Here's looking at you, Kid

The List

  “Do did you kiss him?” Himchan jumped on Yongguk the moment he made it back through their apartment door. His grin split from ear to ear as he took one of Yongguk's bags. “Did you bang him?”

“Would you shut up?” Yongguk hissed at his friend, turning to shoot him a glare. “I haven't even made it in the door and you want me to give you a ing story.”

“Not a story!” Himchan pouted, following Yongguk into his room. He sat the bag down on Yongguk's bed and flopped down beside it. “I just want the details.”

Yongguk pulled off his jacket and turned to Himchan. “If you let me shower and change, then I'll tell you all about it, ok?”

“Alright.” Himchan grinned, but made no move to leave.

Yongguk sighed, shaking his head. He stripped the rest of his clothes off and grabbed a towel before going into the bathroom. After he showered and dried, he returned to his room to find that Himchan hadn't moved an inch.

He silently found a pair of sweats to put on and a shirt. He said nothing to Himchan, just to make a point, and then walked out of his room with a devilish smirk on his face.

That made Himchan whine and jump up off the bed to follow him. “Yah! Gukkie!! You said you'd tell me what happened!”

“After my shower.” Yongguk responded, taking a soda from the fridge. It was still a bit too early for a beer. He'd come straight from the hospital after having breakfast with Zelo.

“You just had your shower!” Himchan stopped in front of Yongguk, blocking his path.

“I didn't way when after my shower.” Yongguk teased, pushing Himchan lightly out of the way and walking into the living room.

“That's not fair, Yongguk!” Himchan whined, following him and dropping onto the couch next to the older man.

Yongguk rolled his eyes. “What's there to tell, Himchan?” He asked. “We just camped out on the roof. Made smores, watched the stars...”

Himchan grinned again. “It sounds so romantic. Did you kiss him?”

Yongguk rolled his eyes. “Does it matter?”

“Yes!” Himchan yelled. “Yes it ing matters!”

Yongguk once more rolled his eyes and popped the top on his can of soda. He flipped on the television and didn't say another word.

“Did you confess to him? Did he confess to you? Yongguk, you can't just leave me hanging!” Himchan pouted.

Yongguk sighed. “Fine, fine, if you must know, we kissed.”

Himchan squealed, clapping his hands together. He moved around on the couch to make himself more comfortable. “Did you have ?”

“No!” Yongguk grabbed the nearby pillow and hit Himchan in the head with it. “I already told you that I'm not going to do anything like that with him while he's still sick!”

Himchan pouted and started to speak, “Well, you should reconsider that. What if he doesn't get better? You might not have a chance later..”

Himchan went on speaking, but Yongguk's focus faded away, back into his memories of the night before. His heart caught in his throat as the memory slid back into his mind's eye. Kissing, so much kissing. He recalled the way his lungs burned with the need for air, the feel of Zelo's body as the younger boy crawled into his lap, the blush on his cheeks when they broke apart. He remembered the glitter in Zelo's eyes, laying him down on the blankets under the stars and kissing him more.

“You two did .” Himchan's voice broke back into Yongguk's memory, along with a sharp jab from a finger in his side.

“We did not.” Yongguk shot a glare at Himchan. “We...we might have...I don't know...” Yongguk blushed. “But we didn't. It didn't go any further than kissing.”

Himchan studied Yongguk's features for a moment, appraising the older male. He seemed to like what he saw, and nodded with a smile.

“But how did it happen?” He asked, his voice no longer excited but no less curious.

Yongguk sighed, realizing that he wasn't going to get out of the questioning unless he gave Himchan the answers. So he took a drink of his soda and told Himchan the entire story, sparing no detail even when he blushed so hard that he could hardly bring himself to speak.

“Wait...” Himchan spoke after hearing the story's end. “Don't you have a picture of that list on your phone?”

Yongguk nodded. “How did you know that?”

Himchan shrugged. “I've looked through your phone sometimes.”

Yongguk hit Himchan with the pillow, but then he asked. “Why did you want to kno?”

Himchan held out his hand for the phone. “Because something doesn't seem right to me.”

Yongguk put his phone in Himchan's hand and the younger boy flipped open the gallery, searching through the pictures. “Dude, clear out the .” He muttered, to which he got hit with a pillow again.

Himchan bit his lip as he looked at the list, humming softly and then grunting, giggling once, and then looking up at Yongguk with a wide-eyed expression. “You liar.”

“What?” Yongguk asked, completely confused.

Himchan turned the phone around so that he could see the screen. “You said that neither of you confessed.”

“We didn't?” Yongguk asked, and then looked at the picture, taking the phone away from. He looked at it, reading over the list, trying to figure out what Himchan meant. As he read number eight on the list, though, it all clicked into place for him.

“Fall in love...” Yongguk looked up at Himchan. “He..he said..”

“He said that you'd already done everything on the list but kissing.” Himchan smirked.

Yongguk looked down at the list, eyes wide and a blush painting his cheeks. “He's in love with me.”

“And you're in love with him.”

“Shut up!” Yongguk snapped, slapping Himchan across the face once more with the pillow. “I need to think”

“Think about what?” Himchan asked.

Yongguk responded by hitting him with the pillow again and standing up, leaving his soda half finished on the coffee table. Ignoring Himchan's calls, he walked down the hallway and into his bedroom just as a loud clap of thunder shot through the building.

The walls seemed to rattle with the force of the thunder. Yongguk peeked out the window. Rain poured down in thick white sheets, leaving no room to see anything more than the reflection of his own face in the glass.

He sighed and fell down onto his bed. He cursed himself, for not having realized it before. With as many times as he'd looked at that list, he should have remembered something so important. He laid on his bed, then, for a few hours, simply thinking. He remembered everything he could about Zelo, from his smile to his laugh, the way his golden hair felt beneath his fingers. He recalled his tears, and the feel of holding him tightly in his arms.

