Nouvelle Porte

The Singing Violin

-Nouvelle Porte, New Door-

Chaerin shocked to see the poster attached into the college news board.

"A scholarship to Paris!!!" Jaemi hugged her bestfriend as Chaerin's jaw hung open.

"We need to sign!" Nana squaled over her social-high-uptown girl friends.

"Of course," one of them said as Chaerin hardly remembered their name.

This was the way to reach her dream. A new door presented by God.

"I need to go," Chaerin said as she walked to the teacher's room along with Jaemi who trailed her behind.

"Mr. Jung!" Chaerin greeted her usual lecturer.

"Have you seen the poster?"

"I have and you know what I mean."

"This is the form. You can ask one too from your lecturer, Jaemi," Mr. Jung said as Jaemi and Chaerin's eyes sparked to see the form.

"Thank you soo much!" Chaerin bowed and accompanied Jaemi to her lecturer.

At last they got the form and they got back to their bedroom to fill it personally.

***

"This is the way to survive!!" Luhan said as they stared at the huge poster.

Kyung Soo's eyes widened twice from its original size.

"This is... Oh I need the form!" Xiumin ran to find his lecturer.

"Me too!" Sehun and Jongin ran to the lecturer room.

"Do you want to try?" Kris said as Suho nodded.

"How about you?" Suho asked Kyung Soo.

"I maybe try it," Kyung Soo gazed as he read the qualification for singer.

"Well we too," Suho asked Kyung Soo and Kris to follow him to the same destination as everyone.

***

Chaerin stared at her phone that Monday night. She finished filling the form and putted in on the desk neatly. She decided to call someone.

"Hello?" a familiar voice greeted her.

"Have you seen the poster?" Chaerin asked.

"Yeah. Already got the form?" Kyung Soo asked as he held his form.

"Hu-uh. So what about you?"

"Already held one."

"Fine then."

They stayed silent for few seconds, didn't know what to say to each other.

"Bubble tea?" They stunned when they asked the same question.

"Woah. What made you say that?" Chaerin awed in amusement.

"I don't know but I just want to ask you to have bubble tea," Kyung Soo said.

"How about asking Kyung Jae to go with us? Kyung Won oppa can help you stay in home for your mother and we'll buy something for her too!" Chaerin said.

"Don't call him oppa," Kyung Soo said sharply.

"He's older than me."

"Me too," Kyung Soo replied.

"I don't used to call you oppa then," Chaerin laughed as Kyung Soo pouted silently.

"So?" Chaerin asked for the boy's opinion.

"Okay."

***

Chaerin waited patiently in the bus stop that Tuesday evening as Kyung Soo ran to her.

"I'm sorry for being late," Kyung Soo said.

"Don't worry. Let's go pick Kyung Jae first!" Chaerin happily said as they got into a bus.

"Be careful, you three," Mrs. Do said as Kyung Soo hugged her.

"Don't worry I'll be here to watch her," Kyung Won hugged his little brother as the smaller nodded.

Kyung Jae grinned happily when they walked together to the cafe. Kyung Soo ordered the vanilla flavour and Chaerin did too. Kyung Jae prefered to try chocolate flavour.

"It's good!" Kyung Jae slurped his bubble tea once again and munched the bubble happily.

"Nice to know that you like it," Chaerin said.

"Do you want to pick a flavour for mommy?" Kyung Soo said as his phone rang.

Kyung Won's name displayed as the caller and he picked it up. His heart ached to hear the news and he hardly breathed.

"What happen?" Chaerin confusely asked.

"We need to go to the hospital now," Kyung Soo said as Chaerin's eyes widened and Kyung Jae stared curiously at them.

"What is that hyung?" Kyung Jae asked.

"Let's go meet your mom, Kyung Jae," Chaerin tried to smile and guided them to the hospital.

"Why in here?" Kyung Jae asked as Kyung Soo stared at the emergency corridor, seeing his older brother sat there.

"Hyung," Kyung Jae snuggled to Kyung Won who hugged him tightly.

"She's not breathing," A nurse's voice made Chaerin as well as everyone shocked to hear that.

A doctor came out and Kyung Soo also Kyung Won headed to him. Chaerin held Kyung Jae and sat with him.

"We're sorry. We did our best," the doctor said as Kyung Soo tore out and cried heavily.

Kyung Won hugged Kyung Soo to calm him down but he also cried with him. Chaerin couldn't hold her tears again.

"Where's mommy?" Kyung Jae asked to Chaerin who tried to control herself.

"Your mom is now in heaven, Kyung Jae," She managed to say as she hugged Kyung Jae who at last crying too.

