Chapter 35

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah stood in the kitchen the next morning and poured a cup of whipped eggs into the frying pan.

 

Her hands were on autopilot because her mind was drifting far away.

 

Kyung was leaving today.

 

Yongguk had woke her up when he got a text from his mother saying that she would coming back to Seoul a day early to pick Kyung up.

 

She apparently, wasn't too thrilled with having her young son staying with a house of strangers so she cancelled her last meetings to fly down a day early.

 

She guessed that she should've been relieved that the mom cared enough to come back early, but it still made her glum.

 

She tossed pieces of bacon on the egg, the way Yongguk always made it, and flipped the egg over.

 

He should stop eating so much fat, it can't be that good for him.

 

She sighed as she moved it to a plate.  She just wasn't ready to say goodbye to the little boy, he had become a member of their family and soon he was just going to walk out of all their lives.

 

 "You don't have to look so depressed you know." Eun Ah looked over and saw Yongguk leaning against the doorframe, watching her sulk by the stove.

 

She tried to regulate her heartbeat when her mind flashed to last night, but the thought of Kyung shook her out of it.

 

"Aren't you going to miss him too?"

 

Yongguk made his way over to her and stood by her side when she handed him his plate.

 

"You should cut down, by the way, you're going to get fat and then die."

 

He chuckled and bumped her shoulder before grabbing a fork. "Don't worry, I always remember to work out because I'm scared my wife will leave me for someone with a better body."

 

She scowled and gently punched him in the shoulder. "Just answer the damn question."

 

Yongguk took a bite and thought about it, "It's not that I'm not going to miss him, but we aren't his real parents and this isn't his real family. You knew he couldn't stay with us forever. He needs to go to his real home. And who knows, maybe she'll let him visit."

 

Eun Ah's shoulders sagged. "I know, you're right, but it still ."

 

Yongguk gave her a small smile and fixed the collar of her shirt again. "If you want, we could get you a dog." She made a face at him that he replied to with a chuckle.

 

"If you two are going to miss the little scamp so much, why not just make a kid of your own?"

 

Eun Ah turned around and glared at Daehyun. "You know what? Just for that little comment, you can make you own stupid breakfast you useless idiot."

 

Daehyun grumbled and flung the fridge open, mumbling something along the lines of "Those two are meant for each other."

 

-----

 

Eun Ah stayed near the door with Kyung, waiting for his mother. Yongguk went upstairs to grab something from his study before the younger boy left.

 

"Are you going to miss me?" Eun Ah asked as she bent down to fix Kyung's backpack. He was holding the toy Yongguk won for him in his hands while his old one was tucked into his backpack.

 

"Yup!  I'm going to miss noona and hyung so much." He said with a cute smile.

 

Eun Ah wanted to frown and run away with Kyung for her own. He was just so cute.

 

"Do you like me more or Yongmi more?"

 

Kyung's eyes widened and they darted around the room. "Uhhhhh..."

 

"Kyung." She said in a fake stern tone.

 

"But you love Yongguk hyung, I can't win. At least Yongmi noona is still single."

 

"I...love him?"

 

"Duh! You love him since you're married."

 

Eun Ah blinked at the boy as a red blush crept up her cheeks without her knowledge.

 

How does he know about that stuff?

 

"My mom isn't in love because she isn't married."

 

Eun Ah looked down and saw Kyung's sad look. "I wish mom was in love so she could be happy."

 

Eun Ah pulled Kyung into her embrace and hugged him close to her. "I bet your mom is the happiest mom in the world because she has you as her son."

 

Kyung smiled and they spent the next little while playing around when she heard a knock on the door. She swallowed the growing lump down and stood up.

 

She was going to miss him like crazy.

 

Eun Ah opened the door with a smile which slowly fell off her face when she saw the mother's angry face.

 

"Are you Hwang Eun Ah?" The woman spat out.

 

"Uh..yes, that's me." She said slowly.

 

The woman looked her up and down, her frown never leaving her face. "Where's Kyung?"

 

Eun Ah gulped and slowly stepped aside and called for Kyung who ran up to her before he saw his mom.

 

"Mom!" Eun Ah smiled when Kyung launched into his mother who held her arms out open. Her previous cold face melted at the sight of her son.

 

After they reunited, the woman looked up at her with a cold look. "I hope you realize how inappropriate it was for you to take another person's child. To think that there are people like you in this world."

 

Eun Ah stared at her, stunned, "P-pardon?"

 

"I should've reported you for kidnapping my son. You're disgusting." She sneered. Kyung sensed the hostile tension and hid behind his mom.

 

"Mom..."

 

"B-but, I spoke to the daycare teacher. I gave them all my information. I just didn't want him to go to child services. I didn't take him against his will."

 

The woman scoffed, "Are you saying that I'm a bad parent? Just because I had work doesn't mean he's going to go to child services."

 

Eun Ah nodded, "Yes, I understand Ms.Moon. I didn't say anything about you being a bad parent. We made sure to take good care of him. I was just worried for Kyung."

 

The woman raged and struck Eun Ah across the cheek. "Don't talk to him like he's yours."

 

Kyung screamed when Eun Ah's eyes watered at the impact. She had been slapped at the warehouse, but she had never been slapped because someone thought she did wrong. She tried swallowing the humiliation down.

 

"What the hell is going on!" Yongguk's voice boomed when he came down the stairs to see her raise her hand to Eun Ah.

 

"Hyyyuuuuunnnggggg!" Kyung wailed when he caught sight of the older man.

 

"Tell your wife to mind her own business next time and to stay away from other people's children. Get off your high horse and stop acting like you're some amazing person, doing the world a favour. You're just some psycho."

 

Eun Ah's eyes watered and she opened , but Yongguk cut her off.

 

"I'm sorry ma'am, if you feel upset by the fact that this woman selflessly took care of your child when he had no one else. I understand that it must be unsettling for you, but it was either with us or at some orphanage until you got back. So unless you wanted your five year old son to go through that, I suggest you apologize to her and then thank her for taking care of your kid like he was her own when you didn't make plans for him. You do realize that it's was a daycare that doesn't let kids stay overnight. We didn't have to help Kyung, but he's a good kid and my wife felt bad for him, so she actually helped you out."

 

Yongguk spoke firmly but with understanding. He looked down at Eun Ah and saw her bright red cheek and suddenly his demeanour changed.

 

"If anyone is going to police about anything, it should us charging you with assault. Do you really think you're setting the best example by using violence in front of your son? What message do you think you're sending when he sees his mother hitting someone else when she's mad? I don't care if you yell and throw a fit, but don't think I'll just sit by quietly when you just touched my wife like that. No one lays a finger on her. No one."

 

The other members, excluding Jongup, came downstairs when they heard people talking, to say goodbye to Kyung, but then they noticed that the atmosphere wasn't as pleasant as they expected. Especially when they noticed Eun Ah's red cheek.

 

The woman opened but words didn't leave. She just stared at Eun Ah's red cheek and suddenly guilt filled her eyes at the realization of what she had done. The previous anger slowly faded.

 

Tears filled her eyes as she looked at Eun Ah, "Oh God, I'm so sorry. It's just, I was so scared and I didn't know who you people were an-and--"

 

"It's okay." Eun Ah said quietly. "I understand. No harm done. Maybe we can just forget this happened."

 

"No, no, I'm not a teenager, I shouldn't have lashed out and hit you." The woman's voice started cracking and her body sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter