Chapter 49

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This is a joke, right? Are you getting me back for calling you a pig because this isn't funny. How much did you pay him to play this little prank?" Himchan asked with a disbelieving laugh.

Eun Ah couldn't speak and just felt the world around her spin. How could Himchan be here brother? She couldn't believe that she was living under the same roof as her brother for 4 months without knowing.

She couldn't believe that she even had a brother. She was an only child for all her life.  

Yongguk's jaw fell open as the truth came to light. He remembered learning about Himchan being an orphan and a few months ago he had found a sheet for a maternity test shoved in Himchan's pocket.

Himchan's smile slowly evaporated as he took in everyone's expression and just shook his head.

"No. No. No. No. No. No. This doesn't make sense. Th-this isn't true. What kind of bull is going on here?" Himchan barked as he fell down to the floor.

Woon nodded solemnly, "I'm sorry for not telling you, but this is the truth. Your mom gave you up for adoption a few months after you were born so I sent you to the orphanage and visited you every day until you were old enough to leave. That's how the owner of the ramen shop knew me, she used to work at the orphanage and she saw me drop Himchan off. she knew that Eun Ah existed and I bet when you stumbled into her shop, she gave you a job there on purpose. She was always furious that I never found Eun Ah and that I hid the truth from Himchan. I'm so sorry."

"You're sorry? You've known me for 27 years and it never crossed your mind that to tell me that I might have a living relative? THAT I MIGHT HAVE A ING SISTER?!" He yelled, his eyes slowly glazing over.

"I-I wanted to, but I thought she was dead!" Woon cried helplessly.

"That's your defence? You thought she was dead? You knew how badly I wanted to find my mom and dad, my family, and you just kept it to yourself? Didn't you feel bad for me? Or was this whole thing just some ing joke to you?!"

Eun Ah couldn't find the words to speak and just stared wordlessly at Himchan. She could see it now. If she looked hard enough, she could see it.

They had the same sharp nose and narrow jaw. She had her mother's large bright eyes and he had her father's wide lips. They both had her mother's foul mouth and snarky words but he had her father's presence.

Her heart started beating too fast for her chest and a rush of confused thoughts filled her mind.

"It was never a joke! I cared about your parents just as much I cared for you!" He shouted back.

"IF YOU REALLY CARED FOR ME THEN YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THE TRUTH!" Himchan yelled as he threw a mug across the room.

The cup hit the wall and shattered into a thousand pieces, making everyone in the room jump.

Silence filled the room until Himchan's head slowly moved to face Eun Ah.

"This means they're dead right? You said your parents were dead."

"O-our parents." She said, her voice trembling.

Himchan chuckled, but his voice didn't sound happy. "Right. I almost forgot."

"W-woon said that dad might be alive." She said quietly.

Himchan winced at the way that she called the man 'dad', as if she expected Himchan to know who he was or the kind of man he was.

"Great. I'll make sure to shake his hand when I meet him for the first time."

Hell, he didn't even know what he looked like.

Himchan felt the scared, vulnerable 7 year old kid resurface when he wondered if his dad looked like him. If he missed him or even thought about him all the time that they had been separated.

He could already hear the man saying 'Are you Himchan? Are you my son?' when they first meet and it made him want to laugh.

He'd be the only father in the world who wouldn't recognize his son.

"Why are their surnames different then?" Yongguk asked his mind running wildly. He couldn't believe that he had met, not only his father-in-law, but the long lost father of his best friend.

How did all of this happen.

Eun Ah's eyebrows started furrowing, "Yeah, I saw the document, it said Himchan's mother's name was Kim Hae Yong. How is she the same person?"

Woon cleared his throat and pulled out a final sheet. He passed it to Eun Ah who was sitting closest to him. Her hands were shaking as she unfolded the sheet.

"Your mother was in Witness Protection remember? Eun Yong isn't her real name. It was Kim Hae Yong.  Since your father was a police officer he kept his identity because he needed to keep his ties in the force. Your mother, however, needed an alias because Ryu knew too much about her. Eun Yong was her alias."

