Don't Ever Think That.

The List

Yongguk rolled his head back, eyes closed. The warmth of the sun beat down on his skin, making him sleepy. He thought, for a moment, that he should lay down on the bench and take a nap, but he didn't have the time.

Opening his eyes, he could see the man approaching in the distance. The man, tall and muscular. Dark hair and dark eyes. An exact reflection of himself in every way. His twin brother, Yongnam, dressed in a smart business suit, smiled when he walked up and sat down beside Yongguk.

“Thanks for meeting me, Yongguk.” He told his brother, smiling and no teeth showed.

Yongguk's own smile surpassed teeth and showed all gums and dimples. “It's been a while.”

His smile faded when his brother nodded and he rested his head back again. “So...what did you want?”

“Can't a guy visit his brother without wanting something?” Yongguk rolled his eyes.

“A guy can, but you can't.” He responded. “What is it this time?”

Yongnam sighed, pulling his bag off his back and opening it up. Yongguk attempted to peer inside, seeing only text books. Yongnam pulled one of them out.

“I need your help with this.” He flipped the book open to a page.

Yongguk looked over it for a moment. “Do you really need me to do your homework for you?” He asked, shooting a small playful glare up at his brother. “You're the one in college, not me.”

Yongnam whined and pouted. “Please? We both know you understand this stuff.”

Yongguk rolled his eyes. “Just because I share the same genetics as you doesn't mean I share the same intellect.”

“That's true.” Yongnam responded. “You're on a whole other level of smart than I am. Now please, just explain this to me? The test is in four hours.”

Yongguk sighed. “Fine, whatever.”

For the next hour, Yongguk explained in detail all the things that Yongnam didn't understand from his book. Several times, repeating things he'd said before. It took a while, and a lot of patience, but Yongnam finally understood what was going on and the text book slammed shut.

“I don't see why you didn't go to college.” Yongnam tipped his head to the side, standing up and reaching his hand down to pull his brother up.

“Because school isn't my thing.” Yongguk responded, taking his brother's hand and heaving onto his feet. “Don't you have to go?”

Yongnam shrugged, setting off walking down the path. Yongguk followed him. “I've still got some time. Don't you have to meet somebody?”

Yongguk nodded. “I'm meeting someone here later.”

“Who?” Yongnam's smile widened, though he still showed no teeth. “You got a new person?”

“Of course not.” Yongguk responded, growling softly.

Yongnam laughed. “Yeah, yeah. I know. You swore off relationships forever after that last thing.”

“It wasn't a thing.” Yongguk snapped. “It was....” He stopped speaking, Yongnam's hand on his shoulder.

“So tell me who it is?” Yongnam changed the subject again, back to the original question.

“Just somebody. A kid.” Yongguk muttered, hand over his face to muffle his voice, hoping Yongnam wouldn't hear him properly and would ignore him.

“A kid?” Yongguk visibly flinched at the tone his twin's voice held.

Yongguk shrugged, stepping forward. “A kid from the hospital I've been...volunteering at.”

“Volunteering?” Yongnam scoffed. “Sure.”

Yongguk turned around, pushing his brother. “Stop being a .”

“Stop being a .” Yongnam replied, stepping forward and pushing Yongguk.

“Hyung!” A voice yelled, causing Yongguk to turn around immediately. Yongnam followed his lead.

Zelo, dressed in jeans and an oversided shirt, waved at Yongguk. He ran over, followed by Daehyun and Youngjae. Daehyun gave Yongguk a small smile and Youngjae frowned silently. Zelo skidded to a halt and looked at the twins.

“Hyung...” His voice held a hint of confusion and awe. “There's two of you.”

Yongguk laughed. “Zelo...meet Yongnam. He's my brother. Yongnam, this is Zelo.”

“That's him?” Yongnam asked, looking between the two. He smiled. “Even for a guy, he's pretty cute.”

“Yah!” Yongguk hissed, slapping his brother in the back of the head. Zelo squeaked, his face turning red.

Yongnam laughed, rubbing the spot. “Well, I'd better be going. It was nice to meet you Zelo!” Yongnam bowed politely for a second before heaving his bag over his shoulder and taking off in the other direction.

Yongguk let out a breath of relief when his brother walked away. It seemed his entire body relaxed and he turned to Zelo and the others. “Sorry about him..”

Zelo only grinned. “I didn't know your brother was a twin, Hyung!”

Yongguk chuckled. “Eh, anyway, how did you guys get out here?”

“Doctor Kwon gave me a pass to take Zelo home for the day. He thinks we're going to visit our mom for her birthday.” Daehyun responded.

“This is stupid.” Youngjae muttered. “All of us are going to get in trouble when he finds out.”

“Then don't let him find out.” Zelo remarked.

Yongguk chuckled, ruffling Zelo's hair. Daehyun looked at the two of them, then to Youngjae.

“Youngjae, let's go. Zelo and Yongguk can have fun without us.” He said, taking Youngjae's hand. “We can go hang out together.”

“But I want to hang out with Zelo...” Youngjae whined. “The three of us...four of us..” He amended, glancing to Yongguk. “never get a chance to hang out together.”

Daehyun shot a glance at Yongguk, who shrugged. “I don't see why we couldn't all hang out.”

Youngjae grinned, looking at Daehyun. Daehyun's smile faded slightly, but he nodded. The four of them walked on, Daehyun had not released Youngjae's hand as they walked. Yongguk glanced over to see Zelo watching their hands with a smile on his face. He chuckled softly, causing Zelo to look up at him.

“Hyung, what are we going to do today?” He asked, a smile on his face as he held out his hand for the older boy to take.

Yongguk took it, sliding his calloused fingers between Zelo's smooth ones. He smiled, squeezing lightly before walking on with the group. “We're going to go skating today.”

“But..I didn't bring my skateboard!” Zelo whined. “You should have told me, I could have brought my skateboard!”

Yongguk laughed, tugging Zelo ahead. “That's the point. We're going to rollerblade.”

“But...but..Hyung, I don't know how to rollerblade.” He pouted once more.

“Then I'll teach you.” Yongguk told him. “It'll be fun, right?”

Zelo stopped walking for a moment, looking at Yongguk as if he'd grown a second head. A second later, a smile bloomed on his face and he nodded. “I'd like that.”

Yongguk's smile stuck on his face as Zelo pulled him down the path. Youngjae and Daehyun ahead of them, speaking quietly between themselves. Yongguk watched Zelo watch them in silence until they came to the park's skating rink, renting four pairs of skates.

Yongguk slipped his on and looked up, finding Zelo still messing with his skate's straps. He skated over to the younger boy, doing a spin before coming to a halt and immediately dropping down on to one knee. Zelo's jaw hung open, watching Yongguk.

“Let me help you.” Yongguk told him, trying to force himself not to smile. He pulled Zelo's straps on properly and patted the boy's knee, pulling himself back up on his feet, holding out his hand.

Zelo pulled himself up, his legs trembling beneath him. He immediately grabbed tightly onto both Yongguk's arms, his feet nearly sliding out from under him. Yongguk laughed.

“Get your balance, Zelo.” Yongguk cooed, encouragingly. He stood still, letting Zelo rest against him until the younger boy could get his bearings and get up on the skates properly.

Zelo whimpered, slowly letting go of Yongguk, only to stumble and grab hold of him once again. Daehyun and Youngjae skated up to them.

“If he gets hurt, I'm punching you in the face.” Daehyun called to Yongguk, grabbing Youngjae and pulling him out onto the rink with all the other skaters.

“Hyung...I don't want to get hurt.” Zelo pouted.

Yongguk chuckled, sliding Zelo's hands into his own. “I won't let you get hurt, Zelo. Do you trust me?”

Zelo peeked up from under his blonde curls. “Of course I trust you, Yongguk Hyung.”

Yongguk smiled. “Then just move slowly..”

Zelo nodded. Yongguk started to skate backwards slowly. He pulled Zelo along with him, making the boy skate forward shakily. Zelo whimpered until he gained his balance, slowly coaxed by Yongguk until they both skated out onto the rink.

Zelo refused to let go of Yongguk's hands while he followed the motions of Yongguk's feet to skate beside him. Their hands never left each other as they skated, everyone else moving around them quickly.

“Are you ready to speed up now, Zelo?” Yongguk asked him.

Zelo chewed his lip and nodded. Yongguk smiled. He pushed off with his foot faster. Zelo imitated him. The two sped up, Zelo still clinging hard to Yongguk's hand. His fingers had been throbbing for the last half hour as he taught Zelo to skate, but he said nothing about it. Holding Zelo's hand in his was just fine with him, even if Zelo was squeezing it to death.

“Hyung, can we stop?” Zelo asked after a while, pulling himself to a shaky stop. Yongguk reached out and wrapped an arm around Zelo to keep him from falling over. He pulled the younger back up to his feet and gently guided him off the rink to sit on a bench nearby.

“What's wrong, Zelo?” Yongguk asked him, his expression worried. Zelo smiled, eyes heavily lidded.

“I'm just a little tired, Hyung.” He muttered. “Can I have some water?”

Yongguk nodded, ruffling Zelo's hair. “Stay right here, I'll go get you something to drink.”

Yongguk skated away, glancing back over his shoulder at Zelo. The boy's shoulders shook and he ran a hand through his hair. Yongguk's smile faded and he skated quickly to the concession stand.

“Bottle of water.” He ordered, shoving his hand into his pocket for some money. He dumped it on the table, grabbed the bottle of water, and skated back to Zelo's side as fast as he could.

When he skated to a halt and sat next to the younger boy, Zelo was staring out at the rink and chuckling softly.

“What are you looking at?” Yongguk asked, twisting the top off the bottle and putting it in Zelo's hand.

“Youngjae and Daehyun.” He responded, taking a sip of the water. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and pointed at the two boys. “Daehyun knocked them over.”

Yongguk chuckled, watching Daehyun and Youngjae. Both of them were tangled together on the floor, people skating around them and laughing as well. Daehyun seemed to be bright red, laughing while Youngjae tried to pull them apart. He only succeeded in falling over once more and squishing Daehyun to the ground.

“What are they even...” Yongguk trailed off, laughing again, hiding his smile behind his hand.

Zelo smiled, leaning against Yongguk's shoulder. “They're always funny to watch.”

It took ten minutes for the two of them to finally get untangled. Finally, when they both stood up, Youngjae took hold of Daehyun's arm and slowly skated them off the rink, over to where Yongguk and Zelo sat. Daehyun flopped down on the bench.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Zelo asked, leaning over Yongguk, hand wrapped around the elder's neck for balance while he looked at his brother.

Youngjae knelt in front of Daehyun, pulling off one of the other's skates. Daehyun winced, but sent a smile to his little brother. “I'm fine, Zelo. It's not that bad.”

Youngjae tugged up the bottom of Daehyun's pants. “You idiot..” He muttered, speaking under his breath though Yongguk still barely heard him. His fingers flitted easily over Daehyun's ankle. “You've sprained it.”

“How do you know?” Yongguk asked, having just watched Youngjae touch Daehyun's ankle for a few seconds at most.

Youngjae looked up at Yongguk with a blank expression, then without answering, turned back to Daehyun. “What were you thinking? Trying to trip me on purpose? And you went and got yourself injured!”

“Youngjae's in medical school.” Zelo muttered into Yongguk's ear, pulling himself away from the older to rest his head on his shoulder again, watching is brother with a worried expression.

“Oh...” Yongguk paused, looking down at the younger boy.

Youngjae frowned. “I'm only a first year, but yeah..I'm training to be a doctor.” He shot a little smile over at Zelo. Zelo returned it and Youngjae's smile grew twice as wide again.

Daehyun coughed, all the boys looking at him once more. “I think maybe I should go to the doctor to get this treated..”

“Let's go back to the hospital..” Zelo's smile faded, looking down at his hands.

Daehyun smiled, reaching over Yongguk to ruffle Zelo's hair. Zelo grabbed his brother's hand and tossed it a way, whining. “Hyung!”

“You don't have to come with me.” Daehyun responded. “Youngjae can take me and the two of you can continue to have fun here.”

“What about Doctor Kwon?” Yongguk asked. “What will he say when you show up without Zelo?”

Daehyun shrugged. “I'll just tell him that I got myself hurt, so I called you to come take care of Zelo because he wasn't ready to go back yet, and you can bring Zelo whenever you're done having fun.”

Yongguk nodded. Daehyun smiled at him, giving him a respectful nod, before turning to frown at Youngjae. “Now you, take care of me, huh?”

Youngjae rolled his eyes, glancing at Zelo. “Will you be alright without us, then?”

Zelo nodded. “I'm not the one you should worry about right now, Hyung.”

Youngjae nodded. “Alright then.”

Youngjae turned in their skates and got his shoes back on. He pulled Daehyun onto his back and waved goodbye to the others, carrying Daehyun off.

“I wonder if they even realize it...” Zelo muttered to himself, watching them go.

“Realize what?” Yongguk asked, taking the bottle of water from Zelo and taking a sip of it himself.

Zelo chuckled a little. “How perfect they are for each other, maybe?”

Yongguk grinned. “They are, a bit, aren't they?”

Zelo nodded. “Maybe one day Youngjae will stop being stupid and just ask Daehyun out already.”

Yongguk shrugged, leaning back. “Do you think it'll happen?”

Zelo didn't respond. His face fell suddenly and he took a deep sigh, looking out into the distance. “I...”

Yongguk tilted his head, watching Zelo. He made no attempt to push the words out of Zelo, but waited patiently for Zelo to continue speaking. After a while, Zelo stared at his hands, unable to meet Yongguk's eyes.

“Maybe after I'm dead it'll happen...” He muttered. “But as long as I'm alive, Daehyun won't be happy...”

Yongguk's eyes widened. His stomach hit the ground with a harsh thud and bounced back up into his throat to gag and choke him. He coughed, trying to rid himself of the sudden feelings.

“The , Zelo?!” He nearly yelled, grabbing Zelo by the shoulders. He forced the younger to look directly into his eyes. “Don't you ever say that again, alright? Don't you ever think that! No one you know, none of us, will ever be happier with you gone. Not Youngjae, not your brother, not me. You are not going to have to die for Youngjae to realize Daehyun's feelings. Don't you ever, ever for a single second ever think any of us would be happier without you!”

Tears formed in Yongguk's eyes as he spoke, his voice trembling and his eyes looking intently at every part of Zelo's face as the younger's expression changed. His eyes widened, lips tightened, his gaze fell and the life drew from his eyes until all that was left was shame.

“Mianhe..” He muttered, his own voice cracking as well. Yongguk stopped, pulling back. The anger left his voice and he reached up to press his hand gently against Zelo's face, tilting it up so their eyes met again, a softer expression now on his face.

“Zelo, I don't want you to die..” He whispered the words so only the younger boy could hear them. “You mean too much...to all of us. Youngjae and Daehyun will work this thing out themselves. You don't need to die for that to happen. None of us will be happy when you're gone...not your brother...not me..”

“Hyung...” Zelo whimpered, a soft smile lighting his features, tears b in his eyes. He jumped forward into Yongguk's arms and nuzzled his face into the older's neck, nuzzling there and squeezing him tightly.

Yongguk laughed, taking the chance to wipe the tears from his own eyes. His heart calmed and stomach settled with Zelo in his arms. When they pulled away, he smiled at the boy.

“Let's try skating again?” He suggested.

Zelo chuckled and started to stand up. Yongguk quickly stood, spinning and pulling Zelo towards the rink with him.

“Hyung.” Zelo called, just before they stepped onto the track. Yongguk turned back to look at him. “How long have you known how to skate?”

“I learned yesterday.” Yongguk responded, gummy smile on his face. “So that I would be able to teach you today.”