Chapter 42

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk raced down the ER at top speed with Himchan on his tail, weaving through nurses, doctors and patients as he searched for room 314.

He had gotten the shock of his life when Jongup called from the hospital saying that he had found her.

Shot.

No.no.no.no.no.no.

It was every worst case scenario he had ever imagined, playing out before him in real life. He just needed a glimpse of her, just to know she was really here.

He was in such a rush that he hadn't heard anything other than the name of the hospital. His eyes were burning and his heart was suffocating with worry as he counted down the doors.

310, 311.

He didn't want to know what horrible events that led up to her getting shot. He just wanted to know if she was okay.

He needed her to be okay or he'd never forgive himself.

312,313.

Himchan didn't even bother telling Yongguk to slow down and just tried to match his speed as they reached the end of the hallway.

314.

His steps slowed down when he saw the other members waiting in front of the door. Yongmi and Junhong were sitting in chairs with bloodshot eyes and Daehyun and Yongjae were standing in front of them, talking quietly, all donning sombre expressions.

His eyes landed on Jongup who was slouched against the wall with his head in his hands and it felt like time slowed down.

Everyone looked up and stared at Yongguk as he stumbled towards Jongup and fisted his shirt.

"I-I." Jongup said, choked up as Yongguk fell to his knees to get a better look at his clothes.

"Is this all hers?" He asked, tears pooling in his eyes. He released a sob when he saw Jongup's top drenched in blood.

No one said a word as Yongguk continued to stare at Jongup's shirt, every part of his body shaking. "Wh-what happened? Wh-where is she? I need to see her!"

Jongup couldn't do anything but shake his head. Daehyun stepped up to him and place his hand on Yongguk's shoulder.

"She was beat pretty badly. A few broken ribs, an inflamed ankle, a nasty cut on her hand and eye and a lot of bruising. The bullet grazed her stomach but it missed all her vital organs. She's resting now but she's going to pull through."

"God." Yongguk gripped his hair, hissing in pain because of his bruised knuckles.

"It was because of me. She took the shot for me."

But Yongguk didn't care. It wasn't why she got shot, it was simply the fact that she got shot. He didn't hold any contempt for Jongup. If only he had been there, then none of it would've happened.

Himchan shook his head and ruffled Jongup's hair, "It's not your fault. You didn't mean for this to happen. Don't go blaming yourself."

"She's going to be fine. She's hurt and traumatized, but at least she's alive. " Daehyun said thoughtfully.

"NO! She's not going to be fine. She was beaten. My wife was tortured and shot at and I wasn't there to do anything. For someone who loves her, I did one hell of a job showing it." Tears fell aggressively down his face when his fingers unclasped Jongup's shirt. "I didn't do anything."

Everyone watched him painfully. For all the years that they had known him, they had never seen him cry or break down.

"Why her? How could I let this happen?"

Why did I have to fall in love with her and ruin everything?

Himchan growled and lifted Yongguk from the ground and slammed him against the wall. "You need to stop mourning and be there for her. That's a lot of ing pain she's dealing with and you need to be there."

Yongguk looked up from the ground and stared tiredly at Himchan. "It was my fault."

"Then make it up to her."

Yongguk looked away tearfully, in the direction of her room and imagine her on the other side of the door, so close but not close enough.

"I can't."

-----

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Eun Ah eye's slowly blinked open and stared at the grey ceiling above her. Her eyes shifted into focus as she tried to adjust to her surroundings. She saw the heart monitor beside her and put two and two together

I'm alive.

"She's awake!"

Her eyes flashed up to see Junhong's face staring down, brightly, at hers.

"EUN AH!"

She groaned and tried to sit up when she was restrained by wires. She flinched in pain when she flexed her stomach and lifted up her hospital gown to see the cause.

Her stomach was wrapped up but she could feel the tight outline of the bullet hole in her lower abdomen.  She winced when she took a sharp breath and lifted the gown higher to see even tighter bandaged wrapped around her torso near her ribs.

"Eun Ah, do you know who I am?" Junhong asked in concern when she didn't reply.

Eun Ah gave him a confused look, still getting used to her surroundings before Yongjae answered for her.

"You do realized that she was shot in the stomach and not the head, right? She can't have amnesia."  Junhong breathed out in relief and turned back to her.

"Thank God. I was not prepared for that."

She reached up and touched her face that was covered in an oxygen mask.  She fingers moved higher up and brushed the gauze that was wrapped around her head, covering her eye. Her arm had an IV stuck in it and her other hand was plastered over her cut.

She stretched her hand and could feel the stitches pull her skin back.  She knew she was bruised and hurt but it felt like her was being put back together and that made the pain more bearable. She lifted her other hand to look at and started gasping for air.  She pulled her mask down and started shaking.

"What's wrong?"

"Ring. Where's my ring? Why isn't it here?" She started ranting hysterically. Yongjae left the room to call a doctor while the other members crowed around her.

"Someone took my ring. I need it, now. GIVE ME MY RING!" She demanded.

Yongmi fumbled around in her purse before brandishing out Eun Ah's wedding ring.

"Here, here. The doctors took off any metal before your operation."

Eun Ah sighed in relief and slid it back on.

"How are you feeling?" Yongmi asked softly, helping Eun Ah sit up without moving her propped up leg.

"Better, I guess. What happened?" She moved her head slowly, trying not to get too dizzy. It was hard to face people when one of her eyes were wrapped up.

"Jongup brought you to an ambulance and you're in the hospital now.  You've been an two hours out of surgery. They took the bullet out and you'll be fine." Himchan said.

Eun Ah nodded slowly. She felt a lot better but soreness and numbness still rang out through her body sp she could only imagine how much morphine and painkillers she was one at the moment.

"Thank God you finally woke up, Jongup was losing his mind out there. You really took your sweet time, didn't you?" Daehyun said snottily.

Eun Ah snorted and looked at Jongup who was staring shyly at the ground. "Thank you, Jongup. For everything."

The boy jerked his head up in surprise and was taken aback by the sincerity in her eyes. After they way he treated her in the past and all that he had caused, she chose to thank him.

A look to understanding was passed between them as she forgave him for his past cold shoulders and as he accepted her as a member of his family.

"You're welcome. I kinda owed you."

The doctor interrupted them and came in with Yongjae to give Eun Ah a check up. He checked her vitals and advised her to stay at the hospital for a few nights so a few tests could be run and told her how to look after herself.  The doctor finished by telling her to get some rest before nodding at everyone and stepping out of the room.

They all bombarded her with questions, stories and excitement over her recovery and she was eager to soak in all their faces and every word they said.

God, she missed them terribly.  

Yongmi and Daehyun had slipped out to pick up some of her clothes and buy food that, as they put it, "Didn't taste like the cardboard you get here." And Jongup tagged along to pick up his bike and grab a change of clothes so that people didn't think he was an axe murderer.

Her heart started strumming at high speed, when she stared down at her ring. Ever since she woke up, there was only one person on her mind, the same person whose presence was missing.

"W-where's Yongguk?"

Everyone in the room froze at her question and suspicious glances were passed until Yongjae blurted out a response.

"He had some errands to run, so he won't be here until later."

Eun Ah's heart dropped as she twisted her blanket in her hands, "W-what?"

Everyone winced when they realized how that sounded.

He's too busy to see me?

Or does he just not want too?

"Umm, I'm sure he'll be here soon. He was worried sick about you, noona. You should've seen him." Junhong said lightly.

Eun Ah nodded with a fake smile and looked back at her ring. She could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter