Stranger Corpses

The List

    The plastic tray fell onto the table with a clatter. Yongguk followed, falling into the seat next to Himchan. Himchan watched Yongguk and gave him a tired smile. Yongguk responded with a grunt, yawning and staring at his food.
    He closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. "You wouldn't even believe the day I've had." He finally spoke, voice lacking all enthusiasm.
    Himchan scoffed. "You don't even know the half of it."
    Yongguk his lips, taking his first bite of the hospital food. "I want to quit. Can I tell the judge I've changed my mind and I just want to take the jail time?"
    "It's only been two weeks." Himchan told him, "Besides, how would I pay the rent without you?"
    Yongguk whined, throwing his arm onto the table and resting  his head on it. Himchan slapped his hand away. "It's not even that bad. All you've got to do is hang out with cancer patients all day."
    "I just spent the last half hour cleaning piss off the floor cause one of those cancer patients got tired of his catheter and yanked the ing thing out." Yongguk responded, frown on his face.
    Himchan laughed, but it quickly turned back into a frown. "I spent the last hour listening to this kid talk about me to his imaginary friend. I swear, he doesn't even realize he's crazy."
    Yongguk paused to take a bite of food. "When I got here this morning, he was skateboarding through the hallway. He had taken out his IV and just started skating. In the hallway."
    "Who was that?" Himchan asked.
    Yongguk sneered, taking another bite of his food without answering the question. 
    The silence was an answer for Himchan, who smirked the slightest bit. "It was that little kid you told me about, Zelo?"
    Yongguk sighed and nodded his head. "He's such a brat. He's always doing stupid and he never gets in trouble for it. And he never shuts up...please, oh  god..kill me now before I have to go back up there...why does everyone let him get away with being such a little ?"
    "It's because he's going to die anyway." Himchan responded. Yongguk frowned at the way Himchan said it. He shrugged his shoulders, as if Zelo's death was as inconsequential as turning off the living room light.
    "That's not the point." He muttered, pushing his food away from him. He finished half of it, but didn't seem to have much of an appetite anymore. 
    Himchan slurped up the last of his soup then grabbed Yongguk's bowl, starting in on what was left of it. 
    "Jongup.." Himchan spoke between bites. "He's in therapy right now so they let me come get lunch. He's not so bad. At least he follows the rules, you know. Mostly he just sits in his room and mutters to himself."
    "Lucky bastard." Yongguk responded. "Most of the patients on my floor stay to themselves, but that ing kid..." He shook his head, his lips tightening into  a frown. He didn't have to finish his sentence for Himchan to understand what he meant.
    "Why don't we go out tonight?" Himchan suggested. "We deserve it."
    "Don't have work tomorrow, so sure." Yongguk shrugged, resting his face in the crook of his arm. He closed his eyes and tried to relax. "Where  should we go?"
    Himchan shrugged. "Zensai is pretty good on Friday nights."
    Yongguk lifted his head, eyes  still closed, shook his head and then drop it back down onto his arm. "I can't go back there. They banned me."
    "They won't even notice if you come back in." Himchan pouted. Yongguk knew how much Himchan enjoyed Zensai. The boys were hot there and the bartender gave him free shots sometimes. 
    "They have a picture of my face at the door with the words 'Do not admit' written on it." To that, though, Himchan chuckled and then finished off his drink.
    "What about Club Overdose then?" He watched Yongguk for a reaction.
    Yongguk nodded into his arm and hummed out an affirmative. Himchan smiled, reaching over and ruffling Yongguk's hair. Yongguk didn't even bother with scolding the younger boy for doing it. He didn't have the energy.
    "I've got to get back upstairs before Jongup gets out of therapy or Doctor Choi will get angry with me." Himchan told him, standing up. "I'll see you at the end of the day."     
    Yongguk laid at the table for another twenty minutes before he got up, and even then it was only because Doctor Kwon called him and told him to get back up there right away.
    With a groan, Yongguk pushed himself up from the table and ambled his way back up to the elevator and to the ward. He paused at the chaos before him
    Three men pushed a gurney out of one of the rooms. On it laid a body covered with a sheet. Yongguk recognized the room number, 314, Mrs. Kim's room. A young woman with a husband and a little girl. Yongguk had liked them. The little girl clung to her father's leg as they stood with the doctor, talking.
    The moment Doctor Kwon saw Yongguk, he motioned him over. The little girl tackled his legs and sobbed into his jeans.
    "Oppa!" She whined. Yongguk bent down to pick her up.
    "Hush now, Sujin-ah.." He cooed. "It's going to be okay..Oppa's here."
    Everyone staid silent as Yongguk comforted the little girl. She tucked her head into the crook of Yongguk's neck and held on for dear life. 
    "What happened?" Yongguk asked.
    "She hung herself." Doctor Kwon told him, looking at the body.
    "It was just too much for her..." Her husband sobbed, hiding his face in a handkerchief. "She couldn't stand the pain.."
    Doctor Kwon patted him on the back to attempt to calm him and spoke. "They're taking her away now, but SuJin was crying for you..."
    Yongguk nodded and rubbed the girl's back. He could still feel her body trembling in his arms. He looked up again to watch the men, his eyes traveling past the scene to the end of the hall. He saw Zelo standing just outside of his door, watching everything. They met eyes and Zelo nodded before shutting the door to his room.
    It had only been a few weeks, but Yongguk had grown attached to the woman and her young child. The fact that she was now dead hit him like a brick to the gut. The good ones always died, he knew that, but it didn't soften the blow any.
    Yongguk gulped to bite back the tears. They burned at his eyes, but he would not cry in front of the little girl.
    "Oppa..." her whine was muffled into his neck.
    "What is it, Sujin?" He cooed at her, bouncing her gently.
    "Sing to me.." She mumbled again. "Please?"
    Yongguk chuckled and nodded. "Sure thing, kiddo." He turned and looked at her father. "I'm just going to take her into the waiting lounge. Get her away from...all this commotion." His eyes were focussed on the body just now being rolled away from the room.
    Her father nodded and Yongguk walked into the lounge to sit at one of the couches. She crawled off his lap and laid down beside him, resting her head on his knee. 
    "You know I don't sing well, right SuJinnie?" He gave her a gummy grin. 
    She giggled and shook her head, pouting cutely. "You sing good! Sing to me..please?"
    Yongguk nodded, ruffling her hair as she laid back down. None of the songs he knew were appropriate for little kids.
    He finally decided on the only song he knew that wasn't rap. A Disney song, from an old movie that he had loved watching with his mother as a child. The Lion King. 
    His voice came out deep and gravelly but soft.  SuJin fell asleep before he even finished. He continued to sing until it was over anyway, his fingers running softly through her hair.
    "I didn't know you could sing, too." A familiar voice spoke.
    Yongguk looked up to find Zelo standing in the doorway, leaning heavily against his IV pole. 
    "I don't sing." Yongguk responded, frowning at Zelo. 
    "You're not that bad, though." He said, his dry lips. He took a few shaky steps forward until he fell down into the chair beside them, looking down at the little girl. "Is she gonna be okay?"
    Yongguk shrugged. "Are you okay?"
    Zelo smiled and nodded, eye drooping even as he did so. "I'm fine. just a little tired. I think it's the new medicine they're trying."
    "You should be in bed." Yongguk's frowned deepened, his voice starting to sound harsh. "What are you doing out of bed if you're not feeling well."
    "If I stayed in bed the whole time that I felt bad then I would live in that bed, Hyung." He responded.
    Yongguk didn't respond to that, but he continued to look at Zelo and hope the boy saw the disapproval in his expression.
    Zelo seemed to be ignoring it if he noticed. He looked back down at the girl. "She must be going through a lot right now..."
    "She just lost her mom...of course she is." Yongguk responded, petting her head. She moved in her sleep and nuzzled against his leg some more. 
    Zelo shifted, sliding out of the sweater he wore. He placed it over the girl like a blanket. "It's cold in here, she should stay warm.."
    Yongguk watched Zelo the whole time. The way Zelo tucked the jacket around the little girl and his face softened when he looked at her. 
    "Why do you care so much?" He asked suddenly.
    Zelo didn't even look up from the little girl. "I just know what it's like to lose a parent."
    Yongguk was silent for a long while. He watched Zelo, thinking. He had heard Zelo talk about his brother, but he couldn't recall any mention of his parents before. He hadn't seen them once since he'd been there
    "I lost my mom too." Yongguk said after a while, but said no more on the subject and Zelo didn't push it. 
    The two just sat there in the silence for a while until SuJin's father came in to take her away.
    Doctor Kwon scolded Zelo lightly when he realized the boy was in there as well. No one else ever scolded Zelo, but since the doctor wouldn't punish him, Zelo always continued to misbehave.
    "You should be in bed." Doctor Kwon told him. "You know it's dangerous for you to be standing up right now."
    "Seriously, Doctor." Zelo stood up, clinging to his IV pole. He swayed on his feet as he tried to walk. "I feel just fine."