***

"What...," Suho stunned in his place as the others eyed him suspiciously.

"Wait let me turn on the loudspeaker," Suho managed to say.

"Guys...," Chaerin's voice was cracked from crying.

"What happened?" Xiumin asked.

"Kyung Soo's mom passed away," Chaerin answered as everyone stared at each other, loading the statement.

"H-how?" Jongin nearly cried.

"Heart attack," Chaerin answered.

Kris quickly asked for the hospital address and they decided to go there now. Chaerin met them in the lobby as she held Kyung Jae's arm.

"Kyung Jae," Luhan said as Kyung Jae ran into his embrace and cried again as Luhan brought him all along to the emergency corridor.

"Kyung Soo," Chanyeol called out as the younger ran into his hug, crying.

"Be strong Kyung Soo," Baekhyun hugged him also.

"We're really sorry," Sehun tried to hold his tears and hugged Kyung Soo too.

"Let me help you with all the matters," Kris finally said as he also tried not to cry.

"Okay," Kyung Won wiped his tears and followed Kris to prepare everything.

***

Kyung Soo stood there, helpless. He felt nothing but empty. His tears were dried and he couldn't cry anymore. Everyone already left and Chaerin stayed to protect him. She waited patiently and remembered how nice Mrs. Do was. She was lucky to meet her. Kyung Won patted Kyung Jae to calm him down but the youngest sobbed between his cry.

"Please don't cry. Mom will be sad to see you crying from heaven," Kyung Won wiped Kyung Jae's tears as they waited for Kyung Soo patiently in the van along with everyone.

Chaerin couldn't do more than just sat beside Kyung Soo and hugged him.

"Let it go, Kyung," She said as Kyung Soo cried, really cried.

***

Gloomy atmosphere everywhere and even the beagle line seemed to fall down because of the sudden event. Everybody left Kyung Soo for a while to have him calm down himself. But sometimes Jongin came with Sehun to bring him some sweets.

"I'm sorry about your mother," Mr. Lee said as Kyung Soo spaced out.

"Are you okay?" Mr. Lee asked again.

"Yeah."

"You should get some songs. Here I guess it will make you feel better. Try to sing it alone and absorb the lyric," He said as he gave Kyung Soo some partitures.

"Thank you sir."

Kyung Soo walked weakly to the dorm building and stared at the stairs.

"Rooftop," he murmured as his feet stepped on the stairs.

He opened the door and saw someone there.

Ave Maria?

Kyung Soo opened the door wider. He found Chaerin played the song and he knew it as Ave Maria composed by Bach.

Chaerin stopped playing when she felt a presence of someone.

"Kyung? How are you?" Chaerin smiled.

"Not good," Kyung Soo said as he sat beside Chaerin.

"What's that?" Chaerin took a look at papers which held by Kyung Soo.

"Some new songs."

"May I take a look?" Chaerin asked as Kyung Soo gave her one song.

"I can play this," with that, Chaerin lifted her violin and bow and started playing.

Somehow it made Kyung Soo felt better. He closed his eyes and drowned himself in the melody. He hummed some parts and Chaerin was glad to see Kyung Soo finally relaxed again.

"Thanks," Kyung Soo said after Chaerin ended the song.

"Not a problem."

"I'm... I'm thinking to bring Kyung Jae somewhere to ease his mind. He's just a kid and he must be the one who shocked the most."

"I'm agree then," Chaerin smiled.

So they did some new routines every weekend and ended up in their favorite cafe along with Kyung Jae and sometimes EXO came along and Kyung Won too. Even Jaemi was there to enchance the atmosphere.

"We should practice harder now," Jaemi said as everyone nodded that night.

"The audition is getting close," Tao felt himself shivering.

"I will fight for my dream!" Chaerin cheered as she lifted her latte.

"Cheers!" Jongdae led them to lift their drinks.

"To our dreams!" Chanyeol cheered as they tossed the glasses together that night.

Kyung Soo smiled and felt much better because he was surrounded by his friends. Kyung Jae also lifted his milkshake glass and Kyung Won laughed.

"Thank you," Kyung Soo finally said when he and Chaerin headed to their room which was next to each other.

"Your mom loves to see you smile so you need to smile often okay?" Chaerin asked.

"Okay," Kyung Soo blushed a little.

"See you then," Chaerin opened the door when Kyung Soo held her wrist.

"Yeah?"

Kyung Soo didn't realise about everything that he did. Chaerin's eyes widened as she shutted the door right away. She leaned onto the door and touched her lips.

"Did... Did he just try to kiss me?"