His memories were interrupted, once more. This time, by the ringing of a phone, He rolled over and pulled his cell phone off the nightstand where he'd left it.

“Hello?” He asked, not recognizing the number.

“Hyung.” The familiar voice came to him with a laugh.

Yongguk smiled. “Zelo, I was just thinking about you.”

A small pause, and Zelo spoke again, hesitant. “Hyung...you said that if I needed you that you'd always come, right? Even if it's raining?”

Yongguk's smile fell at the distress in Zelo's voice. “Zelo? What's wrong?”

“I'm scared, Hyung...” Zelo nearly whispered into the phone. A crack of thunder paused the conversation and Yongguk heard Zelo scream. The sound came muffled, with a loud crack in his ear, as if Zelo had dropped the phone.

He heard a scrambling, a shuffle, and then Zelo's voice came clear in the receiver once more. “The power went out, Hyung.”

“What?” Yongguk pushed himself up off the bed. “What about the backup generators?”

“They're powering the equipment, but most of the lights are still off.” Zelo's voice faltered. “I'm using one of the nurses phones to call you, hyung..it's the only light I've got right now...”

“I'll be there as soon as I can, Zelo.” Yongguk responded, grabbing his coat.

“Thank you, Hyung.” He whimpered.

Yongguk threw on the jacket and ran to the door. “Keep the phone on you, Zelo. I'll call you again as soon as I get to the hospital.”

“Alright Hyung.” Zelo agreed and then they both hung up.

Yongguk shoved on a pair of boots nearby as Himchan leaned over the couch to look at him.

“Are you going out in this storm?” He asked, and Yongguk nodded.

“Zelo's at the hospital alone and the power's gone out. I need to go make sure he's alright.”

“Take a flashlight with you.” Himchan told him, opening a drawer of the table beside the couch. He pulled out a flashlight and tossed it to Yongguk.

He caught it and shoved it into his pocket with a thanks and rushed out the door. He groaned and put the hood of his coat up, though it helped him little. The rain fell in sheets, soaking him through to the core in the short amount of time it took him to get from the front door to the car.

He shook the water from his hair as he shut the car door and reached for the towel to dry himself a bit before leaving. He turned the heater all the way up and put the windsheild wipers on maximum. Even the lights shone on the brightest setting just so he could see four feet in front of him as he pulled out onto the road.

Driving went slow, with only the sound of the heavy rainfall to keep him entertained on the trecherous drive. Every channel on the radio played a severe weather warning, urging people to stay inside and off the roads while the storm was raging. Yongguk turned it off after a while, glaring into the whiteness ahead of him.

He drove ten miles under the speed limit, though cars passed him on either side and eventually, when he was just a few streets away from the hospital, he sped up.

Then everything went black.

No light shone from the traffic light and Yongguk never knew to stop. He didn't see the truck. The truck didn't see him. The car flipped, twisted and crashed, down the overpass and off it.

Yongguk groaned, blinking the dust out of his eyes. Everything hurt, mostly his throbbing head. He felt odd, a tugging in the back of his neck, but he could see nothing. Only when he tried to move and found he couldn't did he realize that he was upside down.

He coughed, pulling his hand away from his mouth. Blood. His memory was foggy. He didn't remember crashing. He didn't know how long he'd been out, but it could only have been minutes. His car's clock had faltered and stopped. The lights shined forward into the white sheet of rain and only then did Yongguk feel the sharp sting of it against the side of his face.

He put his hand on the roof of the car in an attempt to brace himself. The blood rushed to his head and made him dizzy, his vision going dark around the edges. He coughed again, broken glass digging into his hand as he fumbled for the seatbelt clasp.

The seatbelt came undone and flung away from him, his body sank, but did not fall from the seat and he screamed, loud and painful. The car bent around his leg, trapping it by the peddals. He would not be able to get out, and his vision blurred.

A sense of dread filled him then, and a sad smile fell across his face. He looked around him, taking his cellphone from where it laid beside his head.

He dialed a number, slow and careful, and smiled when he heard the sweet voice on the other end.

“Hyung?” Zelo picked up after a single ring. “Are you here?”

“Sorry, Zelo.” Yongguk coughed. “I don't think I'm going to make it...”

“What? Why?” Yongguk could hear the sadness in his voice. “Is it raining to hard for you to drive? Don't come if it's too dangerous.”

“I'd come to you for anything in the world, Junhong.” He smiled, seeing a light flickering in front of his face. “Hey, Junhongie. I have a question.”

“Yes, Hyung?” He could see the curious pout on the boy's face, his hat on his head though no one could see him and his hair had started to grow back. Yongguk smiled.

“When you said that I helped you do everything on the list.” Yongguk paused to cough, blood trickling down his cheeks. “Did you mean that? Even the falling in love?”

“Wh..what?”

“Junhong, do you love me?” Yongguk asked, more desperately this time. “Please, I need to know.”

“I...Hyung...” He could hear the way Zelo bit his lip. The light before him flickered brighter and he realized what it was. Fire. The engine was on fire.

Yongguk blinked, smiled, chuckled. “Here's looking at you, Kid.”

The line went dead with a loud, firey bang.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, guys. My finger is still broken and there was this huge storm that blew through my town. It made the national news! 40,000 people without power. We just got power back after 2 days without. Good news is that I got alot of reading done. (the entire fellowship of the ring book) I know you guys are gonna be super sad after reading this chapter, or angry, but I want you all to know that this was going to happen since the very beginning of the story....hehehe..sorry guys..but don't worry, there's still one more chapter left...