Ch.14- Don't Leave Me Behind

You're Next My Love II

Haeun's POV:

"Hey," Jongin smiled at me as if it was normal. My heart beat rocketed immeditally as his voice hit my ears and I could hear Sungwoo stand up through the sound of his chair screeching against the floor.

"What are you doing here," Sungwoo said in a low and dark voice that almost made me shudder.

"Why not?" Jongin set the tray down in front of me as if he really worked here. 

"Haeyeon, let's go somewhere else," Sungwoo pulled me up by my arm and we started walking towards the door, but Jongin grabbed my other free arm making me feel stuck between the two guys. Customers around us began to stare and I could tell that some of them were watching who Jongin was. 

"Isn't that Kai?"

"Kai from EXO?"

"The cute one yeah!"

"Those two guys are both cute.."

"I like the other guy.."

"Who's that girl?"

"Maybe a girlfriend?"

"She's pretty...but I can't really see her face..."

"Maybe she's a trainee!?"

"Let's not do this here," Sungwoo muttered to Jongin who was starting to show an uneasy facial expression. "You'll only attract more attention.."

Slowly Jongin released my arm and I could feel Sungwoo tug on me the other direction. I didn't know where we were going, but I was guessing we were going to another secluded place so we could talk. Jongin followed us quietly without saying anything, but the whole time we were walking, he was staring at me intently. 

We suddenly stopped in the middle of an alleyway. Sungwoo pulled me close to him and faced Jongin who had a somewhat distant look in his eyes.

"Why are you here?" Sungwoo said straightforwardly. "How could you just randomly show up in such a public place? Do you know how much trouble you would've been in?!"

I stared at Jongin waiting for an answer. In fact, I had many unanswered questions that needed to be answered from him. Why did he disappear? Where did he go? Do he have anything to do with Sohee's incident? Is there some connection to another person that I'm not aware of? Why didn't he tell me where he was going and make me worry to death? Does he know anything abotu Kris leaving? Does he still love me?

"It's fine, Youngmin-hyung would've taken care of it anyway," Jongin shrugged looking like he didn't really care. "Besides, is it wrong for me to not see my girlfriend?"

My body shivered when he said "girlfriend." I wasn't his anymore. I was Baekhyun's. 

"You do realize this isn't your girlfriend right?" Sungwoo tried to snicker, but I could hear the stiffness in his voice.

"Who do you think you're kidding?" Jongin's eyes narrowed. "I know everything."

Everything?

"..." Sungwoo became quiet as Jongin seemed to chuckle to himself. For some odd reason, the way Jongin was acting made me feel like I had to protect myself. The aura he was giving off was a completely different feeling from the old Jongin. His eyes showed hungeriness as if he was staring at a full course meal. This isn't the Jongin I know...

"Can I talk to my girlfriend or no?" Jongin stepped closer to us, but Sungwoo pushed me behind him to shield me. His broad shoulders covered half of my vision, but when I looked at Jongin, he was glaring at us.

"Move," Jongin said in a low voice.

"No," Sungwoo replied with confidence. "Why should I? It's not like she wants to talk to you."

"Why are you speaking for her?"

"..."

"Haeun, will you talk with me?"

I was startled at the sound of my name and blinked a few times to make sure it was directed at me.

"...why..." I replied in a small voice. 

"C'mon Haeun...You're the only one who will listen to me," Jongin pleaded in a desperate voice. Sungwoo glanced over at me waiting for my answer. It was like I was being forced to choose between something bad and something good. 

"Then...I'll...talk from behind Sungwoo..." I replied clutching onto Sungwoo's shirt. 

"I won't do anything to you," Jongin raised his hands in surrender. "How could you think I would ever hurt you?"

"Jongin..." 

"Please...I just want to see your face...i want to see you.."

My hand tightened around Sungwoo's shirt. I bit my bottom lip hard trying to think of the best solution. I guess there's no turning back...

Slowly, I moved from behind Sungwoo, to the front of him. I still kept close to him in case Jongin tried to make a wrong move. Immeditally, Jongin's facial expression softened and I could've sworn I saw the old Jongin whom I used to be in love with, but the more I stared, the more it turned into someone I didn't know.

"You've changed," Jongin said in a soft voice showing a small smile. "You changed your hair too..."

"Yeah..." I replied with a steady voice. 

"I missed you."

"I..did too."

"..."

"..."

"Do you not have anything else to say to me?"

"..."

"..."

"Jongin."

"yes?"

"Why...did you disappear?"

"..."

I looked Jongin straight in the eyes hoping to hear a truthful answer.

"Do you know how worried I was...." 

"Of course I knew."

"Then why...everyone was worried..."

"Oh.."

"Do you know how much I thought about you? Did you eat well? Where did you go? Where did you stay? Have you heard about Sohee?"

"I ate well...I was safe...and I have heard about Sohee..."

He seemed to be avoiding the "where did you stay" question, but I didn't press him anymore. I wasn't at ease yet.

"Then let me ask you...why are you here in front of me now?" I spoke feeling my voice tighten. "Why not earlier?"

Jongin sighed. "You really have changed..."

"Of course I have, I couldn't wait for you forever....you were the one who let me go in the first place...and...and you lied to me back at the mansion when i lost my memory....you never told me Baekhyun and I were together...nor did you tell me we broke up....just what are you after?" The words just seemed to flow out of me like a waterfall and I couldn't stop my emotions from running wild.

"You," he spoke with a weird tone in his voice. "I want you."

"what..what do you mean?" I stepped back a little to make sure Sungwoo's presence was still there. A warm hand covered my shoulder giving me a comforting squeeze.

"Come back to me," Jongin opened his arms wide with a familiar smile. I felt my body lean forward, but I pulled myself together and ignored the impulse. Jongin's face flinched with saddness.

"Jongin..." I spoke shaking my head. "I'm...no longer Haeun...I am Park Haeyeon....I have a new life...a new start...new friends..."

Jongin's arms drifted downward along with his smile. 

"Start new with us," I lifted my hand towards him. "You come back to us."

Jongin seemed like he wanted to take the offer, but something shadowed over his face as he shook his head.

"Haeun....I would love to...but I can't...after what I've done...I can't...." jongin showed me one of the saddest smiles I had ever seen. It made my heart ache terribly making me want to run over to him and hug him, but I told myself I couldn't do that. Not with this weird Jongin.

"What do you mean..."

"If I told you, you'd never forgive me," he spoke quietly. "I have to leave now...my times up..."

Before I could yell for him to stop, he ran away in the opposite direction from us and vanished.