laughed softly. “Of course, you didn't. Why would you? You don't know anything unless I tell you outright.”

“That's mean.” Yongguk pouted, though he wasn't really offended. He was more confused. “What was Jongup?”

Himchan stopped speaking, taking another few sips of his beer. “My boyfriend.”

Yongguk spit out the sip of beer he'd taken. “Th..the bastard who hit you? That...that was Jongup?”

Himchan shrugged, giving Yongguk a soft smile. “It was never his fault, not really. He honestly did try to be good to me...it was..it was just the voices in his head. He didn't want to hurt me.”

Yongguk chewed his lower lip, thinking. He sighed and then finished his first beer, sitting the can down and letting the alcohol rush over his system. He sniffled, looking at Himchan. “So, what happened?”

Himchan sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I wanted to talk to him, to try and work things out. I love him, Yongguk. I really did...just..just...He doesn't want to get better. He doesn't care about getting healthy and getting out of the hospital and I can't handle that. I just wanted him to get better so I..I told him...it's all my fault.” He broke down then, loud sobs racking through his body.

Yongguk took the can from him and sat it down, pulling Himchan into his lap. He let the man sob it out for a while, just running his fingers through Himchan's hair over and over again until he calmed enough to continue speaking.

“We got into another fight and I told him...if he didn't change then we would never get back together.” He whimpered, rolling over with his head in Yongguk's lap to look up at the elder. “I only left him for a few minutes...I thought we could cool down and talk it out...but..but when I walked back in the room he was just...just hanging there...”

“Oh god..” Yongguk whispered, looking down at Himchan. “I'm sorry...I'm so sorry, Channie..”

Himchan sniffled, sitting up and grabbing another can of beer. He placed the letter on the table and stood up. “I'm going to bed.” He walked back into his bedroom, leaving Yongguk there alone.

Yongguk sighed, letting out a series of soft curses the moment he heard Himchan's door slam shut and muffled sobs floated into the door. His eyes landed on the paper for a while before he finally decided to read it.

He opened the paper, looking down at it for a moment before he started reading. Written in pencil, and a few spots with tears on them. He sighed and started reading.

“My beloved Himchan.” He whispered, the words barely audible even to himself. “I'm sorry. I love you so much. Since the first day I saw you, I've cared so much that even now it hurts, and I'm sorry. Don't blame yourself, this is my fault. You deserve better. Someone I can never be. You gave me everything, and all I gave you in return was pain. But I promise you, no more.”

Yongguk stopped and opened a beer, knocking back half of it before he could continue reading.

“Thank you, for everything you've done. I had friends because of you. You and the others, Zelo. I heard he's not doing well, but he's still smiling isn't he? My greatest source of strength is knowing that someone out there has it worse than me and still has hope. For me, there is no more hope and no more strength. I'm sorry, Himchan, but this is the end for me. Keep living and be happy. You deserve it.”

Yongguk sat the paper down, guzzling his beer before dropping the can onto the table. He looked at the paper once more and stood up, running his hand through his hair. “..” He whispered to no one in particular.

He sighed and walked to Himchan's door, knocking lightly. When he got no answer, he gently pushed the door open.

“Himchan?” He called into the room, a soft whisper.

No response. He walked into the room and peered into the darkness. Himchan formed a lump on his bed and Yongguk walked over, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Channie?” He called out once more.

Himchan rolled over on the bed and sat up, pulling Yongguk down to him. With no words, their lips collided together in a desperate mess of teeth and tongue and the bitter taste of tears.

 

 

 

First off, let me say I'm sorry for the content. Secondly, let me say that I really do love you readers and thank you for all of your comments and I'm so glad that you all like this story so much and keep reading it to this point. I also hope that even though it's getting really sad right now that I do hope you keep reading all the way to the end. You readers will never know how much you mean to me.