Eun Ah covered with her hands as tears lined her eyes for the fifth time.

"She made Himchan take her maiden name because she wanted to leave a  part of herself behind with him." Woon finished with a breath.

Himchan started clapping with a smile on his lips, "That's a great ing story I'm so glad I stuck around to hear it but I'm tired so I'm going to sleep."

Eun Ah frowned and glared at him, "What the hell are you doing? We just found out that we’re related and you just learned about your parents."

Himchan stared at her with disappointed eyes, "You mean the two people that had and popped me out before throwing me away? What else do I need to ing know?"

"Don't talk about them like that!" Eun Ah said, rushing to defend her parents.

Their parents.

"Oh right, I wouldn't want daddy's ing princess to get her feelings hurt." He said with a shake of his head.

"Stop acting like this! Why can't you act mature for one second? Don't you want to know about them? A-about me?"

There weren't enough fingers in the world to count how many times Himchan had picked on Eun Ah with. He'd always make fun of her and give her a hard time, but the heartless look he was giving her was like nothing she had ever seen.

It scared her.

"I've already learned everything I could ever need to know about you and them."

"And you don't have any questions?" She asked, her frown still growing.

Himchan stood in silence before turning to face her.

"Why? Why you? What was so good about you? Why did they keep you instead of me? Why did they throw me away? What's so great about you? Are those enough questions?"

"Do you think it was easy for me either? I've spent 10 years alone, on the streets after seeing my parents dying in front f my eyes." She said in irritation.

"The 10 years that you had to go through will never be anything like the 27 years I had to go through, so never ever compare us. You aren't the only one that was alone. Just because we share the same blood doesn't mean you're related to me. We may share the same parents, but you're not my sister. You will never be my sister." He spat furiously at her.

"Himch--"

"I hate you." He deadpanned.

Eun Ah's eyes widened and her heart dropped."What?"

His body, just slightly, started to quake. "I hate you. I never want to see you again. I hate you so much."

"Himchan, I understan--"

"You don't understand anything! At least you got those 16 years with them, at least you had the time and memories with them, all I have is an eroding picture taken 27 years ago that I stole from my foster home file when I was 18. You got to live with them, eat breakfast with them, watch movies, go to the park, be their child. Me? Looks like I was just a mistake that they wanted to forget ever happened."

"THAT'S NOT TRUE! They loved you so damn much that they would rather give you up and let Ryu come after them than put you in harm's way! Mom got a tattoo just to remind herself of you. To remind herself of what she had to give up! The only reason that they kept me was because they didn't have a ing choice. If Ryu hadn't already learned of my existence then we'd probably meet at that orphanage together."

"How would you know? For someone who had 16 years with them, it sounds like you knew nothing about them." Himchan's words slapped her so hard across the face that she missed the softened look in his eyes.

Yongguk felt an urge of protectiveness at Himchan's antagonizing tone. He knew the man was dealing with his own problems and was thrown into a new world. And Yongguk knew better than anyone that Himchan hated tears. He hated seeming weak, but Yongguk couldn't help himself when he saw heartbreak in Eun Ah's eyes.

"Cut it out Himchan." He said scarily.

The soft look burned into a cold eye roll, "You stay the out of this. This doesn't concern you so back off."

Yongguk opened his mouth to spit back at him but Eun Ah abruptly stood up, her hands fisted, started shaking.

"I'm going to get some fresh air."  She said coolly, avoiding eye contact with anyone in the room. Yongguk stood up to follow her but she just frowned.

"Alone."

Yongguk felt his heart tighten at her words. He wanted to help her but he just felt so useless. He knew that anything he said would just bounce off of her. She didn't need fake words or advice, she needed results, something tangible, but he didn't know how to give that to her.

He knew that he was the least of her problems, but he didn't want to leave her alone. She had the right to be given space, but Yongguk wasn't sure if he'd be able to stay away.

He didn't want her to go anywhere without him.

She bowed in Woon's direction while keeping her eyes on the ground before heading t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter