Friend-zoned

Cold Hearted

I miss you. I love you. Come back. I couldn't get those stupid, needy words out of my head. Jessica had left a few hours before and I was left with the horrible task of telling Nicole. We'd fight, she'd cry, I'd be the idiot who starts yelling at her like that ed-up Brent. I'd eventually cry when I was finally alone, and then we'd never look at each other again.

"Hi, Nicole," I greeted her with a nervous smile when I saw her walk in the door. She frowned at me.

"I have to tell you something, oppa..." she started, but being the idiot I was, I decided that what I had to tell her was more important.

"I love Jessica. I'm such a moron! I'm so sorry!" I apologized. She smiled, her eyes lit up, and she hugged me.

"I'm so happy for you, oppa! She's a wonderful girl, and I'm sure you'll be very happy together!" she congratulated me. I hugged her back and smiled, despite the fact that I was confused as hell.

"Silly, you say that like we were never in love," I told her. She pulled away from me and I could see the tears in her eyes even though she was smiling.

"I was going to tell you the same thing, oppa," she whimpered happily, wiping her eyes. I gave her such a strange look....

"Wait, so are you coming out or something...?" I asked confusedly with an awkward smile. She backed away and hit me playfully.

"No! I was going to tell you that I love Chanyeol," she said with a giggle. "Pabo-ya, I wouldn't have dated you if I were a lesbian."

Her words, "I love Chanyeol." They felt like daggers against my heart. Why would she tell me that? Of course, why wouldn't she? I had just told her the good news about Jessica and me. But it literally hurt to hear those words. I thought I would be okay with this. I thought Jessica would take me away from this pain. I thought wrong, like always.

I hid the my tears away. "I'm so happy for you! I can't believe you didn't tell me any sooner, Nicole-sshi!" I said excitedly. She was crying, but her tears were of joy. Like mine should've been, and I wanted them to be, but it hurt like someone was whipping me in hopes that it would fix my broken heart.

"Baekkie, I just found out tonight. But I'm glad you're so nice to me about it. I was afraid you'd be mad," she said. I hugged her again, begging for her heart to return to me. But I knew it wouldn't, so all I could do was watch the girl whose heart I had captured give that love to someone else. It made me so sad, which meant that I wanted both Nicole and Jessica to myself. I was too selfish for my own good.

At least I knew her heart was no longer frozen. But it was beating for someone else.

"Can I just say that one thing, one last time?" I asked in a quivering voice. She nodded, knowing what I meant. I hugged her tightly for the last time. "I love you," I whispered in her ear. I told myself it was no longer true.

"I love you, too," she returned. It felt so nice to hear this, so I hung on every word. Neither of us meant it anymore, and I would just have to live with that.

"We'll stay friends, right?" I asked, letting her body drift off of mine. She looked into my eyes and nodded.

"We'll stay best friends. I don't know what I would do if we didn't," she stated. These words soothed my broken heart, even if she was taken. If she wasn't mine anymore, it made me feel more at ease that Chanyeol was the one to take care of her. He was a nice guy that obviously loved her and wouldn't leave her, and he definitely treated her better than I- tears came from my eyes now. I couldn't stop them.

"Excuse me for a second," I said as I left her and ran up to my room. I locked the door and crawled under the cool bedsheets and blankets on my bed. My face was buried in the pillow and hot tears blotted into my comfy headrest. I stayed like that until my heat grew unbearable under the covers. I moved to the floor, leaning my head against the exposed and cold wall. It was funny because I knew some lyrics to an old EXO song that we never released that reminded me of the moment.

I never thought I'd be crying on the floor for this,
I never thought that it would end like this,
And I never thought that would be our last kiss...
I need you, you know I do.
You loved me, so why would you leave?
But I love you now, so come back.
I know my words are unheard under your thoughts of him,
But I miss you. And I love you. Please come back.

I suddenly realized that these words were playing in my head earlier. It was this song. Maybe my memories were trying to warn me. But I wouldn't have gotten why it was this song anyway, because I'm a . I wiped away the last of my tears and left my room to go back downstairs. I would have to fake a smile whenever I had to be happy for her and Chanyeol. I would have to pretend that my broken heart didn't exist. I would have to be her best friend and stay in that position for the rest of my life.

I would have to force myself to never cry again.

"Hello, oppa," she said sweetly. I smiled at her, but it wasn't faked.

"Hello, Nicole-sshi," I replied, ruffling her hair like a little sister. As I took my hand back, she frowned and grabbed it, putting it back on her head.

"Now move it side to side," she commanded. I giggled and obeyed, feeling her head bobbing side to side even without my help. I pulled my hand back and saw her head rocking back and forth like she was a child with music. I giggled at her cute action, but she stopped and looked at me, concerned.

"What?" I asked.

"What happened to your eyes? Why are they so puffy?" Nicole asked. My smile faded.

"Well, I might be allergic to something...." I tested. This made her pout.

"To what?" I smiled mischievously.

"I'm allergic to weird things, like you," I said jokingly. Her smile returned and she giggled. Her smile only reminded me that I would have to stop loving her. I would have to save her for Chanyeol, like Jessica saved me for Nicole.

My heart was warmed again by the sweet thought of Jessica. I just hoped it would last with her.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry if this chapter was a little short. I was sort of tired when I wrote this... I hope you like the chapter. Subscribe, comment, and upvote! I love you guys! I never thought I'd get to twenty chapters. Wow. Hashi Konata Fighting!