What is Family

The List

  “Appa...” Yongguk's hesitant voice broke the heavy silence of the room. His father looked at him with a hard expression but said nothing. “Appa...why are you here?”

“Why do you think?” His voice came as hard as his expression, face set like stone as he looked at Yongguk. The boy shivered under his father's gaze, staring down at the lump in the blankets that was his knees. “I thought I could trust you to live quietly.”

“I have been.” Yongguk responded.

“I got a call from your doctor saying that you'd been put in the hospital again, Yongguk. When are you going to learn?” His father's voice never rose, but his tone became even more harsh, if that were possible.

“Appa....”

“Shut up and listen to me, Yongguk.” His father said, turning to make sure the door was shut to prying ears. He pushed it until a resounding click broke the silence, then turned back to look at Yongguk. “Come back with me, Yongguk. Come to America with me.”

“Appa, Ani..” Yongguk shook his head. “Appa, I'm fine.”

“That wasn't a question, Yongguk. I'm already starting on the paperwork. You're going to come stay at the facility with me.”

“Appa!” Yongguk pushed the blankets off himself and stood up. He shook on his feet, but his father made no attempt to steady him. He grabbed hold of his IV pole and pulled himself up. “I'm a grown man. You can't force me to leave...especially not to leave Korea.”

“I am your father.” The man finally lost his temper, his voice coming out in a growl.

“You are no father of mine!” Yongguk yelled, tearing stinging at his eyes suddenly. He pushed them back and cleared his throat.

“Now you listen to me, boy!” His father's voice rose to match his own. “Just because you're nto half of what your brother is doesn't make me any less your father, as much as I hate admitting that.”

“Then don't admit it.” Yongguk snapped back. “You don't want me as a son and I don't want you as a dad. Good enough.”

“Yongguk, that is not true and you know it.” His dad groaned.

“Oh don't I?” Yongguk sat back down in his bed, crossing his arms over his chest and shooting his father an angry look. “I was in the middle of something when you barged in, so if you'd just leave, Sir.”

“The middle of something? You mean something with that child?” His father pointed towards the door, as if motioning towards Zelo. He then sighed, his lips. “Jesus, Yongguk. It's bad enough that you'll date another boy, but a child? Is that kid even legal?”

“We are not dating.” Yongguk responded coolly, “He's a very good friend and we were in the middle of a very important conversation.”

His father smirked a bit, then. “It looked like he was pretty done with the conversation to me. Smart kid, not like that friend you've got. At least the child has sense enough to ditch you sooner.”

Yongguk groaned, clearing his throat and standing up. “Himchan is not a . He's the only person who gives a , unlike you. Now leave. I've got nothing to do with you anymore.”

There was a long silence between the two of them before his father finally spoke up again. “You know that if I walk out of this door right now, I won't be coming back.”

“Good.”

“That means neither will my money.” His father went on. “All the money I send you so you can keep your bills paid and food in your stomach. All gone.”

“I don't need it.”

His father sighed. “Yongguk, this program will be good for you, why don't you just come give it a try...”

“I'm not leaving, Father.” Yongguk's eyes narrowed at the man.

“How will you take care of yourself without my help?” He asked, staring down at Yongguk with a hard, yet amused expression. “Do you think you can rely on that blonde brat to take care of you?”

“Himchan is not a brat!” Yongguk hissed.

“No, he's just a fool.” His father snapped. “A hopeless fool, and what are you going to do when he realizes that you'll never return his feelings?”

Yongguk bit back his response, his heart flipping painfully in his chest. His father smirked, thinking he had won. Yongguk bowed his head, eyes closed as he gave up to his father. It was true. Yongguk had always known it, that at some point Himchan would finally get tired of his and abandon him. Just like his father had when he was young.

“I'm never going to give up on him.” A familiar voice pulled Yongguk's eyes towards the door.

Himchan stood in the doorway, shooting a defiant glare at Yongguk's father. Both men's eyes widened. Himchan crossed the room, placing a hand on Yongguk's shoulder and meeting his eyes. There was an expression there that Yongguk couldn't quite place, but it was gone again as a look of hatred turned towards his dad.

“I'm a lot of things, Mr. Bang. Maybe I am a fool, but you know what? I don't care. Yongguk is my best friend, first and always. No matter what he does, no matter how angry I get at him or how much he disappoints me, I will always love him and he'll always do the same for me. Taking care of each other, putting up with all the bull. No matter what happens, we've got each other's backs. Because that's what love is, not that you would know.”

“Oh, so you think Yongguk loves you?” His father raised an eyebrow at Himchan, his tone a mocking one.

Himchan shrugged, shooting a look over at Yongguk, who just stared at his friend in wide-eyed shock. “I think he does.”

Yongguk's father laughed, a harsh, amused sound. He wiped some tears from his eyes before turning on his son. “Is that how you do it? You trick him into thinking you love him and he just follows you around like a lost puppy?”

“He doesn't trick me.” Himchan spoke up again, before Yongguk had a chance to say anything. “The feelings Yongguk Hyung has for me, they may not be romantic....but that doesn't mean it's not love.” Himchan's hand slid down to take hold of Yongguk's and the older boy squeezed.

Yongguk could feel Himchan shaking. The boy had never really been one for confrontations, but here he was standing up to the scariest man Yongguk knew. Had it been so long since Yongguk had realized how much Himchan actually did for him? The boy was younger, but he was no less Yongguk's hero in that moment because of it.

“So you're happy just letting him use you?” His father started to stutter, running out of insults and pure meanness. In this verbal war, Himchan had him on the ropes.

Himchan his lips. “He doesn't use me. We take care of each other. I would try to explain to you that taking care of each other is what families are supposed to do, but you obviously don't understand the point of a family.”

“What would you know of family, Orphan.” Yongguk's father growled at him.

Himchan released Yongguk's hand, taking a step towards his father. Yongguk could feel the anger suddenly radiating from Himchan, his wrath giving him the strength and courage to stand up to the man. “How is it that an orphan knows more about family than you? Families take care of each other, no matter what. Families protect each other and forgive each other. They don't abandon each other at the first sign of trouble. They don't show up suddenly when things get bad only to insult and hurt each other! Neither of you knows anything about family! You're supposed to love each other!”

Yongguk bit his lip, taking a step forward to stop the now crying boy. “Channie...” He whispered to his friend, wrapping his arms around him and glaring at his father. “I've got all the family I need right here in my arms. I have no need for someone like you, so kindly leave my life.”

The tone in Yongguk's voice made it obviously clear that this conversation was over. His father sneered, looking at the two of them before silently storming out of the room. Himchan waited until the door was shut before he let himself collapse.

Yongguk picked him up, unsteady himself, and helped him over to the bed. Both sat on the edge of it and Himchan kept a hold of Yongguk's hand, playing with the older man's fingers while he calmed himself down.

After a while, he sniffled. “I'm sorry, Yongguk...I shouldn't have blown up at your father like that...”

“Are you kidding?” Yongguk chuckled a bit. “That was the coolest thing I've ever seen you do, Channie. Thank you..”

Himchan sniffled, peeking up at Yongguk. “You're not angry? He'll take away your money...”

Yongguk shrugged. “It's not like I needed it anyway. I haven't spent a penny of the money he's sent me in seven years.”

Himchan's eyes widened just the smallest bit. Yongguk couldn't resist reaching up to ruffle the boy's hair. “I keep the money he sends me seperate from the money I made at my job. It's all in a box under my bed....”

“OH...” Himchan didn't seem to know what to say, which only made Yongguk laugh once more.

“I've got enough there to keep the bills paid until I can talk to the manager about my job. I've probably been fired since I haven't been in two weeks.”

Himchan shrugged, giving Yongguk a shy grin. They sat like that for a while before Himchan spoke again.

“Yongguk?” He looked everywhere but at the older man. “About what he said...about my feelings for you...”

“I know, Himchan.” Yongguk sighed softly, looking away from the boy. He bit his lip. “Just because he brought it up doesn't mean anything is going to change.”

Himchan nodded. Another silence fell, but only for a few minutes before Himchan spoke up again.

“I'm dating again...” His voice was soft, barely a whisper. “I got back together with that guy from before...”

“Oh, really?” Yongguk looked over at Himchan, “The one that hit you?”

Himchan shrugged. “It was an accident. He apologized and everything and we're good now.”

Yongguk gave Himchan an expression, a sort of mixed look of wonder and amusement.

“What?” Himchan pouted, lips twitching up into a smile even as he tried. “You think that just because I love you I can't have feelings for someone else?”

“I never said that.” Yongguk responded, a laugh escaping him.

Himchan slapped his shoulder playfully. “I'm not going to be like some idiot we know and pine away over someone who will never be mine, Yongguk. I'll always love you, but I'm not going to wait around for you. I'm going to go out there and find someone else to love, someone who can love me back.”

“I know.” Yongguk smiled, receiving one in return from his friend. He said nothing more on the subject, giving a heavy sigh and speaking as if none of this had just happened. “I need to talk to Zelo. I really up, Himchan. He thinks I hate him now.”

Himchan nodded, his smile fading. “Don't worry, things will be okay again between the two of you. Do you want me to go find him for you?”

Yongguk nodded, his expression turning into a pleading one. “Please?”

Himchan chuckled, standing up and ruffling Yongguk's hair. “I'll bring him back for you, ok? You just make sure you know what you're going to say to him.”