Entry :: {34}

Sora's Diary: A Twisted Tale of Love (Sequel)

 


"Sora's Diary: 

A Twisted Tale of Love"


 

Entry :: {34}

 

Eunkyung rolled over her bed as she read the last page of her favourite novel. She was too stuffed in her room and she needed some fresh air. It was a crazy idea to do this but she was going to do so, today.

Eunkyung slipped into the pair of soft slippers and also her night robe before heading out of the room. It was ridiculous of her to walk around the big residence like an intruder as she bent her back and walked on her toes to make her way to Daehyun’s study.

There laid the doors of his room but she thought of retreating. She was slightly afraid to ask for something when she barely did anything in this house. It was a shame to her. But nonetheless, her unconscious mind brought her bony hand to the doors and she gave it a soft knock. The sound of it woke herself up but before she could back away, an exhausted voice welcomed her in. Walking through the doors, the guy looked up to see her crouching her way towards him as her legs shuffled unconfidently.

“What’s wrong with you?” He returned back to his work and Eunkyung then played with her fingers as she thought of a way to ask for something.

“Um… I was just… um…”

Daehyun looked up at her and folded his arms as he rested against the study chair. “What do you want?”

“I want to ask for your permission…” She looked at him unsurely then transferred her gaze back onto the floor.

“I wanted to ask if maybe if I can take a day or two off to somewhere? I thought that I’ve been staying in this house for quite some time now so… yeah…” She breathed out the anxiety that she held in, afraid if rejection were to be the outcome. Daehyun smirked and shook his head in return. He leaned forward against the desk and threw some positive hints at her through his smile.

“You’re talking as though we’ve kept you in here like a bird. Well sure, of course, take a break from here if you want. A week? A month? It doesn’t matter! You have my permission.” He smiled.

Eunkyung’s smile grew wider and her teeth flaunted as well. She clasped her hand, about to thank and bow to her fiancé until he coughed out another hopeless statement.

“But I’m not the one that controls hell’s gates. Please proceed to the third floor and seek permission from the Lord.” He smiled with an effort that made his whiskers dimples show. Eunkyung knew he was being sarcastic. She knew about Daehyun and his mother’s bad relation as she often hear some arguments from the First Lady’s room. Eunkyung rolled her eyes at him and groaned before making her way out of his study room. In all honesty, she couldn’t understand how this guy used to be someone that she fell for deeply.

With more anxiety building up in her heart, she walked back up to the third floor and walked down the corridor to meet the First Lady. Eunkyung appeared at the doors and noticed that they weren’t closed. They were ajar and she could see right through the small opening that she was having a phone call with someone. She planned to walk away until she heard a little detail that concerned their wedding.

“I’m pushing forward the wedding. In three months’ time, they shall get married and you shall do whatever it takes to keep her away from them.”

It sounded more like an instruction to which Eunkyung hide behind the door nervously, eavesdropping on their conversation.

Three months? But our wedding was supposed to be by the end of this year… Why is she rushing? And who is she keeping us away from?

But that wasn’t the end of the surprise. Eunkyung heard these words specifically from .

“Don’t ask me what you should do. I gave you the instruction, you plan it well. Do whatever you want but don’t hurt her. And before I forget, my supplies, send them to my son’s place as usual. I’m expecting it to be there in three days.”

She sounded extremely cold and harsh. Her voice was too controlling as though she was ready for a kill. Eunkyung staggered backwards carelessly that her hip knocked against a vase that decorated the front doors of the First Lady’s study room. It caused a slight stir of noise but Eunkyung managed to hold the fragile item in place. She sighed out of relief, thinking that her mistake was unheard of until a flinty voice called her in.

Eunkyung gulped hard as she was intending to make a U-turn after the accidental eavesdropping but it’s too late to sweep away her clumsy act. Eunkyung made her way delicately with a sense of nervousness into her room as she kept her head low.

Mrs Jung lifted her head from the table to the young lady in front of her and stretched an unexpected smile on her face.

“Is anything the matter?” She asked, sounding more divine.

Eunkyung locked eyes with her but she was tongue-tied and forgot her point of seeking for her. Mrs Jung repeated her question once again with her brows tensed this time which made Eunkyung stutter the roaming thoughts in her mind.

“I-I want to ask f-for your p-permission.”

“And what it is, dear?”

She took in a deep breath and braved herself. “I was wondering… maybe if you could grant me a permission to go on a short trip to somewhere…”

Mrs Jung blinked at her with that evident smile, still plastered on her face. She clicked the end of her pen and grabbed the curved handle of the tea cup that was sitting next to her company’s folder. “Of course, it’s been a long time since you’ve had some fresh air, hm? I’ve told Secretary Lim to prepare a short trip for the both of you to Busan. I was about to break the news to you tomorrow morning actually that you’ll be leaving in three days. So since you know about it now, you can start packing tonight if you want to.”

Eunkyung’s shoulders fell at the mention of two people in her statement. What she meant by fresh air was simply herself alone. Eunkyung didn’t want any more planned trips as she got tired of this controlled feeling living in this residence that upholds the name of two prestigious leaders. It suffocated her to the point that she even lost interest in the guy that she used to love.

“N..No.” She uttered.

Mrs Jung retrieved the teacup that she had brought to her lower lip and shifted her gaze to her. “I’m sorry?”

“Sorry Mrs Jung but… I don’t want to go on a trip with Daehyun.”

“And why is that so?”

Her menacing voice gave Eunkyung a chill down her spine. She was wondering if Mrs Jung would understand her as the respected woman had been so nice to her for the past two years. But it’s been two tiring years that kept Eunkyung away for love, care and friends. She couldn’t stand but to tell the older woman about the truth that she had been wanting for the world to know. 

“Bec-cause I don’t like him.”

It was the first time Eunkyung was seeing a gradual frown on Naomi Jung’s face. Those godly smiles of hers that were painted on commercials and papers were now unseen. Eunkyung hadn’t prepared herself for this and she was regretting every ounce of the audacity that powered in her a few seconds ago.

“I’m sorry Eunkyung but can you phrase it in a more sophisticated way that an educated person like you, would say?” Those eyes… Those taunting eyes… Eunkyung was already bracing herself for a sudden outburst of hers.

“I apologise for my behaviour but I have no interest in your son, First Lady…”

Mrs Jung in a deep breath seemingly as though every person in the house was testing her patience. She placed the cup of tea elegantly on its saucer and clasped her hands before giving Eunkyung a tight smile.

“Oh dear… What should I do? Break off the long-awaited wedding? Or maybe… find you another man that you love? Sweetheart… sorry, but I can’t do any of those. I believe you’ve heard enough just now. Your wedding is set in three months and you both will be marrying each other despite the dislike or whatsoever. Daehyun’s doing well complying with it even though he’s more disagreeing than you are so I suggest that you get over your fantasies and endure it well like Daehyun. Your mother and I have put so much effort in this, Eunkyung. Make her really proud just for once.” She stared deeply into Eunkyung’s eyes but this time, the strong gaze was left behind and she was showing a sense of plead towards her.

“And I’m sorry that you can’t leave on your own too. What will the people say if they ever see you around on a trip without your fiance? I believe that I’m thoughtful enough to send you both for a break frequently despite the workloads that are forever piling on my desk… So now if there’s nothing else to it, please have a good night, Miss Shin. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Just like that, Mrs Jung put on her reading glasses and continued marking on some contracts after she dismissed Eunkyung. But the lady stood there stiffly instead, not believing such a calm reply from Mrs Jung. Eunkyung then bowed at her and be careful not to drag her feet while she’s on her way out of her room.

Eunkyung walked out of the doors but something caught her by surprise.

A hand hovered over and another pulled her away to his side. He shut the door swiftly after the girl made her way out of the room.

“Yah! What is wrong with you?” She whispered as she wiped her lips that were smeared with her own saliva. Daehyun pulled her hand and placed a finger over his lips to signal her to keep it low. He then brought her to the ground floor where the part of the house was finally dark and silent. They dragged their feet to the garden balcony where nature breathed miraculously.

“What’s the matter?” She asked again. Daehyun made her sit first before he dragged a high stool to sit in front of her as well.

“I heard it. Are you… kidding us? Speaking in front of Naomi Jung like that?”