    Doctor Kwon's twisted into a frown. "You're getting back in bed right now. You are not fine. Yongguk, take him to his room and make sure he doesn't get back up from his bed for the rest of the day."
    "Yeah, okay.." Yongguk responded, the energy alreaedy draining from him. He always did his best to avoid Zelo's room when he had to be there. He couldn't explain it, but Zelo just made Yongguk uncomfortable...annoyed, even.
    As they walked out of the room, Zelo stumbled Yongguk jumped forward and caught him. He wrapped one arm around Zelo's waist and put Zelo's arm around his neck to support him. He frowned when he realized he could feel the boy's ribs a little too well.
    Walking like that, the two of them got back to Zelo's room. Zelo barely responded when Yongguk got him down on the bed. Zelo fell onto his pillow right away, gasping for breath. A sweat had broken out on his forehead.
    Yongguk floundered for what to do, all his senses lost to him in panic until he was pushed. Another boy, shorter than Zelo, with light brown hair, stood where Yongguk once had been.
    "Zelo..Zelo..are you alright?" The boy frantically searched Zelo over for injuries. He pulled Zelo up into the bed and laid him down properly. He continued to call to Zelo, trying to get him to come too and say something, but the kid was unresponsive.
    "What have you done to him?!" The boy rounded on Yongguk. The older boy took a step back, instinctively trying to move away from the angry boy. 
    He threw his hands up and shook his head. "I didn't do . I just brought him back here."
    The words didn't calm the stranger, but instead they only made him go white as a sheet. Immediately he grabbed Zelo by the arm and pulled him onto his side. He held him that way and grabbed the call nurse button. He pushed it in a pattern, short bursts followed by a long and then a few more rapid short pushes.
    A few moment later, three nurses and Doctor Kwon rushed into the room, pushing Yongguk into the corner to watch as Zelo's body started trembling.
    The next moments were a blur of noises and confusion. Yongguk pushed himself as far into the corner as he could and watched on helplessly.
    Zelo's body trembled, twitched, flailed. The nurses did their best to hold him still, but occasionally one of his limbs would get free and he would slam around violently on the bed. Yongguk couldn't look away, even as bile rose in his throat. Zelo's eyes rolled back in his head and foam slipped out from the corner of his mouth.
    Doctor Kwon ran to a drawer and pulled out a needle. He rushed back to Zelo, but he couldn't get him to lay still enough to be able to try to inject him with the medicine.
    Zelo's seizure was too strong. The flailing had knocked the IV out of his arm and the three nurses couldn't hold him down on their own well enough for the doctor to get the needle ready.
    It happened in a flash. Yongguk's body moved on autopilot. He rushed to Zelo's side and grabbed the needle from the doctor. He didn't even hear the doctor yelling at him over the blood rushing through his ears. If something didn't happen fast, Zelo could be seriously hurt. 
    Yongguk flung himself onto the bed, using all his weight to pin Zelo's chest to the bed. He wrapped his leg around Zelo's arm in an imitation of a wrestling move and held him still. He uncapped the needle with his teeth and pushed it into Zelo's vein.
    He gave a few more shakes and then fell limp against the bed. The nurses immediately set to work fixing Zelo's IV and checking his stats.
    "What the hell were you thinking?!" Doctor Kwon grabbed Yongguk by his shirt the moment he climbed off the bed and slammed him into the wall. 
    "I knew what I was doing." Yongguk responded, pulling the Doctor's hands off him. 
    "You haven't had any training. You could have killed him!" The stranger grabbed him by the arm and flung him around, ready for another fight.
    Yongguk rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. "Obviously, I know what I'm going." He told the both of them. "I got the needle in the vein, unlike you seemed to be able to do...Doctor." He emphasized the name as he glared at Doctor Kwon.
    Doctor Kwon sighed, and shook his head. "Alright..alright. Just...don't do it again, please?"
    "Whatever." Yongguk scoffed, folding his arms over his chest.
    "Yah, bastard." The stranger pushed Yongguk back up against the wall. "I swear to God, if you ever put my brother's life in danger again I will destroy you."
    Yongguk stared right back at the boy. "Hey, I just saved his life."
    "Daehyun, Calm down." Doctor Kwon put his hand on the boy's shoulder and pulled him away from Yongguk. Daehyun continued to glare at Yongguk even as the doctor asked him to leave.
    With a sour face and one more glare towards Daehyun, Yongguk walked out of the room. He looked back at Zelo one more time before shutting the door, his last image of the boy laying in the bed looking like a corpse.