Eunkyung nearly stopped breathing. She swore that she had been thoughtless as to how Daehyun could’ve felt for his own mother. She felt sorry that she had disrespected his mother which could’ve upset him regardless of their bad relation. It slipped her mind that no matter how big the argument between a mother and son is, they are still a family that loves each other without having to say those words out.

“I’m sorry for being rude to your mother. I was a little stuffed so I-”

“No, not that. I was asking how you could talk about your interest just like that. Do you think that witch cares about anything? Your feelings and mine, do you think she cares about them? You’re a joke, Eunkyung. Did you hope for her to cancel the wedding with that confession of yours?”

“What?” Eunkyung asked, rather shocked with his response. Jung Daehyun, he just called the First Lady a witch. Only then Eunkyung realised how strong the hatred game between them was. But she still wondered if there’s at least one percent of love that lingers between them.

“We’re still getting married no matter what, Eunkyung. I’ve tried everything to put an end to this but nothing’s going to change anything. With that little confession of yours, it’s just a peanut-sized effort as compared to mine.” Daehyun rolled his eyes on her and finally sitting back on the stool.

“All I asked for was a short trip alone… I wasn’t really asking for an end to this wedding.” Her eyes wandered off the ground, looking fazed. Daehyun diverted his eyes to her, looking as blank as she was. So… he came a little bit late and got the story wrong? When he appeared by the doors, he could only hear Eunkyung’s confession of her not having any interest in him.

Daehyun bit his lower lip as he rubbed the nape of his neck. “Oh…” He looked down in embarrassment.

His silence brought a smile over to Eunkyung’s face. “I asked her if I could go on a short trip and she said that she had already planned one for us. I objected since I wanted to go on a trip by myself and that’s when she started to ask me why. I had to be honest you know, because this thing is really stuffing me. I can’t imagine us getting married and this continue to prolong. I feel like Rapunzel, being locked up in her room or something.” She sighed. Daehyun noticed her lethargic eyes. Yes, she barely did anything around the house but she slept a lot more than a normal human should and it’s messing her body clock.

“I’m sorry.” He simply apologised.

“What for?” Eunkyung asked in surprise.

“Everything. Sorry for mistreating you and all. If we had talked more often and became closer, I bet you wouldn’t have felt this way. But I was afraid… afraid that that would only amplify your feelings for me. That explains my cold treatment towards you all these while.”

Eunkyung scrolled her eyes on the ground. She never knew that Daehyun was fighting himself to treat her differently all along. Now she knew why he would always throw her despicable words even though at times those words would slip away into some kindness because that’s not originally the type of person he is. She knew that he’s a kind and warm-hearted person and for him to treat her that way only made her think that there’s a reason to it.

A curve was traced on her lips. Now, there’s nothing for him to worry about. She could be a little fond of him but those wild feelings that she reserved for him no longer linger in her heart.

“It’s okay. I understand that Sohee is the reason for this. She’s really lucky to have someone that would only look at her and not anybody else.”

Daehyun chuckled. He wasn’t going to agree with what she said but her words were right after all, he only had his eyes on Sohee.

“Actually I thought I had won at first. But this isn’t fate at all. We’re both tied down by your mother and for me to think that i’ve won you over Sohee was stupid. We only agreed to give you up if you had made your mind to choose the woman that you love but you had to be with me. And there’s no love between us at all. I may have won you but Sohee won a more precious thing and that’d be your heart.” Eunkyung revealed the details of the game that they had agreed on the last time.

Daehyun felt ultimately sorry that Eunkyung had wasted years trying to make a chase after him and he decided to not even spare her a look. It all came down to a futile effort and now she’s living miserably. And soon, in the years to come, she’d be even more distressed if she continues living a life with no achievement.

“There’s no words for me to express how sorry I am, Eunkyung. I can only apologise now because I feel safer after I heard that you had no interest in me. I thought that we could be friends once you get over your feelings. It’d have only let your feelings grow if I were to be nice to you from the start…”

He thought that’d upset Eunkyung but the latter threw him a sincere smile instead. “Well, you did the right thing, Mr Jung. I’m glad we can talk comfortably now. Oh wait, you mean to say we’re friends now, right?”

Daehyun nodded slightly which made Eunkyung’s smile grow wider. He offered his hand towards her and she grabbed it gratefully.

“Friends.” He finally let out a smile that Eunkyung felt really thankful for.